mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rec Poster

I have only listed on ebay twice and neither item sold. However those items were a dune buggy chassis, and then a complete sandrail, both a lot more expensive and kind of limited interest items.
On both sales I was contacted 15 min. after the auctions ended by someone saying too bad it didn't sell but I am still willing to buy. And in both cases I sold them for what I wanted to begin with.

So for me ebay is just a craigslist that reaches a wider audience.

And then there are the friends of the seller that bid just to run the price up. They have no intention of buying the item and dont really want it. If it backfires and they win the auction of course no money changes hands, then they leave positive feedback to increase the sellers rating. A couple days later the item is back up for sale.
dave46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave46 View Post
I have only listed on ebay twice and neither item sold. However those items were a dune buggy chassis, and then a complete sandrail, both a lot more expensive and kind of limited interest items.
On both sales I was contacted 15 min. after the auctions ended by someone saying too bad it didn't sell but I am still willing to buy. And in both cases I sold them for what I wanted to begin with.

So for me ebay is just a craigslist that reaches a wider audience.
I've sold a few cars off ebay that way. I think that's pretty much how it works. Nobody wants to go through eBay to back out of a deal if something isn't right. Not to mention it's $200 if the auction is won, any buyer would rather save the $200.

When I was in the car parts business I had an eBay store with all our rare parts overpriced but listed a number to call with questions or if you were looking for other similar parts. Its cheap advertising as ebay auctions are aggregated pretty high in any search for hard to find stuff. It got tons of exposure and lots of calls.

I highly recommend doing this for any business that you spend money to online advertise.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Release the kraken

APS/Angel Official BST Link Thread - Page 19

Looks familiar, he said he was going to list it for $750 on ebay.
Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Blue resistance movement.

You will often see a price like that when the seller has changed their mind regarding the sale or has it sold locally. It is easier to edit your auction (if no bids) than it is to find the procedure to cancel the auction.

It puts the hands in the air or it gets the paint again.
Rickfactor2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

What has always killed me is why someone would bother to bid $2.00 on a $1 opening bid for an item that will obviously sell for hundreds of dollars. Do they really think that not a single one of the millions of people who are on Ebay every hour of the day are not going to notice this one particular auction for the entire freakin' week it is posted?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
the dude abides

anyone else refuse to bid on auctions that have reserve prices?
davehome333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Want to see my spaceship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehome333 View Post
You are not alone.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
When I was in the car parts business I had an eBay store with all our rare parts overpriced but listed a number to call with questions or if you were looking for other similar parts. Its cheap advertising as ebay auctions are aggregated pretty high in any search for hard to find stuff. It got tons of exposure and lots of calls.
My buddy Steve had a machine shop that specialized in large format cameras. He sold a really nice spanner wrench that he made himself on eBay for no reserve and no minimum bid...but in the auction he said "I sell this exact item for $35 shipped on my web site..." He would get cheep advertising and occasionally he'd have to sell a wrench for $8.

However, even though it said clearly that he sold the item for $35 shipped...people would STILL get into bidding wars and pay more than that.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehome333 View Post
I do all the time, but my thing is I set an alet in my smartphone for two minutes before an auction closes. Then, in the last 15 seconds I place a bid for the maximum amount I would consider spending. If I get it, I get it (and usually for less since people usually try to lowball at the last minute). If I don't get it then it wasn't meant to be...
Old 04-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

IMO Sniping is a waste... Either you are willing to spend the money or you are not. If you put up the money up front then the auction hits your maximum price long before it ends and people end up spending more than you obviously thought it was worth. Sitting there waiting for the last second to enter in your last second high price only means you are paying more than someone else obviously thought it was worth.

Sniping is only relevant if auctions are live and not automated...as the auctioneer is counting down the last 3 seconds you jump in with extra $10 bucks and take the auction. But with an automated system it will automatically take it up to the highest bid in increments. I could have put my max bid of $101 in yesterday and you could be sitting there today trying to snipe it at $100....you wait to the last second and click enter....you lose....too much stress worrying about it.

I do remember when Ebay was THE place to get great deals. Now there is so much new crap and used crap and new crap prices that I rarely go there anymore. I can still find off the wall sort of stuff out there that you just can't find anywhere else...but that is about it.
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat