mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-12-2006, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rikgao Send a message via MSN to rikgao

Customs declaration. Any boarder experts?

Welp, I recently bought a cyborg off the wonderful intraweb and waiting for it to arrive. As a canadian, shipping paintball guns to canada from the states isn't the easiest of things, especially through entering our borders, so many percautions should be taken. One of them which I've learned from many experienced buyers states that you should put "used sporting goods" as the description, nothing with "gun" or even "paintball" in it. Well, the guy who sold me my cyborg did exactly what i asked, but the old lady at the post office said it wasnt detailed enough. So installed of stalling,(and making it look like a possible act of terrorism ) he quickly told the lady that they were pants. Yes, Pants.

So my question is, will false declaration of the package get it seized? The cyborg was shipped by some kind of priority airmail by USPS that takes 3-5 days, so security could be tight. He also said he shipped it with some lube (dow33 or 55, which i doubt meets the recent criteria of flammable liquids as that stuff is made to withstand high and low temperatures and wont burn)

So any experts on how the boader system works? will they X-ray my package and find out that my pants are actually a wierd looking hose attachment with some 14" rod?

Pwease MCB, i am loosing sleep over this

tl;dr : My paintball gun was declared as pants when they shipped it through airmail. Will/if they find out, will they seize it? and loose it forever?

Thanks.
rikgao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ghost with the most

Send a message via AIM to Phantom Power Send a message via MSN to Phantom Power

It may get held up and opened, but you'll probably end up getting it eventually. Be prepared to wait about 2 or 3 weeks if they feel particularly nosey.
Phantom Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well rule #1 don't file a false contents list! If they run this thru an x-ray and are looking for pants and see something that looks somewhat like a firearm..... it might take some time for it to get to you.
When I have to ship markers to Canada I always:
a) list it as ______ paintball marker or paintball marker
b) mark the form as a gift
c) ship via USPO express air/ or global express<iirc> it gets there in about a week and isn't very expensive.
In over 10 years I have never had any problems or major delays.

My FS Listing
Misc bits-

My feed back:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1021

Carter's Commando Texas Division:
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/c...-division.html
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Blue - Red

CCM Fan
I have listed my paintball markers as "Marker". This is specific enough that if a person were to open the box they could see that I was not lying but vaugue enough not to say "GUN".

TF

TF's MCB Trust.
Talfuchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
Well rule #1 don't file a false contents list! If they run this thru an x-ray and are looking for pants and see something that looks somewhat like a firearm..... it might take some time for it to get to you.
When I have to ship markers to Canada I always:
a) list it as ______ paintball marker or paintball marker
b) mark the form as a gift
c) ship via USPO express air/ or global express<iirc> it gets there in about a week and isn't very expensive.
In over 10 years I have never had any problems or major delays.
this is exactly what is to be done. i have never had any of my markers held at customs. just be honest and follow the rules and you will have no problems. also make sure if you are shipping tanks that they are empty. and dont ship any loose paintballs. i dont know why people do this, i guess to be nice so you have some paint to try out the marker when you get it. Unfourtunatly they almost always get confiscated. also make sure that packaging is good since its travelling further and canada post beats the crap out of parcels for some reason.

i appreciate all US seller who ship to canada.
Canadian Contingent Member
abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
CHEERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talfuchre
I have listed my paintball markers as "Marker". This is specific enough that if a person were to open the box they could see that I was not lying but vaugue enough not to say "GUN".
Good idea.
I've heard people say to list "sporting goods" for their paintball equipment to avoid listing "gun."
Old 08-12-2006, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to rikgao Send a message via MSN to rikgao

Thanks for all the help guys, I was told to ask the selling to put just "sporting goods" since i was told even "paintball" would get some suspicion. I'll try to declare it truthfully next time, but just out of curiosity, do they charge you with customs and duty fees for this even if you marked it as a gift?

thanks.
rikgao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Post Whore

Listing the item as a marker is the smart thing to do.
marking said item as a gift only gets you out of customs taxes.
falsifying the customs forms can get it confiscated. My wifes cousin works for customs in NYC and it the paperwork is not exact, they have the right to hold up and or confiscate the shippment.
Not saying this will happen, but as worst case scenario, it could
I shipped a 50 amp GFI breaker to Canada, I marked it electrical supplies and exactly what was in the package. A month later I get an email where's the package.
My response to this was, plastic and metal square with a curley wire coming out of it...... It's held up in customs.
Be patient and it will show up.
Full disclosure and be patient is the best way to do any business

Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES.. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS
mrwisker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
King of the OFG

Send a message via MSN to Robertsr

Kilt Fan
I've had excellent luck with "used pneumatic equipment". It's 100% accurate and truthful, but it avoids sounding suspicious.

FEEDBACK
Robertsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
AKA Doughnut Holeschtein

I used "machined aluminum parts" and marked as a gift ...
OldGadget is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat