mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
08sdekim

Brass N Wood Fan
I got a mathews compound a week ago and have been having a blast practicing in my down time. I stopped by the shop again today and picked up a couple of judo points.

This probably isn't news to most of the people posting in this thread but nailing water bottles with judos is a whole bag of fun. I just tossed a couple out into the yard and every time you hit them they get pushed farther out. It gets pretty challenging after a while.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #32 (permalink)
Probably

Here is the biggest question you are facing: Do you have a local store with an experienced guy who will tell you if a bow will blow up in your face?

Because this is what you're facing when you buy a used bow: It blows up in your face and kills you. I had a bow blow up in my face. I got lucky, the wooden stake that flew over my shoulder missed my face. Would've either killed or severely maimed me if it hit anywhere.

If you don't have that local store, you MUST buy new. The stakes are too high. And you MUST buy the right arrows, or else THOSE will blow up on you.

Now then, if you're buying new, here is what you're looking at:

140 for a GOOD foam target. Trust me, you'll need it.

300-700 for a good compound bow with all the bells and whistles. You'll need a good arrow rest at LEAST. And if you're getting a compound you really SHOULD get a sight as well as a peep (It goes into the string and lets you line up with the sight.) The sight will run you 30-100. The peep will cost you 5 dollars and 30 dollars to install on your string - or a new string at 100. It should also come with a good rest. If it doesn't, get a whisker biscuit for 30. I prefer the "claw" rests myself, but everyone likes a whisker biscuit.

Now you'll need the arrows. If you're getting a compound you need arrows that are weighted right and have the right spine so they won't explode. They will run you 40-100 for 6 either way.

Finally, as for the draw length you need to go to a store. They will test you. As far as draw weight, you want at least 30 (fun to shoot) to 55. 35 is the minimum to shoot deer in most states, FYI. You don't want to be a superman. You want to have fun shooting a bow. I have a 75 pound bow I hate. It can take down a water buffalo humanely at 100 yards. But I ain't shooting water buffalo. Even dialed out to 55 pounds it sucks ***.
PlawB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
Simple mind - beware

Oh how I miss archery. I used to shoot an X-200 with 35# pull. Wood arrows just for fun.
Damn this thread.
Now I want a bow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvik View Post
9 times out of 10, it's an electric razor. But sometimes...

it's a dildo.
Me Feedback
Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #34 (permalink)
Post Whore

Do it Chaz, do it, jump on the band wagon
There is apparently a really big Bow store down in Waterloo I'd love to hit, but its a bit far for me. Bit closer for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
We can always hack and mold it the way we want it. This is MCB after all....
gunman_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #35 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

The way NY words it, 35 lbs is too low.

"It is unlawful to hunt big game with:"
"A bow with a draw weight of 35 lbs or less."

Deer and Bear Hunting Regulations - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

So you would technically need to go with 35.1 lb .... or round up to a 40 lb draw.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #36 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
So after doing some research I believe I'm going to buy new and am looking at this one.
Fleetwood 62" Sage Takedown Bow | Cabela's Canada
The reviews on it are excellent and I think it should be a great place to start.
eBay
username: bacreman, 100+, 100% positive
Tdotballers.com
http://www.tdotballers.com/forums/in...&#entry1062159
Mcarterbrown.com Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #37 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX View Post
So after doing some research I believe I'm going to buy new and am looking at this one.
Fleetwood 62" Sage Takedown Bow | Cabela's Canada
The reviews on it are excellent and I think it should be a great place to start.
Those are great bows. I started both of my boys with those.

Start at 30lbs or so to get your form down then you can get heavier limbs as needed.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have been shooting traditional for over 30 years.
brew52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #38 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Thanks brew52. On that site the lowest draw weight you can get is 45lbs. I figure I'll go with that and upgrade as I need to. But for target 45 should be plenty.
eBay
username: bacreman, 100+, 100% positive
Tdotballers.com
http://www.tdotballers.com/forums/in...&#entry1062159
Mcarterbrown.com Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #39 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

I think 45lbs is far too strong as a starting weight but everyone is different. I second brew52 and would recommend something near 30 to start off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #40 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX View Post
Thanks brew52. On that site the lowest draw weight you can get is 45lbs. I figure I'll go with that and upgrade as I need to. But for target 45 should be plenty.
Check out these guys. Great place to buy.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/
brew52 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat