mcarterbrown.com

mcarterbrown.com (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/)
-   General Chat (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/)
-   -   Grumble... Knife care (http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/general-chat/240124-grumble-knife-care.html)

Schmitti 08-17-2013 06:49 PM

Grumble... Knife care

So I was at the County Fair today and literally almost stepped on a knife. Here on the ground was a Kershaw Leak (half serated blade).... I actually had no idea what it was when I picked it up, looked around to see if anyone was doing the "hey I think I dropped my...." stance. When no one seemed to be looking for the blade I tucked it into my pocket. When we got back to the car at the end of the day I needed to cut wrist bands off the kids and out came the knife.

Whomever owned this thing last does not deserve to have it back! The blade is basically flat and where it isn't flat it's chipped. I looks like a beaver chewed on the serrations and they bent the tip! I mean seriously?!?!?!?

Now I remember having some knives as a kid that I carried because I thought I was a bad *** by doing so... a couple CRKT folders come to mind. But I never did stupid crap with them (other than constantly flick them open and closed) that would ruin the blade.

The only time I screwed up a blade as a kid was on a BSA (Boy Scout of America) Swiss Army with jibbed bone handles (they were plastic) that had a carbon blade that I left some kind of crud on that sped up corrosion and f'd up the finish.

Otherwise over the 25 years or so that I have carried a knife I have done a damn good job of keeping it maintained.

So... If you buy a knife from me in the future.. please take care of it. Follow the instructions that I include on care and sharpening (yes I usually include a page that I've typed up) and don't use it to chop stones or pry open manholes or whatever this idiot did.

I'll certainly try to bring this thing back to life.. I like it, but can't see being 100% successful.

E

MarkT 08-17-2013 07:20 PM

Perhaps it deserves a good funeral.

Murf425 08-17-2013 07:22 PM

#1 rule I always see broken: a knife is NOT a screwdriver.

Schmitti 08-17-2013 07:26 PM

Mark I'm going to try to get it servicable again.

I have a feeling a kid owned this and used it more as a switch blade to threaten people with... not as a real tool. For me personally a blade that is that short and 1/2 serrated is almost non usable. But I'll give it a go and see if I can make it into a tool again.

E

Dave Cameron 08-17-2013 07:35 PM

Love the design of the Ken Onion Kershaws, but the steel really doesn't like to keep an edge.

chrislognshot 08-17-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Cameron (Post 2783081)
Love the design of the Ken Onion Kershaws, but the steel really doesn't like to keep an edge.

are you talking about pocket knifes or the kitchen knifes.

Schmitti 08-17-2013 08:05 PM

The pocket knives.

I'll have to look up the steel on both.

E

Schmitti 08-17-2013 08:09 PM

Hmmmm

"The handle is made of 410 stainless steel and the blade is made from Sandvik 14C28N stainless steel"

And thoughts from another forum:
Wicked Edge :: Topic: Sandvik 14C28N? (1/1)

MarkT 08-17-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schmitti (Post 2783073)
Mark I'm going to try to get it servicable again.

E

I treat my tools well and believe in using things as long as they can be used but I am torn on items that have been abused. They have already seen a hard life and been discarded, would they want to be brought back to usable or left to rust in peace? Yeah I know, knives and other tools don't have feelings. But I treat them as if they do. I am old and quirky, deal with it.

oldschool45 08-17-2013 08:16 PM

Call up Kershaw. Contact | Kershaw Knives You'd be surprised what they will do customer service wise. They won't ship you a new blade but they may depot rebuild it for you for free even if you offer to pay for it.. If you don't get anywhere there (highly unlikely) PM me and I will get you in contact with one of their company reps on another message board.

Whenever you loan out a knife ask whit they are going to do with it. If they are asking to borrow one its because they don't have one and most likely don't know how to use it. A knife is not; a screwdriver, a chisel or a prybar. Yes I feel your pain:bang: