mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
the dude abides

does anyone else dislike FedEx?

hey folks, I have been doing a lot of shipping recently over the past 3 months. Has anyone else noticed that FedEx is just about the worst shipping option?

I have been keeping a tally of how long shipping times are with different carriers. I have been keeping track of the big three. I have considered all of my shipments in and out over the past 3 months and grouped the data into vectors of variable coefficients.

I am in the process of actually proving (definitively with a mathematical model not just showing case by case evidence) that FedEx sucks and should be avoided at all costs.

my goal is to submit the data along with a treatise on shipping efficiency to some of the big paintball suppliers and hopefully we can eliminate the FedEx as a mandatory option for shipping via internet order.

does anyone else feel that USPS is far superior as a shipping option? Do you folks think that being forced to select FedEx and UPS as shipping option is unfair to the consumer?
davehome333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Member

It's paintball stuff not heart mediciation. If a company is using Fedex it's because they probably have a decent shipping rate and as long as people get their orders no company is going to switch shipping companies because it takes you an extra day to get your barrel swabs.
Agglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

USPS is the cheapest, fastest, and most reliable shipper for small to medium sized packages.
UPS beats the hell out of packages but offers the best rate for shipping large boxes.
Fedex takes the longest but is the choice of many businesses due to huge price cuts on business accounts.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Its the opposite in Chicago. Fedex might take longer but I always get my order. At one point we were rayed the worst post office in the country. As for ups I've never gotten a package from them that didn't have holes or the **** kicked out of it. Chicago has a corrupt government and even more corrupt unions so the employees are untouchable. One week I didn't get my mail for an entire week. When I first moved in ups for 3 months straight couldn't find my address and I had to pick eventhing up in the Depot because the delivery guy was too lazy to run his route. One time I had to chase the guy down to even get them to stop and check my address. After mailing a postcard that made it they finally started delivering to my address with a 50% success rate.

FedEx has been nothing but stellar and their customer service is amazing.

Logistics is totally regional with the only consensus of ups being the all around worst.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
Its the opposite in Chicago. Fedex might take longer but I always get my order. At one point we were rayed the worst post office in the country. As for ups I've never gotten a package from them that didn't have holes or the **** kicked out of it. Chicago has a corrupt government and even more corrupt unions so the employees are untouchable. One week I didn't get my mail for an entire week. When I first moved in ups for 3 months straight couldn't find my address and I had to pick eventhing up in the Depot because the delivery guy was too lazy to run his route. One time I had to chase the guy down to even get them to stop and check my address. After mailing a postcard that made it they finally started delivering to my address with a 50% success rate.

FedEx has been nothing but stellar and their customer service is amazing.

Logistics is totally regional with the only consensus of ups being the all around worst.
the lesson here is to avoid living near Chicago. I was actually just talking with a guy about this earlier today.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rec Poster

FedEx wins hands down for customer service to the company shipping your stuff. Their business rates usually beat the competition as well (I deal with fedex almost daily at work).

From a consumer point of view, I'm happy to pay a few bucks less and wait an extra day. USPS has been a pain as far as lost/damaged packages go.
Loochy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
the dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agglet View Post
It's paintball stuff not heart mediciation. If a company is using Fedex it's because they probably have a decent shipping rate and as long as people get their orders no company is going to switch shipping companies because it takes you an extra day to get your barrel swabs.
I am not willing to settle for mediocrity regardless of what is being shipped.

Also, just because I am bringing this to the paintball communities attention does not imply that all of my issues are with shipping paintball related gear. FedEx just sucks here in south florida.

Last edited by davehome333; 03-23-2013 at 10:02 PM.
davehome333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Hate them. They are expensive, the people at the FedEx pick up spot (ie if someone puts a PO box address for FedEx delivery, or it's something you need to sign for and you miss that) are pretty snotty and it's a PITA to get in and out of during traffic-ie times.

I'm not big on UPS either.

USPS works for me.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
In my experience, FedEx had the fewer occurrences of damage over UPS. When my company switched from FedEx to UPS, I started getting crushed boxes more often. I can't really compare with USPS as I don't get as many shipments from the same place with USPS.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
boo
Banned

I also want to point out that if you have a preferred shipper get an account with that shipper and take control of your own shipping. Most businesses and forum people are fine using an emailed shipping label. Best part is it gets rid of the excuses if someone trys to pull one over on you. If someone sends me an empty box I assume it gets lost in shipping and at least fedex is good about honoring insurance. I know when someone sends something and if they give me noise about not having the time I can dispatch a fedex pickup to their house. It also gives me the shippers address since I need it on the label for the return address. Not going to be home to recieve a package? Since its your account you can call and reroute it to your work or, at least with fedex to a nearby fedex kinkos location.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat