mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #61 (permalink)
Pop-Up Ninja

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one. The reviews are solid, and it seems that the only thing it doesn't do that the Roam2 does is shoot 60fps (which I don't need) and let you change the viewing angle. It would be nice to tighten it up narrower for some things, but that ability isn't worth another $70 for the camera alone without the case.

Go ye therefore to all the nations, baptizing them in copious amounts of paint.

Proud member of Team On Target.
www.teamontargetpb.com
Murf425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #62 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
Did I mention my second contour GPS power button fell off? It was from using the water proof case too much.

Also the way the water proof case is designed(magnets), it is possible to actually turn off the recording if you exceed a certain g force. I missed plenty of games because off the break, the marker hit the ground, the magnet dislodged and stopped recording.
Odd about the power button. How long did you use the camera in the case? I had an issue with my 1080 HD, had it over a year, contacted them, they sent me a RMA number, and I got it to them to take care of right away. I guess it is nice that Contour is local.

What case are you using that uses magnets? Mine doesn't use them, for whatever that is worth.
No Mercy Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #63 (permalink)
Newbie++

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mercy Ever View Post
Odd about the power button. How long did you use the camera in the case? I had an issue with my 1080 HD, had it over a year, contacted them, they sent me a RMA number, and I got it to them to take care of right away. I guess it is nice that Contour is local.

What case are you using that uses magnets? Mine doesn't use them, for whatever that is worth.
I used the camera like 20 times at most. I didn't even bother with the RMA number on the second one. I was not going to spend another cent on it after the second one broke.

I was using the Waterproof Contour GPS case. It uses a magnet. If you look at your waterproof case's switch, it does not contact the contour what so ever. It is just the magnet on the bottom of the slider switch to active the recording.

"Originally posted by Element Paintball@pbnation: you realize it would be easier to get a new wife than a new dc2."

My MCB Feedback
noclue119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #64 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Interesting. I did not know that there was a magnet there. I guess that I figured that when it was in the case, the top slide switch actually grabbed the slide switch on the camera, and moved it. I see now that there is a magnet there. Put my camera in the case, moved it forward, pulled the camera out, and the physical switch didn't actually move. I guess that I will have to try this out.

Mine being the older model, it has both a power button on the back, and a record button on the top. So this would be the record button on mine, not the power button.

Learn something new every day...
Old 07-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #65 (permalink)
Paintball Ballistician :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
I did break my GoPro mount this weekend because it is a bad design. That's the second one I've broken. The cases self-destruct over time. I've written about this elsewhere. All of this so far I have mentioned elsewhere on this very forum, so most of you just have your blinders on. Admittedly, I outright abused the GoPro this weekend, something I have never done -- the stress fractures in the clear mounting tabs appeared on their own without excess prior stress...
I agree with SlvrDragon50, the mount and case are made to absorb abuse and fail, rather than the camera body.

However, the mount and case components are not made from 'self-destructive' materials. It's poly-carbonate, much the same as many of the loaders on the paintball market but, thicker. It will gradually get stress fractures if you're stressing it (for example, the opening/closing latch) but, that can be reasonably mitigated by doing something as simple as squeezing the door/body shut before you open or close the latch (to reduce the strain). Outside of stress fractures, if the case is just breaking on it's own, I'd check what kind of cleaning chemicals are being used. Poly-carbonate will start crazing if exposed to any solvents- I'd only use a plastics cleaner on it.
Originally Posted by Tom Kaye -in response to FS price critics
Unfortunately all of you have played the one "speedball" game of paintball for so long you can't conceive of other ways to do this and hence any new ideas seem stupid.
uv_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #66 (permalink)
Banned

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by noclue119 View Post
I was using the Waterproof Contour GPS case. It uses a magnet. If you look at your waterproof case's switch, it does not contact the contour what so ever. It is just the magnet on the bottom of the slider switch to active the recording.
So I did a bit of playing around and found that the magnet does indeed turn it on and off. Interesting, I left the front open, and moved the camera out little by little. Doesn't take much, around half an inch, to turn the camera off.

So one good thing about the Sony, there is a button on the back to start and stop recording. Actually, if it is off, you push the button and it turns it on and starts recording. Then there is a lock, if you use the case. You slide it over, and it won't turn off accidentally. Yet another reason that I like the Sony, beyond the smaller size (In the case, it is about the size of the Contour without a case) and the multiple shooting options and sensor.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat