mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Looking for people with knowledge of 55 degree whitworth British Threads

I like to think i'm a pretty competent machinist and am pretty good with my machines. Anyway, i decided i wanna build my own take at a delisle carbine. For those of you who don't know, its a 45 acp integrally suppressed rifle built off of the british enfield action. Ive gotten most parts around, picked up a 45 barrel blank and reamer, now im to the part of contouring and threading the barrel. Heres where i cant find much info on what kinda tooling i need to cut the threads correctly, since im assuming its a really bad idea to try and use standard 60 degree. I was hoping some of the machinists on here may have some more knowledge of them than i. Ive found carbide threading inserts, but not completely sure which one i need, few different numbers and such. Thought about grinding a piece of hss, but dont have any real get way to get it precise. If anyone has the capability to grind a piece of hss to what i need, id gladly be willing to pay you for it. So thanks in advance, and ill leave a picture of what im going for for your viewing pleasure.

Derf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to BigOldSkool

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Check with Brownells they might have a cutting tool for it.

They have been a good source for odd cutting tools lately....

RIP - Ed "BigDaddy" Roth and "Indian" Larry
Wild Geese - Coney Isand White Fish - ECA
BOS's Feedback!
What Serial Number Is Your Cocker? WTB
ECAP - "Making players dreams other players nightmares"
COUSINS PAINTBALL
BigOldSkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

cool project, make it so!
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
cool project, make it so!
Thanks man, im working on it, just need to find an 80yr old British machinist. Lol.

Ill look into brownells, haven't been on there in a while. Thanks
Old 03-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

find someone who works on BSA Motorcycles. half, if not most of the threading on them are Whitworth threads.

conversely, since you are rebuilding a firearm, and modern firearms don't use Whitworth, so i wouldn't think that it would matter. so i would take this to a reputable gun smith who can do a thread conversion and get it tight. as for airsmith/machinists, i would contact Doc Nickle. he has done real firearm work but the regulations or his "legality" of working on them would be for him to decide.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post

conversely, since you are rebuilding a firearm, and modern firearms don't use Whitworth, so i wouldn't think that it would matter. so i would take this to a reputable gun smith who can do a thread conversion and get it tight. as for airsmith/machinists, i would contact Doc Nickle. he has done real firearm work but the regulations or his "legality" of working on them would be for him to decide.
Yes I am rebuilding it, but I'm using the original receiver that's the part that has the threads I need, I'm not modifying it due to strength issues and whatnot. Thought about asking doc if he had any experience with those oddball threads. It's a pretty straight foreword job, and I'm plenty capable of doing it, just looking for advice on what tooling I need to cut it and any other quirks I may run into.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

When I had to turn W threads, I just grounded some carbide brazed threading tool to 55* with a protractor and found the constant in the machinery handbook to calculate the over wire measurement I should get for the standard I was doing. You don't need a 80yo machinist for that, it's not that complicated..

Looking for:
BPS Reflex parts
MorueM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Moruem- proabably the route ill end up going. I've noticed that they have more of a rounded profile on the peak and whatnot. Did you just basically cut the threads to correct depth and file to fit? One of the inserts I foud had your typical point, then also had the reverse next to it to round the top.

I know I don't "need" one, but would be interesting to pick their brain about stuff like that.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

like i said, find a shop that deals with BSA or even just old English motorcycles. even if its to talk to the mechanic, who could point you in the right direction to maybe a machinist that could help you better. putting a call into every machine shop and ask them if they know what Whitworth threads are can give you your answer rather quickly.

Brand New Furious Harnesses for ICD electros
Best place for all things ICD
MCB_feedback
AO_feedback
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat