mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

DNA genetic tests?

Whats up everyone. Has anybody ever tried a dna test to get information on their blood lineage? Reason I'm asking on my mom's side of the family I know very little of where they were from other then the general area of Central America. My grandpa's dad died and his mother was very sick when he was a child so he lived with his aunt and uncle for the majority of his childhood and learned little of blood lineage and as for my grandmother she grew up on a farm and her family didn't keep any sort of records on family. On my dad's side also my grandpa didn't keep any sort of records and he was long gone before I was even born so I have no knowledge of where his family descended from other then some knowledge of the Finland region. I would like to get more information on the general region my ancestors originated from. Is it worth it and accurate or is it just a money scam? Thanks
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
-Vince Lombardi

Here's my feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
TrueTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

one of my life science lab classes did that.

turns out my cheeks didn't have enough dna...

depending on your lineage you may get multiple results. it's done with computers but there is still a level of guesswork involved. you might get some odd places like africa (well technically we're all from africa so that was a bad example )

it's worth it if you're curious, but worst case scenario you might need to combine it with some basic knowlege of your family history.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat