mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Om Nom Nom

Unhappy I need career help

Hi folks,
lately I've been struggling finding my way in life and I don't want to be stuck with a job I hate my whole life.

So here's my background:
I'm a mechanical technician, I graduate "college" and during my studies I had 2 jobs in my field of study. The first one I got made me dislike this job so during my last year of "college" I was heading toward a new field of study: Biology.
Yes it was a drastic change, I didn't last long in there at university. Then again, I felt like I wasn't complete so I went to an engineering university. I had a hard time and no interest in classes so I dropped out. Building stuff and house related work was growing on me so I went to Carpentry school. I liked every classes and made some good friends over there. School was almost over, I was heading toward becoming a carpenter. A friend of mine offered me a job at a local brewing company as a mechanical technician. At first I declined the offer, but it was such an ideal job: steady 40h/week all year long, very well paid, 3 days a week & overtime as much as you want. So I changed my mind again and went for it but I didn't get the job.

Now, I feel lost because carpentry:
-isn't steady work, during winter there isn't much work and during summer it's crazy.
-dangerous and hard physically (I'm a skinny 6'-2" guy).
-major salary draw back and will take 4-6 years to achieve full salary.
-lots of employers try to screw you and not declare all your hours worked.

On the other hand with mechanic:
-I don't feel passionate about it, sometimes I think I've done this simply because I was relating it to paintball.
-I have this feeling I will get bored quickly doing this.
-the main reason why I wanted to work at the brewery is working 3 days a week, I would have had enough free time to work on those businesses it'd like to have one day.

Please help me out, share your thoughts and how you managed to find your way in life.
Thanks all!
*Self_DeFenCe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

There's nothing set in stone saying you MUST stay a mechanic forever if you go for that and find a job.
You can always keep searching for some type of steady carpentry work that might show up. Or do it during your off time.

Sometimes really cake jobs crop up for carpenters- ie if they work for a big place, like a University or some other year round maintenance contractor type gig. Otherwise, yeah, you better hope you bust your butt enough during the summer months that you make enough to cover your winters. Or have enough lined up to do, or another fallback. Another thought would be to relocate to a place with a climate for carpentry year round.

If you like carpentry so much, you ought to join the union (does it work like that in Canada?) at very least so you can get on the books.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Frozen Chosen

Send a message via Yahoo to Grolli

Well...

You seem to have a good background in general maintenance. How about working maintenance at a University, and taking classes at a reduced rate at the same time? This would allow you to not only make money, but pursue what you like at the same time.

The most terrifying words in the English language are:
I'm from the government and I'm here to help. - Ronald Reagan
Grolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
MCB Member

I wanted to be a lawyer when I was in high school, switched to a business major with the intent to be an accountant. Changed to Business administration after my Freshman year, then Political Science, followed by Anthropology and ended up with a degree in Criminal Justice with the plan to become a Police Officer. I got a job as a salesperson in the electronics industry shortly after graduation and have been doing this for 20+ years. I would love to do something else, but I'm 45, divorced with 3 kids to support.

My point is, you're young. Try something and see if you like it. As long as you are single with no kids or wife to have to support, the world is your oyster. Find what you like to do and pursue it, because once you get married, have kids, cars, houses and all the other responsibilities that go along with it, you will have a difficult time making that change.
OPBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Featuring Death

CCM Fan
What about studying to be an Architectural Technician/Technologist. It's hands on, has a fair amount of technical skills and challenges you with new problems. That is, if you're up to going to school. Or maybe look into the military as a vehicle/weapons/material tech.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Shaiq-N-Baiq

Well...With your mechanical and carpentry skills. Build Paintball guns and sell em! Work at the Brewery of course but that off time can be spent doing something you do like!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

What about being an electrician? With mechanics, carpentry, and also electrician, you could be a contractor, working on houses. A lot of those home improvement shows run out of Canada, get on board with those. Like OPBN said, soon as you get a wife and kids, you are more restricted. There are so many paths I would like to have taken, but was too hesitant. I have it good now, but I could have gone down many paths, and done so many things.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Not sure what advice to give other than the majority of people go to work everyday and dont 'love it'. but the reality is everyone needs a paycheck, so..... such is life.
Skipdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

I love my job and I hope you find something you do too. Have you checked into oil field jobs? They pay well and with all of your general knowledge you should find something you like.

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.
Tugboater203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPBN View Post

My point is, you're young. Try something and see if you like it. As long as you are single with no kids or wife to have to support, the world is your oyster. Find what you like to do and pursue it, because once you get married, have kids, cars, houses and all the other responsibilities that go along with it, you will have a difficult time making that change.
This. Everyone needs a paycheck, but doing what you like, will make you a very happy person. I was into machining in HS, and went off to college to get a Eng degree.
Then life happened, GF pregnant, marriage, kids, divorce, support. Im very happy to have had my machining background to support us.Is it what I really wanted to do? Not really, but I have found that I actually enjoy it. And it provides better than a lot of the jobs in my area.

It sounds like you have found what you like, and just as important what you don't. Now its up to you to find the type of job that will let you support yourself and grow.

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
psunitro is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat