mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
the dude abides

Ebay Observations

I have been using ebay since forever and I have noticed some trends that are a kind of funny and kind of irritating.

Yesterday I was looking around on ebay and I noticed an auction for two paintball markers (angel LCD and Angel G7). Although this was a single auction for two markers, the price was ABSURD. The minimum price was set to like $6000 and the buy it now price was $7500. So I sent the seller a message and asked "Is this a money embezzlement scheme?" I received no response from the seller, but today, the auction has been removed lol.

On another note. I just do not understand why people bid on things days before the auction is over. Sometimes it is kind of funny to watch an item go back and forth between two people who raise the price by $0.50 increments. I just sit back laugh because in some cases if I really want something I will bid snipe a $2000 maximum bid 5 seconds before the end of the auction. I just imagine there are two teenagers with their parents credit cards crying because they lost
davehome333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
boo
Banned

My mentality in ebay bidding war is if I can't get a deal neither will you. I'll bid right up to the point of absurdity but not over. My biggest regret in losing an auction is when I find out what I think is the point of absurdity is far less then the going value.

Truth be told I bid on stuff I have no intention of buying just to raise the price. In the rare event I win far below actual value I figure at the price I paid it was worth it. Sometimes I watch stuff shoot up far past its value because I've thrown down a good deal price bid on the first day, then I laugh.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

The only times I ever bid before a "snipe" timeframe are if:
- I want to disable the Buy-It-Now price (only do this on items I'm truly interested on, though - not like those others who just want to deny someone else a good deal), or,
- I get bored and want to bid some people up. Generally, again, I only do this on items I'm interested in up to the point of absurdity, like boo mentioned.
Yomillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I'm not an auction fan, really. I've used ebay auctions if they're a good price under what the items like sell for directly used or even new somewhere else.

that's how I got my fuzz pedal for guitar.. they had one on ebay that was $5 less than what it sold for new on another ebay user's page. Figured I'd give it a go. right at the end someone sniped the auction for $5 MORE than the identical item right above it on the list

Thanks buddy, forced me to save a few bucks and blew a few more yourself >: D
Old 04-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Brass N Wood Fan
RTP Fan
I love watching stuff on auction go sky high, yet someone else will have the same item $20 or more cheaper with a Buy It Now option.

http://feedback.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI...ab=AllFeedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gascolator View Post
DashHopes has a nelspot that has internals that were polished by Chuck Norris, using only his beard to polish them.
That nelspot never needs lube, shoots 2,000 ball per second, never needs reloaded, doesn't require an air source and when the paintball hits somebody the result is the same as if Chuck Norris round house kicked them.
He nick named the gun Reggie.
RIP
"heinous"
2006-2014
DashHopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
boo
Banned

The funniest is when items exceed the buy it now price in bid wars. Really, the only deals on ebay are the ones miscategorized or mispelled. I just picked up a really good condition ruger stock for a brass project a ways out for $25, bid early and expected to get outbid but ended up winning.

I remember someone telling me don't bother wasting your time sniping or getting into a bidding war, put your max bid in early and if it gets beat it was more then you wanted to spend on it anyways. It'll save you money in the long run.

Any time I try to snipe I go lower then I'm willing to spend trying to save a buck but end up regretting it. Every time I get into a bidding war I overpay.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

That's a good idea Boo, I'm gunna keep that in mind.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomillio View Post
- I get bored and want to bid some people up.
people like you is why i only snipe
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Made To

CCM Fan
I love when I put something up with a buy it now and someone kills it, then said item goes for $50 more than my buy it now.

Boston Creepers
MCB Feedback
tlane77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
people like you is why i only snipe
People like me is why I (generally) only snipe too

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
I remember someone telling me don't bother wasting your time sniping or getting into a bidding war, put your max bid in early and if it gets beat it was more then you wanted to spend on it anyways. It'll save you money in the long run.

Any time I try to snipe I go lower then I'm willing to spend trying to save a buck but end up regretting it. Every time I get into a bidding war I overpay.
See, when I snipe, I still have a predetermined maximum price. I won't sit there 'till I win it or anything. I simply increase my chances by putting my max price in at the end of the auction, compared to in middle of it. Though, there is something to be said for putting in a bid in the middle - if the item's price goes up early, less people will be interested (i.e., "watch" the item) before the item ends.
Yomillio is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat