mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump_Action_Prophet View Post
I bought a 20ft Jay Flight travel trailer that weighs about 4200lbs fully loaded and I own a 2010 GMC Sierra with a 295hp 4.8L with a K&N intake on it... Weakest 295hp I've ever driven.

I used to tow slightly heavier loads with my 2000 Ford 4.6L which might have been rated somewhere between 220 and 240hp and not struggle as much on the mighty hills of British Columbia to justify bitching about it on the interwebs.
A semi truck may only have 350hp, yet can still tow 80,000lbs. Towing ability is more related to an engines torque than it's horsepower.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
I had sort of the same issue. I looked for a towing only vehicle to use just to pull the camper. Bought a 95 1 ton extended cab Ford with a 7.5 (460). No more wear and tear on my daily driver and cheaper than anything your going to do to make a noticeable difference in your existing truck.

The old ford eats gas but wow does it pull. Just went 300 miles round trip this weekend at 8.5 mpg!
brew52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
MCB Member

The 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE goes bumper to bumper with the 2010 Ford F150, 2010 Dodge Ram and 2010 Toyota Tundra.

Apparently my truck has 302hp and 305ft/lbs of torque...

I kinda doubt it's actually making those numbers.
Pump_Action_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Resurgence

Quote:
The 2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE goes bumper to bumper with the 2010 Ford F150, 2010 Dodge Ram and 2010 Toyota Tundra.

Apparently my truck has 302hp and 305ft/lbs of torque...

I kinda doubt it's actually making those numbers.
Like others have said, look into new gearing. To be able to pull up steep hills fully loaded, thats going to the the biggest bang for your buck. It looks like your truck has a 3.73 ratio. I would see about having your rear axle regeared to a 4.10, maybe even a 5.13.
docholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rec Poster

The truck I'd like to own to be able to haul the family and a decent trailer to a campsite is ridiculous!

diesel, 3/4ton, crew cab, 4x4 = 50+K! and closer to 70K once you put in some options.....
Old 05-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Intesting test comparing Fords 3.5 ecoboost V6 against Chevy and Dodges V8 engines, while towing 9,000lbs.

Ford F-150 EcoBoost V-6 Beats V-8 Competition in Dam Challenge - PickupTrucks.com News

The Dodge was only 3 seconds slower then the ford, while the Chevy was a whole 42 seconds slower than the Ford.

This was with the 5.7 Hemi and 5.3 Vortec.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday View Post
Like others have said, look into new gearing. To be able to pull up steep hills fully loaded, thats going to the the biggest bang for your buck. It looks like your truck has a 3.73 ratio. I would see about having your rear axle regeared to a 4.10, maybe even a 5.13.
There is normally a tag that is attach to one of the differential cover bolts that will have the gear ratio and type of fluid is in the differential. Just have to get on the ground and look at it
Dysturbed87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
MCB Member

**update

I solved my problem by trading in my gutless GMC for a new Dodge Ram 1500 with a hemi.

It gets waaaay better fuel economy loaded and unloaded.
It's not gonna be as good off road and I'm not even gonna try but maybe next year I can afford an older truck to beat around with. w/e.
Pump_Action_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
Facta Non Verba

Send a message via MSN to Deuce

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Look at your fuel too. Ethanol will drop power and mileage. If you can find gas without ethanol, use that.

ETA:
Quote:
**update

I solved my problem by trading in my gutless GMC for a new Dodge Ram 1500 with a hemi.

It gets waaaay better fuel economy loaded and unloaded.
It's not gonna be as good off road and I'm not even gonna try but maybe next year I can afford an older truck to beat around with. w/e.

Co-Captain/ Co-Founder
Team-Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper duke View Post
I'd wipe, play-on and overshoot.
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Your truck is geared more for fuel economy than it is for towing. The 4.8 is one of the smaller engines as well, the peak torque is a good deal less than say, the 6.0L that is on some 1/2 ton trucks and all the non diesel HD trucks. If your truck is a 2wd, your best bet would be to gear the rear end down. I would guess it has somewhere a 3.03-3.53:1 ration, you wouldn't gain actual HP with better gears but it will tow better with something like a 3.73 or 4.10:1 gear set. Something to look into also, I know the older overdrive automatics were not supposed to tow ANYTHING in overdrive, only in drive. I am not sure if its the same with the new generation of OD automatics but it may be. You can do serious damage to a transmission towing in OD that's not supposed to.

A chip and exhaust will help you out some but I think gearing will help more but you will loose some MPG. If you did all 3 you would have a substantial gain in towing performance. Gearing a 4x4 will cost you a lot more, twice as many ring and pinions to buy and install, plus the IFS 4x4 systems are a PITA to work on. I just bought a stick shift 85 Chevy 3/4 ton to do my towing duties, old trucks FTW.

I don't see the Hemi as an upgrade over the LS GM V8's unless the size is much larger. The 6.0L V8 Chevy engine is much better IMO, and I have seen them with 300,000+ miles still running great. I haven't heard of any new "Hemi's" doing that. If you wanted a real towing machine, you should have went with a Dodge with the Cummins Diesel, that's the best truck on the road IMO and I am a Chevy guy.

Last edited by crazyorigin; 06-24-2013 at 10:41 PM.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat