mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
I've porked many

Heinous as of today you are correct on the aerodynamics of the current human powered helicopter. Being that I work in an industry that makes commercial Aramid fibers that did not exist except in a lab 45 years ago, my point is sky is the limit of what can be developed with enough motivation. Whether or not another group of people will continue to spend time, money and effort to improve on the Human powered helicopter remains to be seen.

The Crossfire barrel cannot get over the physics of Boyle's law in relation to pressure losses in an overly open system.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

that's the point, there are physics you are not going to circumvent when you limit yourself like the prize does. you might be able to build a housing for the rotors to mimimize wind's effect, but that adds weight and you already see how badly the rider has to paddle without any added weights, and how badly it balances in a place with no wind whatsoever. the wind outside isn't going to change, human body isn't getting stronger, so i really don't think one of these things flying outside let alone without tilting over is something worth getting optimistic over.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
I've porked many

The best thing about being told you can't do something out of the norm, is it generally leads people to attempt it anyway. Sometimes they fail, and yet sometimes they succeed through being stubborn enough to keep trying. History is full of people who wouldn't give up and finally succeeded.
Cheers.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #34 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I remember people telling us you couldn't build a 24 foot tall quarter pipe, and ride it on a BMX bike... And you definitely couldn't go 40 feet off the ground of said ramp.

I got to be there when the naysayers were proven wrong. And it was epic!

FreeEnterprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Matt Hoffman is nuts!

And just because someone hasn't already done it won't mean someone won't try to do it better.... history has proven that humans constantly try to innovate. There is already another team (through a school) that is still working on the Sikorsky Prize even though it's already been claimed. Saying it can't be done better... just means you aren't willing to try.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEnterprise View Post
I remember people telling us you couldn't build a 24 foot tall quarter pipe, and ride it on a BMX bike... And you definitely couldn't go 40 feet off the ground of said ramp.

I got to be there when the naysayers were proven wrong. And it was epic!

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/v...fmanramp91.gif
this isn't some arbitrary number limit. you are building a device which has limited energy that can barely use enough to steer itself without wind interference, and it still looks more like it's not able to, judging from how much the guy was yelling for him to steer. if squeezing that much energy out of this setup is possible, where is my million shot per tank paintball gun?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:13 PM   #37 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

Well say someone develops a new material or drivetrain that has less friction than existing materials. Less energy is lost due to friction so more can be transmitted to the propellers to spin faster(equating in more stability in windy conditions.)

Its not like this is at its upper limit of the quads physics. I don't imagine there will be a human powered copter doing heavy acrobatics but there is still room for improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat