mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Thing View Post
I test drove one in Chicago in March and I am currently working hard to get my finances where they need to be for me to buy one.

I agree with all that you said in the review.

Couple of extra things to throw in

the 260-300 mile range is for the highest capacity battery and will decay over the course of time I believe they say that at the end of its usefull life (8years?) they estimate it will be 80% of that or less. For me this is not an issue I have three locations that I travel to each day and the fartherest one is 120 miles round trip so even at 80% that is 200-240 ish.

Also realize the range is also No AC, No Heat, No Radio, NO GPS bare bones and not jack rabbit starts and stopps as well.

As far as service they currently have a plan that you can buy at the time of purchase that includes annual inspection, replace ment of parts like brake pads and wipers (Not includeing tires) you can also get ranger service which means they come to you and it is 2400 for 4years 50K miles or 4800 for 8years 100K miles. For me living outside of the range of a Tesla store that is a key element.

If and when I get it will update my impressions hope by the fall I can order one and have by end of year.
What I was told, the warranty on the battery is for eight years, they figure the battery to last for 12 or so years. Also, they have a four year warranty on the car, with the eight year warranty on the battery. There are now two official Tesla repair stations near me (Within say 60 miles), but he told me that they can do a $100 flat fee for a repair where they come to me. Wherever. He specifically talked about being out in Walla Walla, which is at least an eight hour drive, and it would only cost $100. Much cheaper than getting it towed to their shop for work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper42 View Post
The difference being that you can stop at a gas station almost anywhere and refuel. Can't exactly fill a tesla up at any old gas station.
Actually, by next year, Tesla will have quite a few supercharger stations. That is just Tesla mind you. One can still use other charger stations. But think about this, you are using the car for just daily driving. Around 100 miles round trip a day. The 60 kW battery will handle that, with the radio, GPS, air conditioning, whatever. Every day that you get home, you simply plug in the car. You plug in your phone at night? Same thing here. So every day, you have a full tank, so to speak.

I talked to them about doing road trips, because no matter how much is spent on a car, I drive to Portland fairly regularly. Around every other month. With the 85 kW battery, I can easily start my day full, drive down to Portland, and even drive around a bit while I am down there. Find a Tesla supercharger, have dinner, and have a full tank, so to speak, when I get done.

What about doing a road trip longer than that? Well, other than the Tesla superchargers, and I think that I already mentioned this, there is no charge for using the Tesla supercharger, it can accept 220 and even 110 volt outlets. So when I get a hotel, if it happens to be one where there is an electrical outlet outside and near where I am parked, I can get a charge. It will probably be between a third and a half a tank from a 110, but that will easily get me to a Tesla supercharger.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
I expected that since there isn't a transmission, there isn't the gearing changes that we are used to in gas and diesel motors.
electric motors also can go "full throttle" right away without delay. look up the white zombie electric datsun
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
I went into the test drive with a degree of understanding about driving an electric vehicle, what with the immediate slowing down, not a slow coast.
I think that's only for tesla at this point. The throttle is set so that it regenerates batteries when you let off the throttle. Slight throttle pressure lets you coast. Other EVs start to regenerate when you depress the brake.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
What about doing a road trip longer than that? Well, other than the Tesla superchargers, and I think that I already mentioned this, there is no charge for using the Tesla supercharger, it can accept 220 and even 110 volt outlets. So when I get a hotel, if it happens to be one where there is an electrical outlet outside and near where I am parked, I can get a charge. It will probably be between a third and a half a tank from a 110, but that will easily get me to a Tesla supercharger.
i wonder if they thought about a detachable battery that lets you carry it up to your hotel room for charging.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
bad part about these cars is they are completly usless in WV or out here in el paso. no chargeing stations and citys being 100 miles apart atleast would be bad.

I could see moutains being a major battery strain on these cars. i wouldnt be able to make the 3 hour trip from dc to my home town. a 300 mile trip up and down +or- 3000ft hills. meh

i predict atleast ten more years till all electric cars become truly usable other then in thick urban areas

For Sale

Hawkeye20: "......Hit!..............medic..... oh God...."
pghp8ntballer: "Cause you know, first strike and flatline systems together with a scope allow you to shoot into the future."
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
i wonder if they thought about a detachable battery that lets you carry it up to your hotel room for charging.
That sounds ridiculously heavy, isn't the battery pack 300lbs?

They announced automated battery swap stations so you may not need to worry about find a place to charge.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
The battery is the entire floor of the car, from right behind the front times to right in front of the back tires. Not exactly practical for trying to remove the battery in this case. The motor is also what would normally be the rear axle on a rear wheel drive car.

From front to back. Motor on the right side of the picture, between the back tires.

From back to front. Motor on the left side, between the back two tires.

Because the battery is the floor of the vehicle, and you can see, it looks to be around six to seven inches thick, with the size of the motor itself being as small as it is, that they have so much interior room. Not only can you fit five adults comfortably (Okay, realistically, four adults comfortably, five is a bit of a squeeze in the back no matter what), but two children can sit in rear facing seats in the trunk. And there is as much room in the normal engine bay area as many small imports and domestics have in the trunk.

This has a teenager and a child in back, but it would probably be a bit cramped for the teen once the rear hatch is closed.

Cabin

Might be hard to see in all black with the hood up

Red and black, with a baby for reference.

I can't find it at the moment, but when they debuted the car, it was driven up on a platform, and an adult male gets out from the drivers side. An adult female from the passenger side. Seems normal enough. Then you have two kids and another adult getting out of the back doors. Still fairly normal. The adult female goes to the back hatch, and gets the two kids out. Lots of room. Then you notice that every one of them has a backpack or brief case. The adult male starts talking, and then you seen a teenage male (Like 18-20 years of age) pop the hood, and climb out with a backpack. So talk about carrying the dead bodies easily enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFishy View Post
bad part about these cars is they are completly usless in WV or out here in el paso. no chargeing stations and citys being 100 miles apart atleast would be bad.

I could see moutains being a major battery strain on these cars. i wouldnt be able to make the 3 hour trip from dc to my home town. a 300 mile trip up and down +or- 3000ft hills. meh

i predict atleast ten more years till all electric cars become truly usable other then in thick urban areas
Actually, MotorTrend did a first drive with the car, and took it from LA to Las Vegas. Stop and go traffic, and then the hills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9Rku_ZNeM

They got a little bit skimpy on air conditioning and such towards the end, but they made it on one charge. That is 265 miles, more or less depending upon where their offices are. And there is some hills there, getting out of LA, going through the Sierra Madres, and the Mojave National Preserve added in for good measure.

From what I was told, Consumer Reports gave this a 99 out of 100, and stated that this is the best car that they have ever driven. In the history of the magazine...
Tesla Model S Review | Tesla Model S Test Drive - Consumer Reports
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
The battery is the entire floor of the car, from right behind the front times to right in front of the back tires. Not exactly practical for trying to remove the battery in this case. The motor is also what would normally be the rear axle on a rear wheel drive car.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AnwyDQUET2...is_Battery.jpg
From front to back. Motor on the right side of the picture, between the back tires.
http://gtcarlot.com/news_pictures/ph...9858722&w=1024
i am enjoying these pictures more than the ones in your original post. there must be something wrong with me.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
------------

CCM Fan
I saw 2 of these about 50 miles apart from one another in western NH last weekend. I was amazed to see the first one, beutiful car BTW. Then upon seeing the second one (different color), I thought to myself, Isn't everyone supposed to be broke out here? What the hell?

Very cool looking cars and the performance is definitley there. I just would look elsewhere for the kind of money we're talking.
boltaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Well, should only be about 20 years before they get a charging station in my neck of the woods. That should give them enough time to get a battery that will start in -60F temps.

There is no way I would put anyone in the rear of the hatch like that. Any accident they are in, they are dead or are going to have severe head trauma injuries.

Last edited by elraido; 05-20-2013 at 05:28 PM.
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat