mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
It's the law to ride in the street...

In fact, it's illegal to ride elsewhere.

At least here in CT.
This. CT law also dictates that automobiles must pass a cyclist with at least 6 feet to spare, IIRC.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Exterminate!

Send a message via AIM to WilD

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
RTP Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_81 View Post
Not according to Michigan state law:
Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
There's no debate to be had. They're absolutely allowed on roads, and can even ride down the middle of a lane if they want. Lots of citys have even made riding on the sidewalk illegal, and it comes with quite a hefty ticket.

These are rules for highways, which are different. They have minimum speed limits and are made for high speed travel. Most of them have signs stating that human powered vehicles, or scooters, or slow moving vehicles are not allowed to be on them.
Martix agent is correct. The road is the proper place for a bicycle, and they are entitled to use a traffic lane in the absence of a marked bicycle lane. Bicycling is on an upswing and you'll be seeing more designated bike lanes, as well as lane sharing markers where the budget allows. Detroit is incorporating a lot of bike lanes, and Suburbs like Royal Oak are adding markers or lanes to many of their roads as they are being resurfaced as part of their city master plan. I wish there were more bike lanes, but things are improving.

I encourage anyone who sees problems in their area with bicycle traffic to go to their municipal meetings and demand bike lanes. This is the solution to problems sharing the road in my opinion.
WilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Release the kraken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoS8tOeVFgQ

Bicyclists eradicate themselves don't worry.

Vegard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Post Whore

Personally, I think some of the guys are crazy for the roads they choose to bike on. While they may have the right to ride a bicycle on public roads, I wouldn't trust most people on the road with my life. Risky enough as it is with a 3000lb metal car wrapped around me....

Last edited by OPBN; 10-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayCare View Post
Hmmm let's see.

Paved roads are for vehicles. Bikes are vehicles.

Paved roads are built with tax money. Bicyclists pay taxes.

Paved roads are open to all legal users. Riding a bike on a paved road is legal.

Yeah, you're right. Who do those *******s think they are?
Roads are typically paid for with the gas tax (or partially by bonds if your place can't manage money, like Tucson). Here, it's .28/gallon. How much gas do bike riders buy while riding? The flip side is that in Tucson, bike lanes are required on all new/redone roads.

Since a good chunk of the major roads have been redone since the bike bike lane requirement, it's not very bad any more. Lance the Cheater used to come here during the winter months and would ride with a group of 20+, half of them in the car portion of the street. You stay in your lane, I'll stay in mine. You come into my lane and there is a car coming the opposite direction, you will lose.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Fear the Beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
. You stay in your lane, I'll stay in mine. You come into my lane and there is a car coming the opposite direction, you will lose.
So you're saying you don't know how to apply the brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyorigin View Post
Comparing a SP product to a CCM is like comparing dog crap to Lemon Meriegn Pie.
forstgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by forstgump View Post
So you're saying you don't know how to apply the brakes?
The roads where I live are 50MPH speed limits. If I can't go left to escape a collision, you bet I'll be on the brakes, but if I'm closing on somebody by 30MPH, it might not be enough. I've had singles veer out in front of me for no reason, which on windy 50MPH roads is not exactly fun to deal with.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

My chief complaint with cyclists (and frankly, motorcyclists as well) is this strange idea they have that OTHER PEOPLE should worry more about their safety than THEY do. Yes, everyone on the road has a responsibility to maintain a watchful eye for other riders/vehicles, but guess what? If a mistake happens, the guy in the car/truck is going to win, every time, and the cyclist is going to lose. And frankly, that's on the cyclist for choosing the more vulnerable form of transportation.

Yes, people driving cars and trucks should be considerate and attentive on the road. So should cyclists, but the simple fact is that cyclists have a LOT more to lose, and should thereby exercise more caution. And frankly, blocking faster traffic, whether you're on a bike OR a motorized vehicle, is always a dick move. Most likely a ticketable offense as well for obstructing traffic flow.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Proud Member of UCSF

In my city it's been illegal to ride on the walks for some time the only exception is if your bike tires are less then 24" witch is there so kids can still ride on the walks for safety reasons. But there are stupid people out there who definitely take chances. Downtown is the worst with all the bicycle couriers but it's not limited to downtown.

A couple months ago I'm driving to work and there was a cyclist on the right shoulder I'm in the left lane and without any warning (ie hand signals) the cyclist cuts across to make a left turn through traffic, there was a car about 5' behind him and me actually turning left in the far left lane this guy was taking serious chances and forced me to slam my breaks really hard but honestly for the chance he was taking and not even giving enough care to shoulder check before taking such a daring move I would not have felt bad had I have hit him. Back in my day when I relied on my bike for transportation I would have stopped at the light and waited for a safe time to cross not cut accords traffic and put my life on the line. And just because they have to ride on the road dose not mean they have to ride on the busiest roads around, in my day I always took side roads, service roads, neighborhoods and back lanes sticking to the roads less traveled.
Butch3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophia View Post
Because it is perfectly legal in most areas?
it's actually illegal to ride on sidewalk, apparently BBC - Newsbeat - Nicole Kidman hit by cyclist at New York fashion week
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat