mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Learning through the internet.

I sware if people would put it upon themselves to learn on their own, just the internet would be more than enough of a tool to gain TONS of knowledge.

Example, never touched a rubiks cube till tuesday night, watched a few tutorials online and on youtube, and now today (thursday, 2 days later) I can solve it in about a minute and a half and getting faster.

It just got me thinking, there is most likely a tutorial for nearly everything imiginable on the internet. Aside for things involving physical labor or some kind of special dexterity, theres no reason to say "I don't know how" anymore.

Bleh whatever, just a short thought of the day lol.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

I turn to the internet for education a lot. Forums and sites like howstuffworks have a lot of information. Shoot, even youtube is great. I spent an hour on it a few weeks ago watching videos on electrical components and what their functions are. It still baffles me what some of these things are capable of without haveing any moving parts, but at least I understand more than I did.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

True to an extent, but there's lots of deep knowledge and skill that takes years of study and practice to master. As a dog trainer, if I had a dollar for every messed-up theory I've heard from clients that they got from the Internet I'd be all set for retirement. A little knowledge applied inappropriately can truly be a dangerous thing.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12439

My other passion: http://www.cameroncanine.com
Dave Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
boo
Banned

The funny thing about the internet and asking for DIY help is you usually get 10 words of warning from people who have never tried it before for every one good piece of advice (guilty myself). Like somehow opening something up and tinkering is going to open up Pandora's black box and you'll lose your eyeballs or fingers or electrocute yourself dead with a 9 volt power source. "Let a professional handle this" who's also learning by googling or watching a video on youtube, lol.

Last edited by boo; 09-12-2013 at 02:35 PM.
boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Working for a small employee owned company sometimes I have no choice but to resort to the internet. I now know more about evaporative emissions, different steel types, rubber types, ect, then I would ever care to know.
No Have MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Have MSG View Post

Working for a small employee owned company sometimes I have no choice but to resort to the internet. I now know more about evaporative emissions, different steel types, rubber types, ect, then I would ever care to know.
I do this a lot. I don't really want to ask questions that would be very basic to those around me. I am in a new environment though, and so to brush up on things I've never really worked with in the past I look up material properties online and in our spec database. By reading the specs I've caught a few references that were used a lot, but out of date. I had them corrected and was pretty happy knowing that I helped the group.

Quote:
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
Old 09-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes and no.
For some basic how-to/ DIY stuff then yes, the internet is a great resource.

For factual or study-based things it is often the worst offender of spreading and continuation of misinformation or downright incorrect data. I'm a military history geek and I do a lot of research on equipment and units. One thing I have noticed is that a lot of top searches on Google are simply cut n paste of the same thing, and a lot of the time it is simply wrong or common folklore/ myth. Search engines like Google don't index based on actual correctness, so the websites that are designed for best SEO placement naturally get top spots. Every time someone wants to debate something because they read the article about it on Cracked.com I just want to throttle them!
LettuceHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LettuceHead View Post
Yes and no.

For factual or study-based things it is often the worst offender of spreading and continuation of misinformation or downright incorrect data. I'm a military history geek and I do a lot of research on equipment and units. One thing I have noticed is that a lot of top searches on Google are simply cut n paste of the same thing, and a lot of the time it is simply wrong or common folklore/ myth. Search engines like Google don't index based on actual correctness, so the websites that are designed for best SEO placement naturally get top spots. Every time someone wants to debate something because they read the article about it on Cracked.com I just want to throttle them!
That's true but it is also important to crosscheck sources and look for references. I would imagine there is more misinformation about military history then their is the difference between 4130 and 4140 chromoly. I always also due a search that I will put "forum" at the beginning. Imagine that , there is a forum for freaking everything.
No Have MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Have MSG View Post
That's true but it is also important to crosscheck sources and look for references. I would imagine there is more misinformation about military history then their is the difference between 4130 and 4140 chromoly. I always also due a search that I will put "forum" at the beginning. Imagine that , there is a forum for freaking everything.
I pick forum discussions over lots of different types of search results. You often have people talking about a subject and their various experiences with the subject. Most recently I've been doing that with metalworking machinery. If you plug in a make and model and get very few results, it's likely that you are going to be flying solo on repairs or replacement parts. Others are so prolific that they have forums for every single model. A good example would be the various Atlas/Craftsman and South Bend lathes that are nearly 80 years old. Tons of info and parts out there, not to mention forum support.

Quote:
Feedback
Old 09-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Yes, that is a joke ---->

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LettuceHead View Post
Yes and no.

I'd say it's 'yes and yes'.

What you found is part of learning. Reading 1 internet article and regurgitating it is not. The internet is just a tool. There is a right and wrong way to use any tool and most people don't know how to effectively use it.
ta2maki is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat