mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
LOL you pay for that quality though. I think I dropped $50/ea on my Wilson 10rds.

Would you say the finish quality of the Remingtons was especially nice? I've notices some plain/lowend 1911 magazines tend to have inconsistend finishes, rough/sharp edges, and weird dents from being stamped/assembled... Anything strike you as being off?

I've got a Remington, a Kimber, and a Promag for comparison. They're all 8-round magazines.

Remington in black, Kimber in chrome, Promag in grey

Remington is welded evenly, Kimber is doing its thing, Promag is a bit uneven

The Remington has a half circle cut out, the Kimber has a rectangular cut out, and the Promag has a round rectangular cut out. You can see the Promag is still uneven.

The Remington and Kimber don't have a visible weld whereas the Promag does. The Promag is smooth though.

The Remington kinda swoops in the front, the Kimber has a flat portion then swoops, and the Promag has a small flat than it almost goes diagonally up.

The follower on the Remington is plastic and looks like there's some stainless bits in there, the Kimber has a metal finger in a way, and the Promag is straight plastic.

Overall they all work.
I haven't used the Kimber much, but it seems put together good. It also slides in nicely and sits the highest.
The Remington sits kinda low it seems, but it works fine with FMJs and HPs. The finish is pretty standard, not the best, but certainly not bad.
The Promag is the easiest to load of the three and it's worked fine so far. In my opinion it's the lowest quality of the three, but it works.

EDIT: Don't mind the homework in the background, it's a bit messy on my desk.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

I hit the Wilson site... Looks like their "Service Mag Plus" (classic style) is only $20/per which is right up my alley and right in my price range. I'm a little concerned about the stamped followers, though, I was hoping to find something with a molded follower, but then again my others haven't failed me.

Also... DAMN those Wilsons are pricey, I thought my Kimber was expensive.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
WALZ Jr.

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Sorry for the tangent, but are there any reliability differences beteween the Wilson 7 and 8 round magazines, or is it just preference? The father in law's birthday is coming up and I'm thinking about picking a couple up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie View Post
I told him NOT to fart with an upset stomache. never trust a fart!
Bigtuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thanks so much for the pictures Philosophia those are fantastic.

I've never used an 8rd but I'd guess they extend beyond the mag well a little.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
www.Axial-Photography.com

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtuana View Post
Sorry for the tangent, but are there any reliability differences beteween the Wilson 7 and 8 round magazines, or is it just preference? The father in law's birthday is coming up and I'm thinking about picking a couple up.
I've never experienced any reliability issues with any Wilson mags, regardless of capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Wilson or nothing

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
gainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

I've never had a single issue with cheap, basic, used GI mags. Same goes for my AR, too.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

Thankfully, the two 1911s I'm considering carrying shoot OK with JHPs, but some standard magazines with flat steel followers won't feed JHP properly. The stock magazines from my Zig (GI style) cause hangups in all of my 1911s with anything other than FMJ... The stock mags from my Kimber and Ruger (ramped poly followers) don't have issues and are easy to load.

I think I need to find a shop that carries a good variety and see if they'll let me fiddle with them. I am really leaning toward those $20 Wilsons though, for an extra $7 you can apparently order their highend followers and a spare spring.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
Bitter Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
I've never had a single issue with cheap, basic, used GI mags. Same goes for my AR, too.
My USGI mags I bought for the AR nearly killed me. Damn follower tilted and pushed the bullet into the cartridge, I'm guessing the powder fell out in the process, and when it fired, it was a squib. Next round loaded, didn't sound right. I opened her up and saw what happened. Never happened until I used USGI mags. Not even my ****ty Promags did that.
HyePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

Wilson mags, Wolff springs.
Air Power Vector... a MAN's gun....... A gun with a report loud enough that lesser players will pee themselves in fright at the massive concussion wave emmited by the stout thick walled barrel of DOOM. A paintball gun fit for Arnold in the original Terminator movie. A gun that'll pump up those pect's of yours to where women will swoon at the raw muscles you'll soon have.

Air Power Vector, for the man that has climbed to the peak and wants to look down on the beaten and defeated opponents left in his wake.
John Satclaire is online now   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat