mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

my spyderco Byrd Crow has a 2.75" blade... and that's even a bit longer than I really want. One of these days I'm going to spec out a blade and have someone grind out some blanks for me (I still don't have the machines on hand to do it myself). I think realistically, something in the 2-2.5" range that is stout is ideal for everyday pocket carry. So long as it has good steel (Holds an edge and won't snap) and has a good grip/handle... you could have a knife with a 1.5" blade and be able to hold your ground if someone attacked you.

BUT!!!!!!!!

Once you are in knife fighting range all bets are off and you need to be as FAST and as DANGEROUS as possible. There is no dicking around if you get within touching range of an assailant.

You pretty much need to get the first cut in and make sure it's a good one and makes your attacker realize that this was a really bad decision.

Now... an EDC knife does NOT have to be a defense knife. If you look at a lot of knives that people carry for EDC, they are in no way designed as pig stickers. Also... some of the good designs that would work as a really good pig sticker are also illegal in many municipalities because the have two sharpened edges. The Fairbairn/Sykes dagger is an AWESOME knife (Fairbairn) .. the modified version Applegate-Fairbairn is even better Applegate, but again, it's illegal and as a fixed blade is not easily carried without drawing attention.

So, just something else to think about... balancing a knife as a tool for general uses and defense.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
Roger that.

Ill look at those links when I am home. I work in a bank and I am pretty sure that will get me flagged lol.

But I agree with you totally. Perps biggest advantage is the element of surprise. If you can take that away from them than the battle in most cases is already won.

The EDC I have is for defense first. Not so much as a tool. Given my line of work I dont need a tool EDC unless I am looking for a letter opener. Mostly defense would suffice. When I am at home / around the apartment my Cold Steel is more of a tool EDC than anything else really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitti View Post
my spyderco Byrd Crow has a 2.75" blade... and that's even a bit longer than I really want. One of these days I'm going to spec out a blade and have someone grind out some blanks for me (I still don't have the machines on hand to do it myself). I think realistically, something in the 2-2.5" range that is stout is ideal for everyday pocket carry. So long as it has good steel (Holds an edge and won't snap) and has a good grip/handle... you could have a knife with a 1.5" blade and be able to hold your ground if someone attacked you.

BUT!!!!!!!!

Once you are in knife fighting range all bets are off and you need to be as FAST and as DANGEROUS as possible. There is no dicking around if you get within touching range of an assailant.

You pretty much need to get the first cut in and make sure it's a good one and makes your attacker realize that this was a really bad decision.

Now... an EDC knife does NOT have to be a defense knife. If you look at a lot of knives that people carry for EDC, they are in no way designed as pig stickers. Also... some of the good designs that would work as a really good pig sticker are also illegal in many municipalities because the have two sharpened edges. The Fairbairn/Sykes dagger is an AWESOME knife (Fairbairn) .. the modified version Applegate-Fairbairn is even better Applegate, but again, it's illegal and as a fixed blade is not easily carried without drawing attention.

So, just something else to think about... balancing a knife as a tool for general uses and defense.

E
Old 03-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #33 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Also a thought.... I saw someone that was making kydex sheaths for folding knives that you wear on your belt. Knife is held horizontally along your belt. It seemed like a very good solution. One problem I have is that I wear different kinds of pants... some days chinos, other days jeans, other times cords. Each has a different pocket design and a different material thickness.. each present it's own benefit or hindrance for a quick draw of a folding knife. In reality, a folding knife is not a good knife for a quick draw, but we accept that because of it's conceal-ability.... so I think moving forward some kind of horizontal sheath might be a good thing.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #34 (permalink)

Huge fan of these things: FordEx Group 300lm Mini Cree Led Flashlight Torch Adjustable Focus Zoom Light Lamp - Amazon.com
Less than $6, runs off a single, garden-variety AA, and is brighter than any mag-lite I've owned.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
The mini Mag lights with the triple LED bulb upgrade and the push button base cap are pretty awesome for the $25-30 you will have invested in it. They are great lights.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #36 (permalink)

I don't know what the name for it is, but the newer white LED elements seem to be orders of magnitude more powerful than the more common ones, and run on less voltage to boot.

I've got a triple-LED converted mini-mag lite, and I was staggered by how much brighter my $6 CREE light was in comparison, and that's running on half the AAs.

The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #37 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
How durable is the Cree light though? I like mag lights because they are tough and I also like that they are made in the USA. I have never had one I was not happy with, they are very good flashlights. They aren't the cheapest but you get what you pay for, others may be brighter but if you drop that cheap bright light a few times and it breaks, you will be wishing you paid a little more for the Mag or something else of good quality.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #38 (permalink)
Banned

First off I suggest moving. For lights I prefer streamlights. Great lights with a lifetime no questions asked warranty. For multi tool I like gerber. In fact I just got a gerber 600st. Since you love in ny a regular 600 would be better since you can't have rifles. ( no need for the sight adjuster tool in the st).
Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #39 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
I think I'm going with this. Check the box on all the items I need in one nice storage package. I'll get the leatherman for my tool box at home. Compact and mobile and at least I have something in the event of an emergency.

Bear Grylls Survival Tool Pack

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat