mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Annoying bicyclists

When did it become so socially acceptable for people to ride their bikes on paved roads, instead of on the shoulder? I ask this because it has really gotten to annoy me this summer.

Every year it seems we see a large amount of serious bicyclist's go through town but they use the main road. They slow down and/or even stop traffic when there is a paved bike trail no more then 10 feet from the road. None of them use it. When I was younger we always road our bikes on the side of the road.

Even going on facebook I have several friends whom I went to high school with and all you hear about from them is how they were hit by another car while they were swerving in and out of traffic on a paved road riding their bikes in Chicago. They always end up blaming the driver of the vehicle that hit them. I just don't get it when did it become socially acceptable to ride your bike on the road.
Steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
MCB Baghead

Because it is perfectly legal in most areas?
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hmmm let's see.

Paved roads are for vehicles. Bikes are vehicles.

Paved roads are built with tax money. Bicyclists pay taxes.

Paved roads are open to all legal users. Riding a bike on a paved road is legal.

Yeah, you're right. Who do those *******s think they are?
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oooh sure make me feel like the bad guy here guys lol Just trying to stir up a healthy debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilMayCare View Post
...Bikes are vehicles.
Not according to Michigan state law:

“Vehicle” means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices exclusively moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks and except, only for the purpose of titling and registration under this act, a mobile home as defined in section 2 of the mobile home commission act, Act No. 96 of the Public Acts of 1987, being section 125.2302 of the Michigan Compiled Laws."

Last edited by Steve_81; 10-02-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
MCB Member

Yeah, I just about decorated the side of a RAV on the way to work, when she pulled out from a side road. And got I abused for it.... A guy actually got hit right outside my work on Saturday. I made the emergency call. And another cyclist got hit earlier in the week just down the road from work.
All driver faults. Not going to find much sympathy here.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

As long as they make themselves visible I don't care if they ride with traffic. I've been flipped off plenty of times by bikes at 5am and they are not wearing anything reflective. Those guys are just asking for it.
No Have MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_81 View Post
Oooh sure make me feel like the bad guy here guys lol Just trying to stir up a healthy debate.

There's no debate to be had. They're absolutely allowed on roads, and can even ride down the middle of a lane if they want. Lots of citys have even made riding on the sidewalk illegal, and it comes with quite a hefty ticket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_81 View Post

“Vehicle” means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices exclusively moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks and except, only for the purpose of titling and registration under this act, a mobile home as defined in section 2 of the mobile home commission act, Act No. 96 of the Public Acts of 1987, being section 125.2302 of the Michigan Compiled Laws."

These are rules for highways, which are different. They have minimum speed limits and are made for high speed travel. Most of them have signs stating that human powered vehicles, or scooters, or slow moving vehicles are not allowed to be on them.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

martix nailed it...no debate to be had here. not to say all cyclists are saints; you see everyone (cyclists and drivers) do very dumb things. the fact is, you have to share the road, and do so safely. don't blare your horn when your five feet away, don't throw things at them, don't flip them off, don't pass by them with inches to spare, don't cut them off.

as all cyclists should ride safely and in a predicable manner. ride in as straight a line as possible, signal before turning, don't pull out blindly into traffic, wear a helmet, use lighting gear if you ride in the dark, don't ride two abreast on narrow roads, don't ride in such a huge group that it's impossible for cars to pass.

share the road.
Cyco-Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Trails Of Doom

I used to ride a ton on the roads. And it just got to the point where it was too dangerous, so I sold my bike, and ride off road rarely now...

I was riding on a back country road when I saw a van coming behind me. I was riding ON the line on the edge of the road (if you go past that, you are likely to get flats, from all the garbage on the sides of roads today) and I watched as she first started to go out around me...

Then changed her mind and pulled AS close as she could to me...

Bummer for me, she had those mirrors that stick out really far, and only my reflexes saved my head from being tagged by her mirror... at 45 mph when I was doing less than 20...

This was a totally FLAT 2 lane road with NO other vehicles, and she proceeded to flip me off after she passed by.

So yeah, there is definitely a group of drivers that feel bikes shouldn't be allowed on the road, and it is there job to get them off it...
FreeEnterprise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

It's the law to ride in the street...

In fact, it's illegal to ride elsewhere.

At least here in CT.
Riot is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat