mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #11 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
My vote is on the S4 or S3 if you want nearly the same thing for way cheaper.

Bad eyes? get a note 2.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

I traded my iPhone 4 in on an S4 a few weeks ago. I love the S4. It took me a few days to configure the S4 to duplicate some of the things I liked about the iPhone. Now that I have those things tied down I'm looking into learning about the things the S4 (Android) can do that iOS 6 won't permit.

I like the larger screen, but 5" isn't too big to toss in my front pocket. I would worry that the Note would be a bit unwieldy.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Hates the Media

Fan of EMR
Love my S4, would recommend it to anyone else in the market for a phone. Bigger screen size is so awesome.
Tuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloop View Post
The iphone 4 already has a retina display.

Ontopic, I'd say get the Samsung galaxy s3. There isn't a gigantic difference between the s3 and s4 and the s3 alone is better than the iphone 5 in many ways [The upcoming ios 7 basically just gives in the iphones what the s3's already had]. You said your eyes are aging as well? Get the Samsung galaxy note 2, it has a nice big screen. The s3 and s4 still have pretty large screens. I'd stay away from the iphone though if your eyes aren't that great.
The iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4s don't have Retina displays. They have good displays, but they aren't retina displays. After buying an iPad w/ retina I will say with confidence that the retina display is superior to the S3 display as far as text and vibrancy goes.

IOS7 looks really nice though, can't wait to try it out when it's released.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Between the two, I would take the iPhone, it's a nicer phone and the screen is better quality. The whole phone is better quality for that matter, and the interface is smoother and better looking than Samsung's Touchwiz system. HTC One has the best of both worlds, if you're willing to look outside those two options (assuming it's available to you)
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

wait for the newer version of the iphone to come out its been out half a year... there's bound to be an iphone5s or something like that.... I have the iphone5 wouldnt trade it in for anything its a lot faster than the old one and you don't realize how much faster LTE is than 3g until you cannot use LTE. i feel like the droid is just cheaper and made from plastic... one thing about the 5 that i like is they took off the glass on the back of the phone and used the metal they use on the macbooks so if you drop it you dont really have to worry about the back cracking anymore... dropped mine a couple times and its been good so far. 6 months with out a case and going strong (I'll probably drop it tonight and crack it because i said that) but it's a great phone the battery lasts pretty long too i've had mine off the charger since 8 this morning and only at 50% so far

and i dont know about you but my car has an iphone hook up... not a droid hook up or anything like that so that's another reason why i like it. can play pandora through the radio, answer calls on it too, it integrates the gps too so that's another big reason why i like the iphone more

Last edited by save_me_Jebus; 06-28-2013 at 06:16 PM.
save_me_Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
X0317

Send a message via AIM to dm6rocker

CCM Fan
My vote goes for the Iphone. 75% of the people I work with hate on apple to no end, but they can never seem to give me a good reason why. I did android phones for a long time, and I could NEVER pick one that felt just right. Went over to an iphone 4S, and I'll stick with apple from now on. I even tried going back to android after I was good for an upgrade. Picked up a Photon Q when they came out because I tend to prefer a physical keyboard on my phones. I went back to sprint and replaced it with an Iphone 5 two days later.

Everything is simple, I don't have to forceclose all my apps on a daily basis, my battery life is fantastic, everything syncs up with my macbook perfectly, etc.

I look at it like this. You want something that's completely idiot-proof, built well, simple and clean, etc...get the iPhone. If you want something that appeals to the techie in you, that you can load up with your own roms and all that, go android. Personally I like things as simple as possible. I want my crap to work all the time, with very little maintenance. Apple does that for me, so that's where I went.

things for sale!
dm6rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm6rocker View Post
I look at it like this. You want something that's completely idiot-proof, built well, simple and clean, etc...get the iPhone. If you want something that appeals to the techie in you, that you can load up with your own roms and all that, go android. Personally I like things as simple as possible. I want my crap to work all the time, with very little maintenance. Apple does that for me, so that's where I went.
I disagree with that sentiment, as I know loads of idiots who love the functionality of their android phones, even older models like the HTC Desire. There are however, lots of ****ty older Android phones, just like there are quite a few ****ty older iPhones. Far as simple and clean goes, any decent phone should be, or it's junk. Another thing that is junk is having to pay for basic and reliable apps, which doesn't seem to be a problem on Androids. Of course, with the latest flagship phones you honestly don't need any apps at all, so much is built in and it's built in nicely (some better than others). On that note, I have never been more impressed by *any* phones "vanilla" experience and configuration than the HTC One... which is why I keep recommending it to people. It is very very idiot-friendly and there are no stand-out deficiencies whatsoever. It's also very "non-idiot" friendly and has become very widely accepted across the board

edit: far as battery life is concerned: depends on how you use it. Everyone will complain about one phone or another for batt life, DEX curses her iPhone 5s battery life all the time and needs to get a charger pack for it because it can't make it through more than half a day... she uses it a lot though.

Last edited by ApoC_101; 06-28-2013 at 07:43 PM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Panda with a Gun

CCM Fan
I have an i5 and while its great in terms of reliability and durability but I rather get the s4 active

Water and dust proof is cool and no extra cost

But a removable battery and memory chips as well as a cord that is basically hiding in everyone's desk draw is something to think about

The lighting connector is expensive and not as common so when u need to charge ur kinda boned

I will give the iphone stupid proof OS and I have dropped mine on concrete before ( I'm 5 6) and it is fine. Now cracks on screen and only kniks on edges. The metal plate is awesome

The iphone is fast very fast which is cool.

As an owner I would still say s4 or s4 active ( slightly different but same os and capabilities)
Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Barned

One of the things I disliked with the Iphone 5 is the new anodizing/colouring they put on the back and edges. The Ipod 5 is the exact same with the colouring and the glossy border. The glossy border chips off quite easily, [I have an ipod 5th gen and can account to this]. Without a case, the anodizing on the back of the iphone/ipod 5 rubs off quite easily to show an ugly whitish colour on the back, so a case is a must. I think the galaxy s3/4 is much better in many ways but it still just comes down to choice.

In general, if you want something more user friendly, get the iphone.
If you want something with a lot of potential but takes longer to learn, get the galaxy.
I see an agglet and I want to paint it black...
...or yellow, orange, green; whatever the field paint is that day.
Bloop is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat