mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:34 AM   #31 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmak View Post
Bittorent and third party downloads.
By third party downloads you mean useless aps for, say converting metric to standard, that then run in the background and when you force close they automatically restart and suck the life out of your battery? Android's ap's suck, as does there ap store. It's just a cluster**** where you can never find stuff your looking for, even mainstream commercial aps. People intentionally title their **** aps to get more hits and the occasional mistaken purchase. I've yet to find the killer exclusive ap thats available exclusively on Android. Unfortanately i'm stuck with Sprint as they're the last carrier with a truly unlimited plan that includes calls to Canada, data, and everything else. I really hope they get the Nokia Windows phone 8 soon.

As for torrents, if your gonna download them you'd probably root or jailbreak anyways so it's not what i'd call the killer ap.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmak View Post
Bittorent and third party downloads.
While most of what Boo said is true, it can also be pretty decent sometimes. I use to use it "on my android tablet" to download shows I wanted to watch for later. I could always watch shows at home streaming them, but if I was going on a trip somewhere, or knew I wouldn't have internet for a week or two (when I moved 2 years ago...) I downloaded Yu Yu Hakusho so I wouldn't be bored out of my mind with no tv/internet for over a week.

Though of course that was one practical use, and much more useful on a tablet than it would've been on a phone.

I have a PC/Windows for a desktop/laptop. I have an android tablet. And an iphone 5.

I think the iPhone 5 is the best choice. Why? Because I use it for internet, texting, calling, and music. Once in a while I'll play a game on it. But I don't need to root it to do all the extras. And I've used my android tablet long enough before that to know that using any app killer is just stupid on those things, and the iOS beats it 10fold there. Something very small, but it really does piss me off.

I will say it would be better if I could have flash. But I really don't need it that often. I can usually find a video on flash on a different and sometimes the same website that'll be able to be watched on an iphone anyways.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #33 (permalink)
boo
Banned

So far they have torrent programs out for Windows phone 8 where you don't need to be "rooted" or whatever they would call it for WP8. Also you can run torrents on a jailbroken iphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3mium View Post

I will say it would be better if I could have flash. But I really don't need it that often. I can usually find a video on flash on a different and sometimes the same website that'll be able to be watched on an iphone anyways.
Also flash is no longer supported as of JellyBean. I had to do some hokey workaround to get it to work on my phone and it only works in the Android Firefox or other 3rd party browsers.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
By third party downloads you mean useless aps for, say converting metric to standard, that then run in the background and when you force close they automatically restart and suck the life out of your battery? Android's ap's suck, as does there ap store. It's just a cluster**** where you can never find stuff your looking for, even mainstream commercial aps. People intentionally title their **** aps to get more hits and the occasional mistaken purchase. I've yet to find the killer exclusive ap thats available exclusively on Android. Unfortanately i'm stuck with Sprint as they're the last carrier with a truly unlimited plan that includes calls to Canada, data, and everything else. I really hope they get the Nokia Windows phone 8 soon.

As for torrents, if your gonna download them you'd probably root or jailbreak anyways so it's not what i'd call the killer ap.
By third party apps I mean apps not in the store, such as downloading an archived version of flash player. You do not need to be rooted to torrent. I didn't root my Asus transformer infinity and I can torrent several discographies at the same time on that thing.

@premium try advanced task killer, shows all your ram and how much each task is using.
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly colored and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question: Is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey, don't worry, don't be afraid ever, because this is just a ride." And we ... kill those people." - William Melvin Hicks

newfangled feedback transporter link

Swoop body b2k4 Bushmaster for sale
Kmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #35 (permalink)
I'll shoot myself anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo View Post
I really hope they get the Nokia Windows phone 8 soon.
And here you go!

They are coming!

As a tech for one of the big 4 cell phone companies (all I do is phone repairs), I can tell you that despite how people think phones "feel" (i.e. Build Quality), the Galaxy S3, S4, and Note 2 have consistently had fewer repairs than any other phone we sell. The HTC One is new, so we don't really have a lot of details on that, though we have seen no returns/repairs on it as of yet. The S4 has ranked the fastest of the current gen smartphones in benchmark speeds, followed by the HTC One. As a tech, here is what I like/dislike about each of the phones:

Android: Good initially. More customization options for the screens of Android. For repair: Samsung makes their devices modular, so I can replace individual components of the phone should one go bad. Feel is relative. I have seen phones such as the EVO 4G LTE that felt really good, but the build quality and components were always troublesome. Same goes with ZTE, Huawei. Good initial quality and feel, but substandard components. Samsung makes more than just phones and are working to make a large number of their products interact with each other if you choose. (i.e. You can monitor your washing machine and dryer with your phone. You can check your refrigerator from the grocery store with your phone to see if you already have milk before buying more, etc.)
That being said, I still think Android needs to take a look at how Apple, Windows, and BlackBerry monitor their apps and what they interact with. This is what is killing android over time. There is no reason why a dice rolling app should require network access and phone status information. Once Android/Google starts restricting apps and how they interact with the phone, I think long-term use of Android phones will continue to suffer.

iPhone: Solid OS, but smaller screens. You really should not have an iPhone unless you have a PC/Mac to back it up with as there are many times when you have to connect to your iTunes account to verify information/update the phone. (Note: updates can be done OTA, but it is much better to do it via WiFi or through iTunes on your computer). For repair purposes, Apple does not allow us to open their devices, but we handle any replacements at our store so customers do not have to go to an Apple store at all. Apple does not have the "bog down" issue that Android seems to suffer with after prolonged use. Construction: Glass on the front AND back of the 4/4s results in more broken screens than in other phones. IMO and from a repair point of view, we see a greater number of iPhones with cracked screens than android, and we sell a ton more iPhones than Androids.

When it came time for me to upgrade my BlackBerry, I went with the S4. 13MP camera, 16g Internal Memory - plus and SD card slot, larger screen (I watch movies on my phone a lot) which made the decision for me. My next choice was the Galaxy S3 followed by the HTC One. I did not consider the iPhone because of the screen size and the number of failed devices we have seen lately. If the Windows 8 phones or the BlackBerry Q10 were out, I may have considered one of them, but as they were not available to us, that point is moot.
Get a taste of religion: lick a Baptist!
WebFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #36 (permalink)
Waiting on GoD.

CCM Fan
Thanks for the insight WebFisher
Old 07-05-2013, 01:08 AM   #37 (permalink)
boo
Banned

Awesome about Sprint getting a windows 8 phone, too bad there's no Nokia. Any of you Android fanboys wanna buy my note 2? I'll fix the broken menu button before shipping. Couple spots in the ****ty plastic chrome trim, might replace it when I replace the button. I'll even root it with a rom of your choice.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat