mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Survey of vehicular choices (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/232326-survey-vehicular-choices.html)

Bored383 04-28-2013 11:12 AM

Survey of vehicular choices

I am curious to what folks would choose for a vehicle under the following circumstances:

primary commuter / secondary kid hauler for a family with 2 kids, both of which need to be in car seats. There already is a primary kid hauler.

I've got my short list - yes, the hypothetical situation above is my real one - but I was wondering what others would choose, and why

dukie 04-28-2013 11:26 AM

for ease of loading and schlepping kids+ all the other junk around, I would get a minvan.

HyePower 04-28-2013 11:29 AM

BMW 5-Series. Preferably the M5.

Rymzor 04-28-2013 11:48 AM

a cross over, like the new rav4 or something similar.

shadow_772 04-28-2013 12:15 PM

Everyone's needs are different but I would pick up another subaru, or since I will be needing something more in a about a year it is duramax time :D

SPLATTER-ZONED 04-28-2013 01:00 PM

VW Jetta TDI, manual transmission. The automatics are terrible.

SZ.

Rage 01 04-28-2013 01:06 PM

A Dodge...

Marauder_Pilot 04-28-2013 01:14 PM

A small hatchback. Pretty much any will do, although I'm a big fan of the Mazda3 myself. But, yeah, for commuting and two small kids, it's hard to beat a small hatchback.

Plus, most of them (VW Golf, Mazda 3, Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback, Subaru Impreza, ect) are an absolute rip**** riot to drive. Plus, they're generally reliable as hell, get great gas mileage, and are all fairly affordable.

Just don't get a Dodge Caliber. They're spacious, and, as a side effect of the terrible interior, kid and dog-proof, and they're cheap as **** now, but man are they a terrible car to drive.

Also, if you're going to get a crossover, do yourself a favour and get a Mazda CX-5. It drives like a bigger version of the Mazda3, meaning it's waaaaay more fun than anything else in its class, it doesn't look half bad and it's got the best fuel economy in its class.

From a purely dollars-to-use standpoint, it's pretty hard to beat the Kia Soul. It's not unpleasant to drive, and it's not hideously ugly by any means, and you can cram a ton of kids and stuff in it for its size.

Also, for a completely different kind of driving entertainment, while still being very handy, the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is the way to go. Top still comes off, it'll still outrun literally anything else out there off-road, and it seats 5 and has a trunk now.

shoot to thrill 04-28-2013 01:23 PM

Honda Crosstour, or the new CRV. Cross tour with AWD and the V6 is actually pretty fun to drive though. I love mine. Though my gf's CRV is really nice too.

Donut SD 04-28-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyePower (Post 2695560)
BMW 5-Series. Preferably the M5.

Estate version. Win.