mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
GMO Population control

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
electric motors also can go "full throttle" right away without delay. look up the white zombie electric datsun
LOL. I remember reading stories about that thing, how the direct short solenoid stuck on at the drag strip in that thing and it was burning rubber and pulling wheelies at the same time! entertaining stuff. I had quite an interest in the NEDRA before it was "cool" to go electric. One of my best friends drives one of those Teslas daily, and that are not all they are chalked up to be. What you have to figure, is the miles per hour. Meaning, how many miles can you drive per hour of charging. He can't even make his commute off a standard 15A 110V socket charging the car over night. Luckily, he has 440V available at work, so he is able to charge enough during the day to get home. We aren't there yet, but getting closer all the time.
Emotional pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
i think the phantom needle is in my arm for good now..
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by elraido View Post
Well, should only be about 20 years before they get a charging station in my neck of the woods. That should give them enough time to get a battery that will start in -60F temps.

There is no way I would put anyone in the rear of the hatch like that. Any accident they are in, they are dead or are going to have severe head trauma injuries.
The battery isn't in the back, it is the floor of the car. It ends before the rear tires. So you have a bit of open space (The trunk) before the solid motor and rear axle and then the battery. But I get where you are coming from. The NHTSA gets their cars in the spring/summer of this year, so we will have to see how they do with impacts and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatFink View Post
LOL. I remember reading stories about that thing, how the direct short solenoid stuck on at the drag strip in that thing and it was burning rubber and pulling wheelies at the same time! entertaining stuff. I had quite an interest in the NEDRA before it was "cool" to go electric. One of my best friends drives one of those Teslas daily, and that are not all they are chalked up to be. What you have to figure, is the miles per hour. Meaning, how many miles can you drive per hour of charging. He can't even make his commute off a standard 15A 110V socket charging the car over night. Luckily, he has 440V available at work, so he is able to charge enough during the day to get home. We aren't there yet, but getting closer all the time.
Yes, getting closer all of the time. I have no idea how far your friend commutes, but with the 60 kW battery, they can go around 208 miles before the charge.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
The battery isn't in the back, it is the floor of the car. It ends before the rear tires. So you have a bit of open space (The trunk) before the solid motor and rear axle and then the battery. But I get where you are coming from. The NHTSA gets their cars in the spring/summer of this year, so we will have to see how they do with impacts and such.
I am just worried that there is no crumple zone in the back where the kids are sitting. There is bumper, then their feet, and maybe a couple of inches of space between their faces and the hatch glass. While I can see why they are trying to maximize seating space, I just think it is a VERY poor idea to have seats that close to a potential area that routinely gets hits (rear end accidents).

The other concern I have about electric cars is the strain they will put on the electrical grid. Places like California already have rolling black/brown outs in the summer because of air conditioning. Can you imagine the strain of everyone plugging in their cars at night? There needs to be massive reform in the grid in places like that before the can be main stream.
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

No Mercy, get one and bring it to supergame next year; let us all take it for a test drive.

I see these as a great idea if every destination (malls, banks, grocery stores, movie theaters, etc) has a charging station, and you never go on road trips. It would be better if the car plugs itself in some how.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
The other concern I have about electric cars is the strain they will put on the electrical grid. Places like California already have rolling black/brown outs in the summer because of air conditioning. Can you imagine the strain of everyone plugging in their cars at night? There needs to be massive reform in the grid in places like that before the can be main stream.
Well there would be no problems if people are plugging in at night. That's when electricity usage is lowest.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

One of my friends has one (got it in January) and LOVES it... He owns a bunch of cars, and always says the Tesla model S is by far his favorite.
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Is there any info on the lower battery limit? What if you drive like hell out of the stop lights and corners at night with the lights, wipers and AC/heat going? I think the hybrids get about half their top mileage when you beat them up (?).
Old 05-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
Well there would be no problems if people are plugging in at night. That's when electricity usage is lowest.
Is that true in the suburban areas of California though? You would think people come home and flip on the AC (or use "smart thermostats to turn it on just before) that it would no longer be the time of lowest use.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider! View Post
Is there any info on the lower battery limit? What if you drive like hell out of the stop lights and corners at night with the lights, wipers and AC/heat going? I think the hybrids get about half their top mileage when you beat them up (?).
Actually, they work really well. A reporter figured it would have issues like you said, and did a bunch of stuff to try and run one out of energy so he could bash it...

Tesla had a gps computer with all the readings, and busted him after he trashed them in the New York Times.

The whole story is a pretty pathetic piece of "journalism".

You can read it for yourself here.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/au...&_r=0&_r=0

Consumer reports had nothing but good things to say about the Tesla, you can google their article.

Here is an article with links to most of the press on the S.
Tesla's Elon Musk enjoys sweet revenge | Technology | guardian.co.uk

From what I have seen it is a pretty amazing car. I think electric cars are interesting and in full disclosure, I have GEM car 4 seater in my garage at home right now... (with a circuit board issue...)
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
I am just worried that there is no crumple zone in the back where the kids are sitting. There is bumper, then their feet, and maybe a couple of inches of space between their faces and the hatch glass. While I can see why they are trying to maximize seating space, I just think it is a VERY poor idea to have seats that close to a potential area that routinely gets hits (rear end accidents).

So don't put your kids in the back. Here is a link that shows it sans body: Tesla Model S Disassembled
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat