mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
Just based on my experience, there is a big difference in learning how to make a program spit out an FEA model and actually understanding FEA. Many of the popular programs I have used/seen are buggy at best and you really need to understand the fundamentals before you can interpret the results they are giving you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big jim View Post
Sorry, should have mentioned that just because you can make pretty pictures doesn't mean those pictures are accurate.
These guys are spot on about FEA. Surface/stress/strain analysis can be courses themselves. Solidworks Simulation is a good starting point as it's very basic FEA, but to be honest, understanding that required a lot of work before you move on to COMSOL or something more robust.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
more gooder

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
in order of importance

1. click on a ****ing face before you click on the ****ing hole wizard. I can't stress that enough.

2. tolerance your model not the drawing

3. don't be lazy and round off your numbers. you will pull your hair out when you get to the assembly.

4. blue is very bad. its practically evil.

5. red and yellow can ruin your day.

6. black is good.

7. don't overide properties, put the information in the correct place the first time.

8. design in context is dangerous as hell, be careful.

9. the tab key does all sorts of wonderful things.

10. Don't model threads. If you absolutely need to, for 3d printing or such add a config and supress the stupid things.

the solidworks tutorial is pretty good. a class is better. You get all sorts of little tidbits thak will make your life a ton easier.
dukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

I think I am going to tape that post to the wall at work! So many people overlook those pointers. The problem with a class is that, while you do learn many helpful tips, only about 25% of the class pertains to what you might actually use. The rest will be helpful in a different industry, but by the time you get a job in that industry you will have forgotten those links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
ICD-O Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
in order of importance

1. click on a ****ing face before you click on the ****ing hole wizard. I can't stress that enough.

2. tolerance your model not the drawing

3. don't be lazy and round off your numbers. you will pull your hair out when you get to the assembly.

4. blue is very bad. its practically evil.

5. red and yellow can ruin your day.

6. black is good.

7. don't overide properties, put the information in the correct place the first time.

8. design in context is dangerous as hell, be careful.

9. the tab key does all sorts of wonderful things.

10. Don't model threads. If you absolutely need to, for 3d printing or such add a config and supress the stupid things.

the solidworks tutorial is pretty good. a class is better. You get all sorts of little tidbits thak will make your life a ton easier.
OMG YESSSS!
Thank you, dukie! SW in 10 points.
ICD-O: The MCB of the ICD world, sorta...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painthappy View Post
In short... I don't know what I'm doing. I'll figure it out after another beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hula Popper View Post
It's my first day as a MCB member and that was well worth $10
63VDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
GMO Population control

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jim View Post
The built in tutorial for SolidWorks is a good tool however it seemed to leave out a lot of information to me. That is why I would use Matt Lombard's book ($30) and access to the forum as well to help along the way. Catia is a very good program but it is also much more expensive than SW.
On top of that, there are a ton of good tutorial videos on you tube. Get the soft ware, do the built in tutorials watch you tube videos pertaining to what you are interested in and follow Dukies 10 points, which made me lol...
Emotional pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigs View Post
I have sat here pumping away for the last five minutes to my gfs confused face
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat