mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via AIM to Fubarius Send a message via Yahoo to Fubarius

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Applying an RPG Min-maxer strategy to Fantasy Football?

So at work they're thinking of starting a fantasy football league ($20 buy in). Part of me wants to sign up, even though the extent of my football knowledge is "those guys usually run, those guy usually try to catch, he throws, everyone else tries to get in someones way, ball hopefully goes that way." Really, most of the positions are a mystery to me, and I really have no interest in solving that mystery as it wouldn't increase my passive enjoyment of watching the Packer's play (though those guys really need more of those running guys, whatever the heck that position or positions are called).

Anyway, I tend to know a RPG when I see one, and when I find a new one the first thing to do is of course break the system. I heard more than one member of the old gaming group go "Your halfling thief hit for how much damage with a dagger? No way you have that much of a to hit bonus! And what do you mean you still have more attacks?!?" Ah the horrible things you can do when you find the loopholes and exploits.

So part of me wants to apply that strategy to fantasy football. Find the underutilized rules, the loopholes people disregard in the name of "realism", the strategies people overlook because they actually care about the players they're fielding.

Yeah, it's probably a bit too evil. Kind of like how I ended up being uninvited from an overly serious Vampire LARP back in college. I just brought up the idea of playing as Malkavian who would in-character try to start a pen and paper Rifts game and suddenly they stopped asking me (and any group that wouldn't find that idea hilarious isn't a group for me).

So, should I be evil, or should I let the actual fans have their fun?

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pump Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
So at work they're thinking of starting a fantasy football league ($20 buy in). Part of me wants to sign up, even though the extent of my football knowledge is "those guys usually run, those guy usually try to catch, he throws, everyone else tries to get in someones way, ball hopefully goes that way." Really, most of the positions are a mystery to me, and I really have no interest in solving that mystery as it wouldn't increase my passive enjoyment of watching the Packer's play (though those guys really need more of those running guys, whatever the heck that position or positions are called).

Anyway, I tend to know a RPG when I see one, and when I find a new one the first thing to do is of course break the system. I heard more than one member of the old gaming group go "Your halfling thief hit for how much damage with a dagger? No way you have that much of a to hit bonus! And what do you mean you still have more attacks?!?" Ah the horrible things you can do when you find the loopholes and exploits.

So part of me wants to apply that strategy to fantasy football. Find the underutilized rules, the loopholes people disregard in the name of "realism", the strategies people overlook because they actually care about the players they're fielding.

Yeah, it's probably a bit too evil. Kind of like how I ended up being uninvited from an overly serious Vampire LARP back in college. I just brought up the idea of playing as Malkavian who would in-character try to start a pen and paper Rifts game and suddenly they stopped asking me (and any group that wouldn't find that idea hilarious isn't a group for me).

So, should I be evil, or should I let the actual fans have their fun?
Euhh... I don't know if there are that many loopholes in fantasy... there's a good bit of luck involved with injuries and whatnot, but you really need to know the stats and players.
SlvrDragon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Sports is one of those things that is analyzed to death. I think the only obscure thing you are going to find that would catch regulars offguard is a once-a-season call by the ref's where nobody else knows the rules. Odds are that's not going to help you any because you are hands off from both the event and the ruling.

However, I think you should play. I don't know how it works, but there is obviously a scoring system. If you break that down and find out where the biases are, you could see if your RPG background could come in handy with picking who you choose to play based on statistics alone and the next team you will be playing.

>>> Link to prototype Dust Devil<<<

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
aka SoulCoffin

AKA Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
like the others have said... i'm not exactly sure how you would go about "exploiting" anything. im not sure what you would consider a "loophole" that would be disregarded in the name of "realism". or underutilized rules? yea... not sure about that one either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
However, I think you should play. I don't know how it works, but there is obviously a scoring system. If you break that down and find out where the biases are, you could see if your RPG background could come in handy with picking who you choose to play based on statistics alone and the next team you will be playing.
I agree with him, try playing. it might actually convert you from a casual fan to a hardcore fan. but what he says about choosing your team... that's the normal micromanagement of a fantasy team. no rpg background needed, heh.

Last edited by TooningSpork; 08-21-2013 at 08:56 AM.
TooningSpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

I figure you saw something like this. It doesn't really work that way unfortunately. It is sort of like trying to get someone to create a MTG deck with out knowing any of the game breaking cards.....you NEED to know who some of the players are and what they are capable of.
elraido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Fantasy Football is already min-maxing. There's no role-playing, there's no sportsmanship, it's not about realism (unless you play in a full-roster dynasty league) so it's all about crunching the numbers.
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat