mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran

CCM Fan
Firearms

what are some good websites to look at firearms? not looking to buy online but just wanted to see what is out there since i am new to the industry. Whats the differences between a $400 pistol compared to $800+ pistols? please excuse my ignorance but this is all greek to me until I learn more about it. The salesman at the sporting goods store told me that a .22 pistol is the way to go if you want to get rounds cheap and shoot a lot at the range. all the input would be appreciated.
Jello78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

wow...this question would require a book....just remember you get what you pay for!! .22 is for plinking, cheap amo...dont think about it for self defense...I have actually read stories were thick winter jackets and clothing stopped a .22 round.
Real steal is not much different than Pball, whats the difference between a mini and a geo 3 or Dm13?
Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Gun whore to the core

Brass N Wood Fan
Alright, to learn alot about what some firearms are worth compared to others, check out gunbroker.com.

The difference between two firearms can be determined by quite a few factors. Brand name honestly plays a huge role in what a firearm is worth. Also, quality of the manufacturing and the customer service associated with a manufacturer influence the value of a firearm. For example, a Colt 1911 is always going to be worth more than a Taurus 1911 because of the name for one, and that its the original design of the 1911 instead of a clone.

When looking at buying your first pistol, I always recommend a Glock 9mm for a few reasons:

-Extremely reliable and easy to maintain
-9mm ammo is actually not so expensive right now compared to .40 and .22
-It provides a middle of the road experience for the beginner shooter. Not too powerful to be hard to keep on target but not weak either.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to Cunha Send a message via MSN to Cunha Send a message via Yahoo to Cunha

Don't go buy a gun.

Go to a range that rents guns, and shoot a bunch. Figure out what style you like to shoot, but even then don't buy a gun.

Your best bet is to bring a friend with you that does know guns so he can show you how to be safe and things like that. Expect to spend a couple hundred dollars which will probably cover the cost of rental + a box of 9, 40, and 45.

Every single person you talk to will have a personal favorite and will be able to convince you that it is the best, and why. I won't tell you what I like. I will tell you that I thought I knew what I liked, until I finally knew enough to actually know what I liked. Don't go just on "feel" alone. Feel in the hands is deceptive and will mean any gun with a plastic frame will feel like garbage. They are not garbage.

.22 is a plinking caliber and if you get a .22 just get a ruger and call it a day. Right now .22 ammo is way overpriced for what it is, so I wouldn't suggest it. Instead go with a good defensive caliber, 9, 40, 45.

Another thing, don't rule out a good revolver. .38special and .357 magnum as well as .45 ACP revolvers are available and are very good defensive guns and I know a lot of people that simply shoot revolvers a lot better than they shoot automatics. Again, I guarantee you that you will talk to a guy who will tell you "don't even consider a revolver for serious business" but trust me, he or she is wrong.

So figure out a way to go try some pistols and have your gun loving buddy explain everything to you.

Gunbroker is a very hard place to learn about guns, though you will find some photos there.

If you know anyone with guns, talk to them and they will probably be happy to take you out shooting if you pay for the ammo you throw down range.

Any major manufacturer will make a reliable gun. Sig, Glock, S&W, Springfield, HK...all good guns. Everyone has their own opinion. To other posters, I suggest we do not tell the original poster what gun to get, because a forum fight about everyones pet brand will not give him the insights he needs into finding his first pistol.

Again, under normal non panicky conditions, a .22lr pistol is the way to go just to have something to shoot at targets all the time. It isn't a defensive weapon at all. If you just want to shoot a lot, and become a good shot, buy yourself a good pellet or BB pistol, or even a cheap one. You can shoot these in back yards at cans and become quite a good shot. I have probably 100,000,000 rounds through my various pellet guns and my red ryder when I was younger, and you better believe I saved a lot of money working up my shooting skills this way rather than with firearms.

PSA: Please don't use photobucket to post images. When you go through one of the older picture threads and find a lot of dead photo links, it is because of photobucket. They limit the amount of bandwidth your free subscription pictures can use, and then make the photo unviewable. Please use imgur.com or another free image host that does not ruin picture threads.

Last edited by Cunha; 07-22-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Photo Guru

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jello78 View Post
what are some good websites to look at firearms? not looking to buy online but just wanted to see what is out there since i am new to the industry. Whats the differences between a $400 pistol compared to $800+ pistols? please excuse my ignorance but this is all greek to me until I learn more about it. The salesman at the sporting goods store told me that a .22 pistol is the way to go if you want to get rounds cheap and shoot a lot at the range. all the input would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha View Post
Don't go buy a gun.

Go to a range that rents guns, and shoot a bunch. Figure out what style you like to shoot, but even then don't buy a gun.

Your best bet is to bring a friend with you that does know guns so he can show you how to be safe and things like that. Expect to spend a couple hundred dollars which will probably cover the cost of rental + a box of 9, 40, and 45.

Every single person you talk to will have a personal favorite and will be able to convince you that it is the best, and why. I won't tell you what I like. I will tell you that I thought I knew what I liked, until I finally knew enough to actually know what I liked. Don't go just on "feel" alone. Feel in the hands is deceptive and will mean any gun with a plastic frame will feel like garbage. They are not garbage.

.22 is a plinking caliber and if you get a .22 just get a ruger and call it a day. Right now .22 ammo is way overpriced for what it is, so I wouldn't suggest it. Instead go with a good defensive caliber, 9, 40, 45.

Another thing, don't rule out a good revolver. .38special and .357 magnum as well as .45 ACP revolvers are available and are very good defensive guns and I know a lot of people that simply shoot revolvers a lot better than they shoot automatics. Again, I guarantee you that you will talk to a guy who will tell you "don't even consider a revolver for serious business" but trust me, he or she is wrong.

So figure out a way to go try some pistols and have your gun loving buddy explain everything to you.

Gunbroker is a very hard place to learn about guns, though you will find some photos there.

If you know anyone with guns, talk to them and they will probably be happy to take you out shooting if you pay for the ammo you throw down range.

Any major manufacturer will make a reliable gun. Sig, Glock, S&W, Springfield, HK...all good guns. Everyone has their own opinion. To other posters, I suggest we do not tell the original poster what gun to get, because a forum fight about everyones pet brand will not give him the insights he needs into finding his first pistol.

Again, under normal non panicky conditions, a .22lr pistol is the way to go just to have something to shoot at targets all the time. It isn't a defensive weapon at all. If you just want to shoot a lot, and become a good shot, buy yourself a good pellet or BB pistol, or even a cheap one. You can shoot these in back yards at cans and become quite a good shot. I have probably 100,000,000 rounds through my various pellet guns and my red ryder when I was younger, and you better believe I saved a lot of money working up my shooting skills this way rather than with firearms.
Cunha hits on a lot of good points.

Being in Jersey may hamper your ability to find a larger number of handguns that are available but put your hands on what you can and put rounds down range.

My main question is, what are you wanting to do with it? I have a few .22s because I absolutely LOVE shooting .22. Hands down my favorite caliber. How did I find that out, I shot. A LOT. I've shot about every major handgun out there and I know what I like. That's what you need to do, shoot as much as you can.

Think of it like paintball. How would you help someone pick their first marker if they were brand new to the sport? It's pretty much the same thing.

If you have general questions about types of guns or what terms mean, of the difference in caliber sizes and capacities, etc, just ask. LOTS of knowledgeable guys (and gals) on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
chopper duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

I shot at a range a while ago after getting licensed for handguns. You will get bored of a .22 real quick but it is good fun. And it is cheap to shoot. 9mm or 40cal would be my recommendation. More bang for the buck. Plus it's a more useful round day to day.
Reality Compromised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bitter Young Man

A .22 is like a 250cc motorcycle. Great start caliber and cheap. But yes, it's kind of a boring caliber, but in reality, all you need. It's a minimum.
HyePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunha
If you just want to shoot a lot, and become a good shot, buy yourself a good pellet or BB pistol, or even a cheap one.
Even a Gas blow back or good springer airsoft can be used for target shooting, and they duplicate the feel and function of the actual handguns you own.

Shaken......but not stirred. Licenced to paint.
bond commander bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
MCB Member

For web sites, American Rifleman - The .40 S&W has lots of info. I thought there was a gun catalog somewhere, nra, rifleman or somewhere, but I can't find it.

Use gunbroker to figure out the common market prices of things, like shopping ebay.

Since trigger control and recoil management are important to accurate shooting, I prefer to plink with with larger calibers because I don't shoot as often as I used to. Be sure to at least try out a 9mm, full frame pistol (not compact at first). Most people find them easy to shoot. It's near the middle of cartridge power. 9mm autos and 38/357 revovlers are common for good reasons, but you want something that you like to shoot, maybe more or less.

some things are stickier than others
Spider! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo View Post
I have actually read stories were thick winter jackets and clothing stopped a .22 round.
That's ridiculous. Don't try this at home people.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat