mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Archery

For someone who wants to get started and learn archery, what equipment would be suggested for a beginner adult male? And how much money are you looking at to get started?
eBay
username: bacreman, 100+, 100% positive
Tdotballers.com
http://www.tdotballers.com/forums/in...&#entry1062159
Mcarterbrown.com Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

Last edited by 240SX; 09-10-2013 at 12:38 PM.
240SX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
I lika doa the cha cha

It depends on strength, draw length, how much you want to shell out. I would recommend a re-curve bow or a compound. with a longbow you might get bored of it easily. You also might need a forearm protector. That crap hurts if you snap yourself.
blitz121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Jesus, there are so many directions...

What "genre?" Competitive, traditional, hunting? Do you want a compound, recurve, longbow? If review or longbow, modern or traditional?

Magoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lathe Fiend

Try to find a local shop where you can test bows out before you buy. That will let you figure out what you like plus they can properly size you for the proper draw length. I would say for a beginner recurve setup you can be in it for as little as 200-300 all the way up to thousands of dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOldSkool View Post
CNC's are for nerds...
MCB Feedback

Sheridan Misc FS: Grips, bodies
sniper42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
mag shooter

i picked up a bow awhile back mainly to shoot with and possibly hunt with. i ended up spending around $800 or so, for compoud bow,arrow release, target, arrows, and case. i wish i had more time to shoot it but living in an apt doesn't really let me shoot it as much as i want.

feedback(http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html)
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

I shoot a reflex/deflex longbow (like an oversized recurve), so I don't know much about wheel bows, but I can tell you for sure, if you want a stick and string, START WITH A LOW POUNDAGE. We're talking 20-30# at 28" of draw. Archery is all about consistency and form, and of you start off with a heavy bow, you will develop bad habits in your form, ruining your consistency. There is a science to archery. Learn it.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
but I can tell you for sure, if you want a stick and string, START WITH A LOW POUNDAGE. We're talking 20-30# at 28" of draw. Archery is all about consistency and form, and of you start off with a heavy bow, you will develop bad habits in your form, ruining your consistency. There is a science to archery. Learn it.
There we go this is what I need to know. My experience with this stuff is ZERO. I'm thinking right now my interest would be for target practice as we don't have any deer here to hunt. I think a moose would laugh at you with a bow and arrow. Is there a type of bow that is best to learn on? Is simpler better or should someone just jump straight into a compound bow?
eBay
username: bacreman, 100+, 100% positive
Tdotballers.com
http://www.tdotballers.com/forums/in...&#entry1062159
Mcarterbrown.com Feedback
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
240SX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

Having the time to practice is keeping me from bow hunting (and investing in the equipment).

Yeah I agree with starting with a bow with low draw weight. After you've practiced and become confident in your ability, then go buy a Compound bow. Depending on your state there will be a Minimum Draw for hunting. This is to ensure that you do more than just stick an arrow in an animal's side and that you actually kill the animal with a good shot (Yes that is over simplified).

We are probably buying my son a bow when he's seven (7)... he is 5 now and has shot the bows at the fair, but even the little ones are still strung so that he can't shoot an arrow that far. And... with a 3 year old brother I'd rather wait until the little one is 5 to have a bow and target arrows around the house. Maybe by then I will have my own bow to practice with too.

E
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Well, there's the catch. Sticks and strings are simpler mechanically, but tend to be trickier to shoot. I find that rewarding, but it's not for everyone. Wheel bows are more complex mechanically, but are easier to shoot well. You sound like you are leaning towards stick and string, so I'll help however I can.

If you aren't set on traditional, look into bows with "ILF" risers. The riser is the grip. ILF stands for "international limb fitting" and is the standard amongst competitive bows, and is increasingly common for take down hunting bows. That way, you can get a riser with 20# limbs and increase limb weight as it's comfortable to do so.

Go to the forum www.archerytalk.com. It's the PBN of the archery world, full of hype, hotheads and fanboys, but it's also the largest archery forum out there, and is a wealth of info if you want to sift for it.

Last edited by Magoo; 09-10-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Formerly DeTrevni

Also, there will be some things you need to research. Look up YouTube vids on posture and form for competitive and traditional archery for compound and recurve/longbow. Google for articles on arrow spine and tuning, and measuring draw lengths. Most importantly, figure out which anchor point (string hand's reference contact point on the face) works best for you.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat