mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Is Rodger Svec still the teacher? I don't know if Blodgett knows anything Rodger doesn't.

edit: seeing you are with the Air Force you must be going to Tech so Roger won't be there for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html

Last edited by big jim; 01-12-2014 at 04:47 PM.
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Money Spending Enthusiast

Keep in mind all the sunscreen and cover exposed skin is mainly for arc welding. Oxy-Acet ain't such a big deal for those things, although when learning oxy-acet you tend to get a lot of pops that spray.

On the topic of gloves: Tig gloves are great for everything but stick welding.
On the topic of helmets: Get a good pair, auto darkening all that jazz. Don't skimp out, arc flashes are serious business. When dealing with Oxy-Acet, my preference was for the least tinted goggles. Oxy-Acet and Arc welding are very different beasts for protection don't mix them up!
Keys_JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
I lika doa the cha cha

if you can get leathers that will help to. I used to always wear some sort of leather. leather doesn't burn much and blocks the arc pretty well. Beware arc flash, auto darkening masks will help with that. With the old masks I always used to blind myself because I would start the arc before I could get my mask down all the way. Feels like someone threw sand in your face and you can't get it out of your eyes.
blitz121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
GMO Population control

I'm not really sure what type of welding you are talking about, but consider this: Auto darkening hoods are a good learning tool, but ditch it as soon as you get the hang of it. I have been welding for over 20 years and find it difficult to see in the dark now. I currently weld with a shade 13 lens. It's difficult to see where you are going at times, but in the long run a darker lens will pay off. The auto dark shields will indeed give you arc flash no matter what they are set to.
I'll re-iterate, clean your base metal and don't be afraid to chamfer your pieces, so you get good penetration.
Enjoy, there is a lot to learn, but once you can weld, sky is the limit of what you can put together.
Emotional pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBull View Post
i think the phantom needle is in my arm for good now..
Feedback
RatFink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Conker

Thank you very much everyone. The college supplies everything and "unlimited" material for us to use on hand. But they do Emphasize us getting our own gear to learn our welding style and get used to it while we are learning. oxy acetylene is first for us. I feel a lot older in my class since i got out of the military and NOW going to college instead of going strait out of high school. Funny thing is my old shop teacher from high school is now the welding full time teacher at the college So bare minimums for now are safety glasses, channel locks, and welding gloves. buying my first mask tonight, going for a auto tinting one for now. I am really excited to work with metal all day(I love metal in all forms) Used to make knives from a home made soup can forge i made growing up. good times...
Old 01-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
acetelene in a baloon makes a VERY loud pop when you burn it.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Money Spending Enthusiast

Oh, I just remembered something. I wear my safety glasses under my helmet. They are UV resistant, probably really really helped me when I got arc flashed (somebody firing up the mig before they were supposed to).
Keys_JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
I lika doa the cha cha

I always wear my safety glasses under my hood, never know when a piece of random slag with fly in there. We usually were taught to use the words "Cover!" before striking anything other than torch.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:38 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Conker

Ended up going for this Save Phace Black Ice Gen Y Series Welding Helmet - FREE SHIPPING - Welding Supplies from IOC
Old 01-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
I lika doa the cha cha

Odd, I didn't realize that save phace made welding helmets.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat