mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #21 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
My local Walmart has the Hero2 Outdoor Edition (waterproof case and all the various mounts) for $189...so I think this question is answered. Now to just wait for payday to roll around.
The Hero 2 (and to a lesser extent, the 3's) have the most accessories, especially for diving. I replaced the lens in my gopro with a 50mm zoom lens, and it makes a great gun cam now. Ragecams.com makes a buttload of lenses for it. Inception Designs makes great gun mounts for it (picatinny rail, and barrel mounts).

In the end, you need to prioritize the functions you're interested in. The GoPro is great for diving and, the Inception mounts make it a strong contender for paintball (the only limitations in my opinion are the 30FPS limit at 1080P, and the frontal profile).

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
GoPro...Plus, I am not sure if this is the case, but I believe that they started the action cam/POV market. ...I believe that all three generations use the same battery. ...When mounting, you have to mount it up on top of your mask, or (In the case of paintball) on top or bottom of the barrel....

Contour - ...Most of them use swappable batteries, which are interchangeable, as well as compatible with all generations. ...Of the cameras, they are the only ones that have built in mounting points, so you can use them without a case...

...Two honorable mentions to add here: Replay and Midland.

Replay...
Midland...
I don't think any of these companies started the 'action' or 'helmet' cam industry. That started in the days of Standard Definition, and "bullet" or "Lipstick" camera ruggedized to serve in the same capacity. They did however, break open the 1080P action cam market.
Sony used to be the industry leader (they even made sensors for many other companies), for a long time until they were beat to the market with the 1080P-capable comeptitors.

The latest GoPro models do not use the same batteries as the Hero 2s. They use a slimmer, shorter life battery. Also, don't forget the Inception Designs mounts that allow for picatinny mounting. GoPro sent digitalrev.com (a camera review website) a DMCA takedown notice because digitalrev posted a review comparing the Hero 3 vs the Sony AS15. If you ask me, that behavior is something to consider.

Contour has made a greater number of models than the GoPro and that does impact the number of available accessories for any one model (generally reduces them). However, that has allowed for a greater variety of price points. They can be mounted without a case but, are not waterproof (some of the latest ones are water resistant out of the box to something like 10m but, for greater depths, you need the case) and, the built in lens protection is marginal (at least one person on this forum has had their camera destroyed by a paintball).

Before considering Replay or Midland, I'd strongly suggest watching many comparison videos as the sensors and the processing hardware/software in the cameras can make huge differences in the final video quality. It's not just a matter of pixel or line resolution. For example, GoPros with the "ProTune" capability have a much greater capability to produce finished, near cinematic quality video (with post processing) as "ProTune" mode applies a neutral color balance and bumps up the bandwidth of the video data to capture more information (check out post production ProTune videos to see what I'm talking about). I'm not familiar with (haven't seen many videos or used) either the replay or midway cameras but, given their lower rates of adoption, you need to be sure you're getting a camera that suits your video quality needs.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
First strike rounds punish lazy people. Don't be lazy and you won't have problems with first strikes.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

Halo, have you gotten any game play video yet with your zoom lens on your go pro?

I've been waiting for you to post something with it... I don't want to miss it, as I am really curious to see how it works!

I'm also curious why you guys do filters on your raw camera footage, instead of just color correcting in post production?...
FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
I have not owned a GoPro, so what I am going to say here is first hand experience on the others, and what I have seen with the GoPro's.

Pretty much, GoPro, Contour, and Sony. Cost is a factor, as well as mounting options. I guess you might as well add in profile as well.

GoPro - They have more mounting options than anyone else. Actually, you could probably combine the mounting options of any two of the competitors, and they would still have more of them. Plus, I am not sure if this is the case, but I believe that they started the action cam/POV market. So they have been doing it longer than anyone else. They have a swappable battery, so when you record and run out, you can swap your battery with another one, and get back to it. I believe that all three generations use the same battery. They come with a waterproof case right off the bat. But they are a plastic body that requires the case to mount them. So without the case, you have a camera that just sits there, no screw holes to use with a tripod or the like, just in case. This can make for a bulkier body. When mounting, you have to mount it up on top of your mask, or (In the case of paintball) on top or bottom of the barrel. Fairly easy to work with as well.

Contour - They have a number of options, most of which are very easy to work with, but limiting. Most of them use swappable batteries, which are interchangeable, as well as compatible with all generations. Profile is longer in length, but smaller in front. Of the cameras, they are the only ones that have built in mounting points, so you can use them without a case. Which they don't come with, extra cost there. Of the cameras, they are also the only one that has a lens that can turn. Want to mount it sideways? You turn your lens 90*, and it records everything just like it was in a normal mode of recording (Look at FreeEnterprise and how he mounts his ROAM). Bodies are also made of aluminum, and pretty robust as is. They can be a bit pricey though, with the older ROAM (A three year old design) being, as FreeEnterprise mentioned, in the $100 range. Pretty darn good support and customer service from Contour.

Sony - One of the newest entries into the market, less than a year now, they offer two models with only one difference; the higher end camera has wi-fi, the lower end does not. Plastic body, like the GoPro, they need to the case to mount to whatever to be used. Unlike the GoPro, the body (A smaller shape than a Contour) is rounded, so you would not be able to just place it on a table top and start recording you and your buddies BSing around or the like. Like the GoPro, and most of the Contours, they have a swappable battery, and can actually take two different batteries from the Sony line. Plus, from the gate, they offer 1080 in 30 framer per second, and with a firmware update (Although newer ones may come with this), 60 frames per second, plus they film 720 in 30, 60, and even 120 frames per second (No audio on that last setting). They have a LCD screen that not only tells you everything at a glance for what your settings are, but is very easy to read when you are adjusting your settings.

Video has typically been better with the Sony over the GoPro, and even the Contour. Especially low light. But, when going underwater, there is a kit out there that is two new front doors for the waterproof case. One door is specific for underwater, and is a wider flat lens. I believe that unless you get this, your video will have a very curved, fisheye look to it.

Two honorable mentions to add here: Replay and Midland.

Replay came into the market around two years or so ago, at least the paintball market. They partnered up with Greg Hastings, offering their camera with a special feedneck mount, for $30 over what the camera sold for. The feedneck mount has been hit and miss. Video is pretty darn good, a video from Hot Rod magazine on YouTube (I think that it was Hot Rod) showed like four different cameras mounted in a car, that drove around day and night, plus audio for each camera. In the end, the Replay handled the lighting better than the others, and had good audio, all without a case. But it is a tube (Great small profile) and mounting was a bit interesting. And it did not have a swappable battery, but the company has come out with two battery packs, both the same diameter, one around the same size of the camera, the other around half the size.

Midland makes a very Contour like camera, and they include, for a pretty low price, a waterproof case, and alot of mounts, right out of the box. Video is pretty standard, nothing special here, easy to use (One switch to turn it on and start recording, or stop recording and turn it off), and uses the same batteries as the Contours. Unlike the rest, they have a small 1/4 x 20 hole, so they can be mounted to a tripod or anything else that uses the standard screw. With the most expensive being $250, and I know that you can find them cheaper, they are a great option. Also, they come with two lenses for the waterproof case, one for normal, fisheye, and one for underwater. I used to have a pair of these, they aren't a bad camera at all.

Sorry that this is so long.
Any reason why Drift was categorically excluded from your list?
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Straight 6 DID Bust!

Drift - steer clear. TERRIBLE customer support and the products aren't exactly outstanding. They work well, but they are far from exceptional. At least the drift's I've used.

I've had a GoPro hero 2 for a while. Works pretty well - it's a bit bulky but the hero 3 will fix that problem.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
i love my hero3. works great for paintball however iv never had it underwater other then a pool which looked great of course. no one has said anything about its wifi or remote ability. we run a wifi repeater at my field and anyone can log on and watch my view while i play via cellphone. they can also change settings and the like too, its normal ran to the big screen in the staging area though.

the remote can be strapped to your wrist while diving to check the cameras settings and record via button
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pump Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFishy View Post
i love my hero3. works great for paintball however iv never had it underwater other then a pool which looked great of course. no one has said anything about its wifi or remote ability. we run a wifi repeater at my field and anyone can log on and watch my view while i play via cellphone. they can also change settings and the like too, its normal ran to the big screen in the staging area though.

the remote can be strapped to your wrist while diving to check the cameras settings and record via button
I want to play at your field.
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

I don't care about the WiFi, so is the size difference alone enough to justify a $100 increase, in your opinion?

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
Pump Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf425 View Post
I don't care about the WiFi, so is the size difference alone enough to justify a $100 increase, in your opinion?
GoPro 3 Black has much better quality. Word of warning though... the battery life is worse than the GoPro 2 which you'll need to factor in for diving. The silver is equivalent to the GoPro 2 though so just get the GoPro 2 if you can't afford the black.
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
Un-Active Member

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
honestly yes but its not the size its because my walmart carrys a full line of hero3s. and with their return policy i can return the cam no matter what happens to it......trust me it can fall off a car at 80mph and still be returned for a brand new one.

and the remote....i love my little remote

side note the cam survived that tumble but the case was trashed.
SEFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #30 (permalink)
Not Worthy Of "MCBer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
Drift - steer clear. TERRIBLE customer support and the products aren't exactly outstanding. They work well, but they are far from exceptional. At least the drift's I've used.

I've had a GoPro hero 2 for a while. Works pretty well - it's a bit bulky but the hero 3 will fix that problem.
That might explain you, but it's difficult to understand why the entire community here seems to have a collective bias (unless you're the reason for that bias) or something.

It seems like one of those "pet brand" issues again.
Logic and reason are anathema to him; but this does not deter him from prattling on.
He is the most interesting player in the world.
GoatBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat