mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #41 (permalink)
Sic Itur Ad Astra

Send a message via MSN to Falcon16 Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon16

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper42 View Post
I think 45lbs is far too strong as a starting weight but everyone is different. I second brew52 and would recommend something near 30 to start off.
agreed I started off with 20lbs as a kid and it was just fine. 45lbs for target shooting is overkill. depending on the range you're shooting at I'd say 25lbs or so is a great light pull for target shooting.

Feedback +34/-0
Click here to email me
My youtube channel
My downsizing/cleaning house sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
Pump paintball is cheaper than any drug habit I've ever heard of.
Falcon16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #42 (permalink)
Post Whore

Ta daaaa...Just picked it up last night. 40# draw, was hoping for a 35# (lowest draw with this brand's model) but it shoots quite nicely and I have no problems with it so far.

It's an OMP Rocky Mountain Hunter...which I'm 98% sure is a rebranded Samick. I saw a conversation about a week ago on an archery board I hang around that the Sage and polaris limbs fit this riser. So in theory, I can buy Samick limbs in lower/bigger poundage. Also, I could find a cheap Cartel Riser, I have heard they make a very nice shooting bow with the Samick limbs.

Got 6 carbon arrows (nice ones too, cause that's just what he happened to have bare shaft) with 125g field points. Nicely fletched with red and white (he was feeling patriotic when he did them). He put a brass nock on there for me and some string mufflers. Picked up a nice leather glove from him as well.

Can't wait to spend my mornings shooting after work. At least until winter hits anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
We can always hack and mold it the way we want it. This is MCB after all....
gunman_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #43 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Awesome! That's the one I want. The lowest draw they have available right now at Cabelas is 50#.
eBay
username: bacreman, 100+, 100% positive
Tdotballers.com
http://www.tdotballers.com/forums/in...&#entry1062159
Mcarterbrown.com Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #44 (permalink)
Post Whore

ya 50 is a bit much. I wanted 35, but the shop told me his distributer has a 40 right now, or I would have to wait who knows how long for a 35 to come in. I'd love to have had a lower weight, but it's hard with these small shops.

I can draw and shoot this pretty easily, but if you ask me to hold it for more than a few seconds, I wobble...I'm sure that will go away with time, but for now its mostly snap shooting for me. Which is fine, I find it fun. 50 would be a very similar situation for you, quick draw and shoot...very little holding on target.

Have they said how long it will take them to get a lower weight model?
Quote:
Old 09-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #45 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Have they said how long it will take them to get a lower weight model?
I haven't been in contact with them yet. Evidently with these bows you can change out the limbs on them to lower the draw weight.
eBay
username: bacreman, 100+, 100% positive
Tdotballers.com
http://www.tdotballers.com/forums/in...&#entry1062159
Mcarterbrown.com Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #46 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
So... Reading this thread and watching YouTube I bought a beginner bow and glove on amazon.com for $50. The arrows would take too long to arrive so ill get some at Gander Montain near my house. The bow I got is the Bear- Titan Bear Archery Titan Bow:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

Last edited by Lead-Foot; 09-29-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Lead-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #47 (permalink)
Post Whore

Got some blue foam billets from my dad (good old township garbage), and set them up at the paintball field after work this morning. Took a bit to set things up, finding a good spot at all. But spent a good hour shooting, no real target, just 11 or so yards/meters away (I did try a few 20 yard shots, but no pics).

Here are my first and last groupings. I'm quite happy with them for my first time out by myself.
First

Last

Only missed the billet a handful of times. I'm really looking forward to doing this several times a week after work.

240SX, ya the best part is being able to change the limbs on these bows. Granted the favourable way to do it is bump up in weight really lol, but buying a lower pair online somewhere works pretty good too. I'm almost positive Samick limbs will work on this. But don't trust your money to that.
Quote:
Old 09-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #48 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hckmIbnM8lI

This is a video of my first day of archery. I'll make more videos as I progress. I'm in my backyard about 10 yards from the target. Learning how the bow works and how the arrows fly. Not much different than pump paintball. I think this is something I can really get into.

Last edited by Lead-Foot; 09-28-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #49 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

One big no-no you are doing in the video is nocking your arrows wrong. Usually they are color coded and the odd color faces away from the bow. Yours could be fletched differently but what you don't want is that fletch that sticks out to hit the bow (which it is doing in your video). It will cause your arrows to fly erratically and can ruin fletchings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #50 (permalink)
Old School

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper42 View Post
One big no-no you are doing in the video is nocking your arrows wrong. Usually they are color coded and the odd color faces away from the bow. Yours could be fletched differently but what you don't want is that fletch that sticks out to hit the bow (which it is doing in your video). It will cause your arrows to fly erratically and can ruin fletchings.
Thanks, I figured that out later in the day, some reason no one did a youtube video on that when I was learning the basics. Any other tips on form?

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat