mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #51 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Not really - what's a ZL1 Camaro worth? Like $60 large after all the goodies get tossed on?

What was a big block Camaro worth in '69? Maybe $3-4 grand? Wasn't much more over the base model price.... look at a base Camaro now vs. the ZL1, arguably the top model available.
In addition to what is mentioned above, a new car comes with massive amounts of extras not found 40-50 years ago. Emission controls, safety devices, engine management. Just try to get those things in 1970, you'd need a military budget. Whether you want that stuff is a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
Yea but your dash will still be cheap plastic no thanks
But that 'expensive' plastic in a muscle car is a lot ****tier than what you find in any new car.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #52 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
well for $55grand the General will sell you a new Camaro with no engine

Chevy offering Camaro rolling chassis for drag racers
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay
I agree with Don.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #53 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elraido View Post
I don't know about that. My father in law had a 70 GT500 Convertible, 68(?) Fastback, 69 Boss....among several others, and he even he admits most cars today are head and shoulders above what he had back then. And I doubt a 289 could "easily pass" 125. If you were going by the speedometer, it would have been off. Speedometers are notoriously off at high speeds. On our SVT Contours, people would always come on to the forums and say that they hit 160 mph in them because they pegged the speedo. Only thing is, they are drag limited to 143 mph. The speedos are that much off because they aren't really calibrated to go that fast.
I'm not arguing that new cars aren't better. Ride in those old cars for more than an hour and your back is sore and your neck feels like a rubber band.

And sure it will hit 125. I've clocked us doing 124 with a GPS. The problem is the aerodynamics. It handles like a giant bar of soap after about 90. Modern cars are hands down the better performers. A base model v6 mustang would run circles around the old 68.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #54 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
In addition to what is mentioned above, a new car comes with massive amounts of extras not found 40-50 years ago. Emission controls, safety devices, engine management. Just try to get those things in 1970, you'd need a military budget. Whether you want that stuff is a different story.

But that 'expensive' plastic in a muscle car is a lot ****tier than what you find in any new car.
That's why i dont buy american.
Aka "wagz" on the field
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Keebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elraido View Post
I don't know about that. My father in law had a 70 GT500 Convertible, 68(?) Fastback, 69 Boss....among several others, and he even he admits most cars today are head and shoulders above what he had back then. And I doubt a 289 could "easily pass" 125. If you were going by the speedometer, it would have been off. Speedometers are notoriously off at high speeds. On our SVT Contours, people would always come on to the forums and say that they hit 160 mph in them because they pegged the speedo. Only thing is, they are drag limited to 143 mph. The speedos are that much off because they aren't really calibrated to go that fast.
My uncle had a 65 Mustang with the 289, the speedometer only went up to 120, but IIRC the car could do 140mph from the factory.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 PM   #56 (permalink)
Post Whore

Considering that in american cars its typically the sensors that go bad in the first place
Aka "wagz" on the field
Old 04-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #57 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
apparently mustang drivers are the same overseas

Watch A British Ford Mustang Driver Crash And Make An *** Of Himself
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteekay
I agree with Don.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #58 (permalink)
Banned

beater car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=369h-SEBXd8
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #59 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Well, emissions equipment hasn't changed since the 70's - we still use EGR valves, catalytic converters, and feedback fuel systems. Safety devices still include seat belts and air bags (first air bag offered in a GM was in the early 70's), ABS was also offered on some 60's Chryslers. All very expensive options, and definitely something I DON'T need in a new car.

"Engine management" is just a crappy band-aid fix for poor engine design.
The basic functions of emission part might be the same, but they are not the same. Saying they haven't changed is like saying clothes haven't changed in 2000 years, because we still wear shirts and pants. Yes, safety devices include seat belts and air bags. But modern cars can have 9 or more of them (each costing hundreds of dollars.) Not to mention safety cages, crumple zones, traction control, lane departure, and other crash avoidance systems.

You can sum up engine management to poor engine design, but in the end, the newer car with the 'poorly designed engine' puts out more power using less gas and lasts longer with less maintenance.

Just because you don't need it doesn't mean you aren't getting more for your money.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #60 (permalink)
Post Whore

I really like the rear turn signals on the newer mustangs
Aka "wagz" on the field

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat