mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
I've porked many

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
the human is the bottleneck here. you can't circumvent his low energy output. it's why the 777's today aren't propeller planes. to do what you are saying, you would have a better chance just juicing up the rider, hell we already have that technology in use in actual biking.
I understand the human power bottle neck thing. The current winner of the Sikorsky proves it can be done, no matter how ungainly and impractical it is. There are plenty of things in current use in our own modern era, that were once considered impossible. Just because somebody makes a claim on an idea's impossibility doesn't mean someone else might find a way to pull it off.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillage View Post
I understand the human power bottle neck thing. The current winner of the Sikorsky proves it can be done, no matter how ungainly and impractical it is. There are plenty of things in current use in our own modern era, that were once considered impossible. Just because somebody makes a claim on an idea's impossibility doesn't mean someone else might find a way to pull it off.
but your argument was that technology would come up with, and i quote, a "lightweight gear train." that's not going to help this thing fly outside when it's its own light weight that makes it susceptible to wind in the first place. you've already seen how sensitive it is to sideways motion even inside that building.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
but your argument was that technology would come up with, and i quote, a "lightweight gear train." that's not going to help this thing fly outside when it's its own light weight that makes it susceptible to wind in the first place. you've already seen how sensitive it is to sideways motion even inside that building.
Its only supposed to be 'human-powered' right? What if we make a jet engine that runs on human corpses? I figure a few fat people would have enough energy to get a 777 off the ground.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
I've porked many

Quote:
A lightweight gear train, different construction materials, different design, sky is the limit on what might be pulled off. That fact that they pulled it off for the prize is amazing in itself.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
Aggalicious

Going to have to agree with pillage here . The first computers took an entire room for any real calculation to even happen, and now I am typing this from a palm sized cell phone... The sky is the limit
Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

i don't think you guys are putting the physics of flight into enough consideration. quad rotors have existed for a long time, these guys are just shaving weight, and now that the prize is taken, nobody would be arsed to further human powered ones. not to mention even nature itself doesn't have anywhere close to high energy efficiency, let alone us designing a mechanical machine. compound that with the fact that, once again, these guys are just rehashing old ideas, the propellers are still airfoils, which still need surface areas to produce lift, which again, actually worsens the craft's susceptibility to wind, while in the 30 years since the start of this prize, the winners could do nothing to alleviate the drawback and instead just copped out and used the least windy place, and you think it's a sign that there's going to be one of these safely flying outside? exactly how far off into the future are we talking about? because in the 30 years the only way they found is to shave weight. even if you shave the weight down to zero you still have the weight of the rider, and going any further would disqualify this craft as a lighter-than-air vehicle, and we've had those since the 1800's. or maybe you think you can actually produce lift with less surface area, which is something even that team couldn't do? that would make it a rocket, we have those too, but they don't propel with mechanical means so you can't even make it human powered. and before you start talking about a propeller than can push air that won't be pushed by air, no, just no. you can't deny newton's laws unless you're already near light speed. on top of that, humans aren't getting stronger each generation either, so that's out too unless, again, you start juicing the rider, which would actually be the most straightforward way to solve all the problems because the lack of power is why this prize is difficult in the first place.

Last edited by heinous; 07-18-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #27 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

One point about quadrotors, is if they can make smaller but faster spinning rotors, it would be more stable in windy conditions. So Pillage's theory is possible. It is not just weight that factors into things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper42 View Post
One point about quadrotors, is if they can make smaller but faster spinning rotors, it would be more stable in windy conditions. So Pillage's theory is possible. It is not just weight that factors into things.
but it also creates less lift because the outermost parts spin the fastest, you'll get the best lift out of longer blades. look how big the props are, look how hard the rider already has to pedal...
Old 07-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #29 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

Yes but if there were technological improvements in the gear train, it would theoretically be possible to be able to spin the smaller blades faster to create enough lift. All the while it would be more stable in the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:35 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

again, what kind of technological improvements? the kind that are so far into the future that the fact that they are theoretically possible isn't even relevant? i'm not against optimism. i know naysayers can be wrong. hell, nobody believed the guy who discovered plate tectonics and here we are. theoretically, everything under the sun is theoretically possible, this prize just wasn't as significant of a milestone holy grail as they make it out to be. i mean theoretically, the crossfire ramrod barrel should work too, you won't see me holding my breath for that either.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat