mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Any Surfers around? (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/229349-any-surfers-around.html)

Panda 03-21-2013 02:00 PM

Any Surfers around?

Hey I've just started to surf and wanted to know if any other of you guys surfed. I just grabbed my first real wet suit, a O'Neill Epic 2 in 4/3 mm. Any big do's and don'ts? I Surf a 8'6" foot Costco board but will move up to a 8 foot fun board as soon as I am comfortable with my pop ups. Eventually I would like to grab a 6-7 foot short board to use when the waves get bigger, but that won't be for a long time. Any work outs I should do to improve my paddling? Thanks in advance!

sniper42 03-21-2013 02:50 PM

I used to surf a little. I am more into bodyboarding though. I thought the best workouts for paddling were to do some swimming and just to get out and paddle. After going regularly for a couple weeks you'll be pretty used to paddling.

Arson24 03-21-2013 03:13 PM

I surf or try to every year at least once, but the location I need to get to there is a ferry and then a 4 hour drive..

tips: just learn to pop up smoothly
have fun :D

Surf2Live 03-21-2013 10:07 PM

The best exercise for improving your paddling is paddling. Time in the water is invaluable when learning, just get out as much as possible. Work your core and shoulders/back for improving your control and balance before and after you're up and riding. If you have any buddies that surf go out with them and have them watch you to give you advice on what you are doing right and what you could use improvement.

Let me know if you make it down my direction. I'll paddle out with ya'!

sniper42 03-21-2013 10:14 PM

We should do an MCB Socal surf day. :p

pk5 03-21-2013 10:24 PM

Panda are you sure you would be comfortable on a shorter board? Last I remembered you were ridiculously tall.

Surf2Live 03-22-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper42 (Post 2661515)
We should do an MCB Socal surf day. :p

Yes please!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pk5 (Post 2661527)
Panda are you sure you would be comfortable on a shorter board? Last I remembered you were ridiculously tall.

Shouldn't matter but it's all personal preference. I'm 6'3" 185lbs and my daily shortboard is 6'0". I just ordered a new 5'8" groveler for the mushy summer stuff that's coming from my buddy that makes my boards.

pk5 03-22-2013 12:05 AM

How much does your buddy charge to make a board?

Surf2Live 03-22-2013 12:07 AM

Depends on what you want but he's within the average market. He has a few standards but will custom shape and do custom art too. Check him out and tell him Anson sent you: Muléke Surfboards

He's also a distributor for FCS and Creature so he has good prices on fins, leashes, tail pads, and socks/bags.

HyePower 03-22-2013 12:39 AM

I used to bodyboard, but broke my board and the water here is really cold, so I stopped. I should get back into it again, with a wetsuit this time.