mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Guns and shows

Having considered the discussion in The Walking Dead thread I have decided to note how often we see odd things with guns in shows.

Agents of SHIELD. A cowboy pulls a side by side shotgun on Coulson. They even show him locking the breech. Grant disarms him and off screen you hear a pump action shotgun as he draws the side by side down on him. Really? A pump? Where?
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

how many times have you seen a character point a gun at someone to ask questions, and then when the target shows resistance, the gunner cocks the hammer? was the gun harmless before that point? does hollywood think guns have a stun mode and a kill mode and that was the lever for it?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

On Sleepy Hollow recently (when the sisters are pointing guns at each other) the police officer cocks the hammer on the Glock.
"Do not overcome by the evil, but overcome, in the good, the evil" - Romans 12:21 - Young's Literal Translation

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
that escalated quickly

I get annoyed sometimes watching a TV show or movie, when you hear a gunshot from a small caliber pistol (like a 9mm) and it sounds like it a came out of much larger caliber handgun (like a .50 Desert Eagle or something).

"The Miss Universe pageant is fixed. All the winners are from Earth." [Woody Paige]

MCB Feedback
magnificent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official LL5 Dolphin-Dive

Send a message via AIM to PistolRogue

I try not to let it bother me since its SO common in entertainment. The sad thing is I'm sure most of these shows have some sort of technical consultant for this very type of thing but they probably get overridden by the director because the wrong way looks or sounds cooler.
FEEDBACK
PistolRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
foley artists are not the best at accuracy

look at car engine sounds, and all the squeeling tires, etc. . . .
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Post Whore

Very few "guns" in hollywood are even shooting blanks.

Blank-firing prop guns are considered very dangerous, and as such command a very high liability insurance from the studio.

So 99% of the time, you are seeing either a dummy gun with a computer generated "flash", or a dummy gun with a "propane" flash.

The F/X version generate no sound at all, so the studio get to add whatever they want in post..... and yes, they add in whatever is the "coolest" sound. The propane versions make the wrong sound, and is typically dubbed in post as well.

It all used to bother me when I was younger. Not as much as when movies use paintguns as "futuristic firearms". lol

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Having considered the discussion in The Walking Dead thread I have decided to note how often we see odd things with guns in shows.

Agents of SHIELD. A cowboy pulls a side by side shotgun on Coulson. They even show him locking the breech. Grant disarms him and off screen you hear a pump action shotgun as he draws the side by side down on him. Really? A pump? Where?
That was the first thing I thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
how many times have you seen a character point a gun at someone to ask questions, and then when the target shows resistance, the gunner cocks the hammer? was the gun harmless before that point? does hollywood think guns have a stun mode and a kill mode and that was the lever for it?
^^^This

Have you guys ever noticed how loud people's guns are when they are just HOLDING them? Point it that way and it creaks, hold the grip and it rattles etc.

Then there's the whole thing about having near unlimited rounds of ammunition in a magazine, clip, or tube.. Hershel from The Walking Dead comes to mind..

Last edited by CCM Photographer; 10-14-2013 at 06:46 PM.
CCM Photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

i almost forgot why i never watched this movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGZQi3ODB-U
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
On Sleepy Hollow recently (when the sisters are pointing guns at each other) the police officer cocks the hammer on the Glock.
the unrealistic treatment that guns get in this show about a headless horseman who is a harbinger of the apocalypse in a world where a witch put a spell on her BF to make him sleep 200 years really bothers me.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat