mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #21 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I have a I4 right now. I've seen and held the I5 but it can't compete with the S4 which is what I'll be getting soon as soon as I see what apple is bringing out in August. The S4 is vastly superior in all major aspects.

Bigger screen
Faster processor
13meg camera vs 8meg camera
Etc etc.

If u read the tech reviews and talk to the carriers the talk is between the the HTC One and the S4. Critics are speculating that in order for Apple to compete they wouldn't e surprised that the jump straight to the I6 to regain its competitive advantage though its unlikely. An I5S will not be a game changer. Apple stock price has declined YTD something like 20 to 25%.

Their competitors have caught up and I some cases surpassing them.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
boo
Banned

I've got the note 2, if it wasn't for the stylus and the huge screen this phone would be a piece of ****. The build quality sucks, its very plasticy and after less then a year its showing its wear. I had a small drop and the menu buttons stopped working. Samsung's warranty is ****. If you have a problem they expect you to send your phone back and wait a week while they fix it. A defective iphone can be swapped out at an Apple Store.

Android is terrible, I've had it for my past 3 phones. I've rooted other phones and ran the aosp (android stripped of bloatware and manufacturer overlays) and it still sucks. This note 2 is running factory firmware and with has 2gb of ram, which is double to 4x what most smartphones have, I still find myself holding down the center button and manually closing applications down. I don't even have a lot of aps installed.

The best phones I've seen out as an alternative to the iphones are the new Nokia Windows Phone 8. The ui is clean, it has great navigation and public transit software, and is really fast.

Nokia's build quality is amazing, there are videos on YouTube of people abusing them and they keep going. The gf already dropped hers in the toilet and it still works great.

The Nokia's camera is the best I've seen in a smartphone.

Windows Phone 8 doesn't have a ton of aps yet but give it time. At this point I cant think of a single ap I'd miss that android has and windows phone 8 doesn't.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3adpool View Post

If u read the tech reviews and talk to the carriers the talk is between the the HTC One and the S4.
sorry had to point this out... if you talk to the carriers they'll always mention to take the droids over the apple products because they make more on the droids than apple products. think about it apple sets the prices on their phones so whether you go to apple or your carrier's store it's the same price but carriers can charge whatever they want for the droids that's why they always push them on you.
save_me_Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I would say android is far superior to iOS. For an iPhone to be able to do most of the things an android can do its needs ajail breaking and even then, no SD card, no removable battery and lack of variety.
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid ever, because this is just a ride." And we ... kill those people." - William Melvin Hicks

newfangled feedback transporter link

Swoop body b2k4 Bushmaster for sale
Kmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #25 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
I'm not sure where you shop homie but if u go on AT&T website the S4, HTC1 and I5 all cost the same with a 2 year plan. The I5 cost only recently dropped with the arrival of the newer competitors phones. The I5S or I6 may cost more when it releases?

I know definitely their tablets are more expensive than its competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by save_me_Jebus View Post
sorry had to point this out... if you talk to the carriers they'll always mention to take the droids over the apple products because they make more on the droids than apple products. think about it apple sets the prices on their phones so whether you go to apple or your carrier's store it's the same price but carriers can charge whatever they want for the droids that's why they always push them on you.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmak View Post
I would say android is far superior to iOS. For an iPhone to be able to do most of the things an android can do its needs ajail breaking and even then, no SD card, no removable battery and lack of variety.
Like what?

I cant think of a single thing an unrooted android phone can do that an unjailbroken iphone cant. Same for jailbroken and unrooted.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

They do all the same ****. Although I prefer google maps on the android, and integration/sync of all your contacts and and accounts with google, whereas on the iPhone you better back that **** up. Don't have to worry about it on android... only need to back up your camera photos and stuff like that (if you need em), and notes if you use an app for that.

None of samsungs latest gimmicks are worth mentioning so it really comes down to this:

-do you want a premium metal and glass phone with iTunes and a non-standard charger cable? buy the iPhone 5
-do you want a premium metal and glass phone with your choice of sides and standardized interfaces? buy the HTC One
-do you want a sub-premium plastic phone with an equally sub-premium UI? buy the Samsung S4 (but wait, it has removable battery, and an SD card! just like a bunch of other sub-premium phones)

(PS, neither the HTC One or the iPhone 5 need SD cards, because they both are available in 32gb and 64gb variants. more than 32gb storage in a phone is serious overkill.)

Last edited by ApoC_101; 06-30-2013 at 03:33 PM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Unless ur storing a ton of music, photos, videos and apps mostly games. Gaming apps will chew your storage very quickly. Then you would need to buy cloud storage.

But with the 64 u shouldn't have a problem with storage at all.

The HTC1 and the S4 have FAR better quality cameras and bigger screens than the I5. I think that is important selling point to add because we all take pictures / vids and surf the web on our phones and shouldn't be marginalized.

Last edited by D3adpool; 06-30-2013 at 05:14 PM.
D3adpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #29 (permalink)
Doesn't work for Avratech

Apps cannot be installed on the expandable storage, only on the built in memory. which means micro SD is only good for music, photos and video... and HD video being played off micro SD may not work depending how fast the card is.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
Like what?

I cant think of a single thing an unrooted android phone can do that an unjailbroken iphone cant. Same for jailbroken and unrooted.
Bittorent and third party downloads.
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid ever, because this is just a ride." And we ... kill those people." - William Melvin Hicks

newfangled feedback transporter link

Swoop body b2k4 Bushmaster for sale

Last edited by Kmak; 06-30-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Kmak is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat