mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

It depends. I have had some really ****ty professors. But their are 2 different types of professors at my community college (not sure if this applies to others). There are full time staff and part time. Practically all of my full time professors are great. They actually have learned a lot in their field and always shed light on what it's really like when you'll be finished college. My one business professor I've now took a class with twice always talks about her time on the field (worked with many big companies, all run differently). All the part time teachers don't care. They just do a huge lecture class where you just go in, listen (daydream because it's too boring to listen) and then wait till test day.

edit: And as for the saying above: "College professors don't have a clue how to live their lives. I mean, you know the old saying - those that can't DO - teach. " That is very correct, unless they've worked for a good amount of time in their field. I've had a few professors who used to make 6 figure salaries easy, but decided that they wanted to get out of the field and teach (Basically they wanted to retire, but decided they needed something to take their time up and decided to help students while making some money). A big amount of these teachers I've found have been Science professors/teachers (both in High School and College).

Last edited by Pr3mium; 04-14-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Pr3mium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #12 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre View Post
Yeah. College professors, by definition, are stupid.

TF

I personally had some of the best professors in my life in college. I realize you're just trying to be sarcastic, but many users won't get that. I mean, YOU might not know any good ones, but I've seen my fair share of awesome professors

My business school had some of the best ones out there. In the end, you still only get out what you put in though.

In college I took hard courses, had internships, was on a varsity sports team, and still did plenty of club stuff. I had no time to get into trouble. Heck, without doing all that, I would have been sitting on my butt most of the time doing who knows what. School would have been boring to me.

As for the teachers? I'm pretty sure there are more bad students than there are bad teachers.
google.com/+CarterBrown75
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
Yeah - but Carter - how many College Professors do you actually KNOW? All the ones I know are douche nozzles.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
I Am The Admin

Send a message via AIM to Painthappy

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
I guess it takes one to know one... douche nozzles that is....
google.com/+CarterBrown75
Painthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
Hey... what the heck is that supposed to mean?!

Carter,

What made your business school profs good? What qualities did you find made that particular school exemplary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3mium View Post
But their are 2 different types of professors at my community college (not sure if this applies to others). There are full time staff and part time. Practically all of my full time professors are great.
This can be true. I have been a full time Philosophy Professor for over 10 years now. What must be remembered, however, is that the state and federal government have made massive cuts to education - and the colleges (and universities) are trying to stop that money gap with part time professors.

These positions pay about 1,800 a class. So, if you taught a full time load (which you would need to do at three different colleges due to labor restrictions) and worked all year you would make about 25,000 a year - pre taxes. And you would need at least a Masters Degree to do it.

So, what you are getting are people that work other jobs and do not have as much time to prepare. You get what you pay for, in other words.

This theory is great if you are getting the lawyer or businessman who, out of the love of teaching, teach a class here or there. But in many cases you are getting neophyte professors who are working two or three jobs just trying to cut their teeth.

If we want a better education system - we need to be willing to pay. Certain industries REALLY feel this crunch. Even in the tech industries. Take Welding for instance. The lead welding prof at my school (an awesome Airborne Ranger vet that has forgotten more about welding than most will learn) could make about four times what he makes now by simply going into the field. How are you going to attract those who are really good if you are not willing to pay.

With that said - it is still the case that 6 out of every 7 dollars paid to get an education does NOT come from the student. If most students had to actually pay what it COST to go to college - most couldn't even come close. At my school a credit hour would go from something like 90 dollars a credit (in district) to somewhere around 500 a credit.

Carter flatly summed up the issue "You get out what you put in." Both as a student and as a citizen.

My tongue in cheek jokes were simply meant to repeat what I hear on a daily basis. However, when I look at those who often make these jokes, working 80 hours a week, in debt up to their eyeballs and on their second or third marriage - banking their happiness on work and lacking the want or ability to be reflective - I worry a lot less about their opinions.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.

Last edited by Talfuchre; 04-14-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
ICD-O Boss

Not a professor. Not even an adjunct, but by and large, the ones that I know are people. You know, Good ones and bad ones. Just like in every other walk of life. I love How there is No alternate perspective given. No opposing view. So, without corroborating evidence, the instructor is a heartless prejudice witch and the student is Lilly pure. Students encompass the same classes of people as instructors.
I take 9-10 hours every semester. Some of my instructors I Don't care for, some I do. The thing about it is, and I would hazard to say that this guy could benefit from learning this, you have to learn How to play nice with those that have influence over you. Never once have I been in a position where I didn't have to answer to someone, and cultivating a positive relationship never hurts. Just my hippie rant for the morning.
ICD-O: The MCB of the ICD world, sorta...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
In short... I don't know what I'm doing. I'll figure it out after another beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hula Popper View Post
It's my first day as a MCB member and that was well worth $10
63VDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Yeah. College professors, by definition, are stupid.

TF

i have actually had good professors both at community college and big university. all of them seem to care about the students and want them to succeed, even had office hours available.

the bad ones that i have come across don't really have an attitude problem, they're just not skilled in teaching. talking into the board, overly thick and hard to understand accents, erasing what he just wrote down 4 seconds later so that he doesn't have to stop lecturing to erase things, but the worse one kept making mistakes in his formulas every lecture, and i'm talking about math that builds upon the previous math, so he'll be 4 or 5 steps into it 20 minutes later when the 6th step doesn't add up before he realizes he messed up step 1, and we had to start all over again, and there was at least 1 mistake per day. strangely, all of these are from the math/physics rocket science type subjects, i guess when the pool of professors who know the material are limited, the university can't really pick and choose the good ones.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #18 (permalink)
Red

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
the bad ones that i have come across don't really have an attitude problem, they're just not skilled in teaching. talking into the board, overly thick and hard to understand accents, erasing what he just wrote down 4 seconds later so that he doesn't have to stop lecturing to erase things, but the worse one kept making mistakes in his formulas every lecture, and i'm talking about math that builds upon the previous math, so he'll be 4 or 5 steps into it 20 minutes later when the 6th step doesn't add up before he realizes he messed up step 1, and we had to start all over again, and there was at least 1 mistake per day. strangely, all of these are from the math/physics rocket science type subjects, i guess when the pool of professors who know the material are limited, the university can't really pick and choose the good ones.

Henious,

You have hit another issue. Mastering a subject does not mean you can pass it along to students. Also - the teaching style of the professor does not fit all people. Lastly, you are seeing the effect of 'brain drain' on America. The heavy accents are because America is turning out less scientists and Mathematicians. It is simply the case that most qualified people are not native English speakers. Taking the time to try and learn the accent helps some..

My advice, for what it is, would be two fold. Demand more of your professor both during the class as well as during your evaluation. Be respectful, raise your hand, and ask that they go over the material again - and tell them what they said was confusing.

Here is something you can do that will nearly guarantee a better education situation. Take responsibility on the front end. Never simply 'find a schedule that fits'. Research the professors and take the time to go meet them. After three minutes you will learn if this is a person you can learn from.

EVERY student that does this with me - simply out performs the majority of their peers.

EDIT:

I grade my online class(es) on Sunday mornings - so I bounce back and forth between grading and the interwebs. I just caught two students plagiarizing while adding to this thread.

Sheesh. Imagine if Professors put up video's for every student they found lacking.

TF

TF's MCB Trust.

Last edited by Talfuchre; 04-14-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Here is something you can do that will nearly guarantee a better education situation. Take responsibility on the front end. Never simply 'find a schedule that fits'. Research the professors and take the time to go meet them. After three minutes you will learn if this is a person you can learn from.

EVERY student that does this with me - simply out performs the majority of their peers.
i did, which is how i found out 1 particular professor was the only one teaching a required class. he is actually a good professor, a strict-but-fair type, but the subject is o-chem which makes the class extremely stressful combined with a strict professor. that stabbing i referenced in your thread? one of his students got so stressed he slit a student's throat during lab. i don't blame the prof, he actually requires you to pick up a few of your lab reading from his office so that he can look at it personally and tell you what needs improving, so you know he really cares. helpful? yes, but also daunting just because it's already o-chem, so in your head it's just added critique, add that to the knowledge that there are no other profs and you really feel like you fell down a well with no way out. he got more lax after mcstabby though, but i still don't blame him.

i jumped into that well. i could have taken a lighter-weight series of chem classes. i had this silly notion that i should challenge myself...
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pump Dinosaur

the heart of the problem boils down to 3 huge issues

1) the difference between a professor and an educator - a person can be one the other or both - finding the best (which are both) is rare

2) as mentioned earlier - differences in teaching AND learning styles - some professors who were AWESOME for me - could not get through some of my friends at all - others that I hated and couldn't learn from - my friends got and understood right away - you NEED a variety of educators to get through to the variety of people.

3) burn out and lack of support - like finding good cops - getting good educators and keeping them is not always easy - nor are they always appreciated for what they are.

Its always easy to complain - its always better to take action.... =P

/wave

my mcb feedback
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat