mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Blizzard Paintball

Why do people...

List stuff for sale and say they are willing to "negotiate" and when you offer $10 BUCKS less than what they are selling it for (in this case $180 price tag), they say "sorry, cant go that low..."? Really? Do you know WTF negotiate means? What were you expecting an offer of $179.50??? sorry, had to vent! Hi, Im new to the forums..LOL
THROWIN ROPES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Go 'Hawks!

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
You should get a green membership so the person you're angry at doesn't see your rant.

Jussayin.

And welcome to MCB.

Victis Honor

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Nemo Malus Felix
Hawkeye20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye20 View Post
You should get a green membership so the person you're angry at doesn't see your rant.

Jussayin.

And welcome to MCB.
Wont help if he's mad at a Greene.

Negotiate could have meant trade fodder.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

Being "open" to negotiation and being "willing" to actually negotiate are two different things. Just because I will listen to your attempts to negotiate [the open part] does not necessarily imply I'm going to participate [the willing part]. I own what I'm selling and I, solely, will decide what is a reasonable price [IMO] for the sale no matter what you or anyone else thinks is a "fair and reasonable offer".

Plus there is the fact some people just suck at negotiating [myself included >.< ]. I tend to price things for what I feel it is worth to me to let it go. Honestly it does not give a lot of room for dickering. The side benefit to this for most people here is I usually list a very reasonable if not cheap price on my stuff as I do not put a lot of sentimental attachment to STUFF.

If you can not get the deal you are trying for, either buy it at the listed price or move on. This is money and stuff nothing personal to get stressed about.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles

My Pyre #PY008 RF Oak Grendel's Feedback on MCB

Last edited by Grendel; 06-18-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

Negotiation goes beyond the actual offer. The way you approach someone, how you speak to them and how you present yourself can squelch even a really great offer... I've seen "sure thing" offers die on the table because the buyer offended the seller, or just rubbed him the wrong way.

I know I've turned down offers from people that I would have leapt on otherwise, either because I predicted issues with the transaction, or got the feeling (based on the limited communication) that the person would not be reliable.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Blizzard Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Being "open" to negotiation and being "willing" to actually negotiate are two different things. Just because I will listen to your attempts to negotiate [the open part] does not necessarily imply I'm going to participate [the willing part]. I own what I'm selling and I, solely, will decide what is a reasonable price [IMO] for the sale no matter what you or anyone else thinks is a "fair and reasonable offer".

Plus there is the fact some people just suck at negotiating [myself included >.< ]. I tend to price things for what I feel it is worth to me to let it go. Honestly it does not give a lot of room for dickering. The side benefit to this for most people here is I usually list a very reasonable if not cheap price on my stuff as I do not put a lot of sentimental attachment to STUFF.

If you can not get the deal you are trying for, either buy it at the listed price or move on. This is money and stuff nothing personal to get stressed about.
I agree, but if your "wiggle room" is $5 don't bother posting that "all reasonable offers accepted" because reasonable offers to me are different than what they may interpret Lol I'm cooled down now but I think the thing that made me flip my script was the dude never responded to messages saying that my offer sucked but was still answering questions on his threads. I guess I try to hold a little more professionalism when I'm selling items. Then again, after I cooled down I realized I may have been dealing with a little kid. Anyway, sorry for the rant, it was a heat of the moment thing.
THROWIN ROPES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Your status on this forum will also affect how people will negotiate. People that I have met, talked to before, or just bumped into on this forum over the years get better treatment (price-wise) than brand new members.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Any number of things can affect whether I negotiate or not with a buyer. Honestly, one of the things that irritates me the most is guys coming in "dooding" and "brothaing" me in an attempt to pretend we are lifelong friends to get my pricing down. I also price my parts pretty much at what I want for them and in most cases I'm willing to hold onto them if necessary to get what I want. I also don't put anything in my BST threads about being willing to negotiate, so that helps.
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
Your status on this forum will also affect how people will negotiate. People that I have met, talked to before, or just bumped into on this forum over the years get better treatment (price-wise) than brand new members.
Truth.

In my last for sale thread I specifically noted "I will not be spending time taking a million pictures, verifying if these things work, or any other issues. I am not even certain all the parts are there". It was a mid-sized lot of abandoned projects I had on my wall.

The first PM I get is from a new member who wants a single item out of the lot but wants pictures, condition reports, etc.

The second PM I get is from a long standing member who has a lot of feedback offering me a price on the lot as presented.

Even though I would have gotten more $$ if I had worked with the first person and seperated out pieces from the lot I took the second one because it was easier to deal with, I felt the member would be happier with what he was getting (non-working markers), and would cause me less hassle.

If I have interacted with you on the forums, sold you things in the past, watched you be a positive assett to the forum as a whole you are going to get better prices from me and I am going to be more willing to engage in negotiation.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
HUG?!

Brass N Wood Fan
Meh I've been on the seller side and was extremely lowballed. After I said no the person went nuts and (shortened version) called me stupid. But offering 200 less on a already low 300 price tag is a bit extreme.
Acidpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat