mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
They are probably honest numbers and not lies. It is much easier to swap out a set of tires than it is to swap out an entire drive train. I see trucks rated to haul 5-6000 lbs that when loaded with that much weight, they are a death trap.
Would also require a beefier suspension and larger brakes to stop the heavier loads, basically a new truck. It simply cannot safely carry the loads that a 3/4+ ton can.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #42 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
They are probably honest numbers and not lies. It is much easier to swap out a set of tires than it is to swap out an entire drive train. I see trucks rated to haul 5-6000 lbs that when loaded with that much weight, they are a death trap.
So you are saying the only thing you have to do to make a 1/2 ton Toyota into a 1 ton Toyota is to change the tires?
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #43 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ta2maki View Post
So you are saying the only thing you have to do to make a 1/2 ton Toyota into a 1 ton Toyota is to change the tires?
No. Perhaps I should have said the Toyota has comparable components of some of its competitors 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. The Tundras brakes are plenty strong. Swapping the tires definetly won't make it a 1 ton but it would make it a better truck. I am simply trying to say the Tundra is better than any "domestic" half ton truck on the market in my opinion.

Swapping in better shocks and springs is really not very hard on anything I have ever worked on. I would rather swap some tires and springs and shocks than an entire set of axles and suspension and then figure out what problems that has caused then address it.

A question of towing prowess was asked, I simply shared that diesels do it best. Half ton trucks seemed to be the only option, so I shared my opinion that the Tundra is pretty much as good an option as we have in that class.

I am not the type to drive something for a short time then trade it for something new. I like to drive vehicles for a long time, generally they are already high mileage vehicles so I take things into consideration most don't, like if things are overbuilt for longevity, or just enough to get you off your factory warranty. I appreciate when something is ovebuilt for no real reason other than it makes it better for the long haul. Just enough, to me, is what most people call junk. If I were to pay $20-30,000+ I would expect to get a good 10-15 years of hard use out of it. Call me cheap, but thats a lot of money for something that will be just enough.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
The Tundras brakes are plenty strong.
Sorry, but the stock Tundra brakes aren't going to reliably stop a 22,000lb trailer.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
.67cal Buwwets!

CCM Fan
Is anyone in this thread towing a 22000 lb trailer????? You obviously take everything very literally, I was winoly trying to say that the Tundra would be a great choice but just in other words. The OP is not towing a massive dumptruck on a lowboy is he? Is there even a 1 ton rated to tow a 22000lb trailer? Let's at least be realistic with our arguments.
crazyorigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #46 (permalink)

That's fine, won't argue this anymore. The Tundra definitely has better longevity than the rest of the 1/2 tons, won't deny that.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat