mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Turbografx 16 Addict

Send a message via AIM to Steven_Spinosa

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Question re: shipping to Canada

Howdy. I'm shipping a sword to Southern BC.
The buyer asked me to ship USPS Economy International.
I'm nervous because the last Canada shipping event got ugly, though it was not by this method. I have a few questions:

How do I ask for Economy International?
Will they ask or care if the item is a sword?
Do I have to declare it as a sword, or just tell them if its fragile or not?

My overarching goal is this:
I want to know exact the phrasing and paperwork rigamarole to do this right and make sure that I only have to ship this out once, and it comes in under $75 to ship. I really don't want to get hosed by fees that could be waived by aforementioned rigamarole and verbal dancing.

Thanks for your view.
Steven_Spinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Post Whore

Swords are legal in Canada, and the only issue I've ever heard of regarding them on import to Canada is dealing with duty. There may be additional taxes depending on where the sword was produced, so be sure your documents are properly filled out with the correct info.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wookie D*ck

Cover your *** and insure and track the package, but yes - make sure you use USPS ground shipping. Any customs declarations should be honest.
russc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Doesn't care (/◕ヮ◕)/

CCM Fan
AKA Fan
Good luck keeping it under 75. A small box less than 12 inches in the longest length and slighty above 5 pounds was 40bucks and some change.

I don't always play pump, but when I do, I prefer a rotor.....stay agg my friends.
JLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Turbografx 16 Addict

Send a message via AIM to Steven_Spinosa

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Well, there goes my attempt at reclaiming funds. Er, maybe not. It's a large box but it still comes in under 8lbs. I'll keep you all posted as this might interest those of us who like to trade in the long sharp things.
Steven_Spinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tinkerer

They talk about this a bit over at the Sword Buyers Guide and seem to think that shipping is typically around $26.

UPS is pretty much universally loathed when it comes to shipping from the US into Canada. They gouge for "brokerage fees" more than any other company I'm aware of.

Either way, the discussion in that forum has some cool insights into carrying blades in Canada.

feedback
ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mar
All nail Drum!

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Now is a bad time of year to ship to BC. The Western Chinook winds drive the polar bears from their caves, and the routes are perilous. Canada POst loses more dog teams in January/February than the rest of the year combined (IN BC at least) OUr tight gun laws prohibit the postmen from carrying loaded guns - sure they have a gun, but usually the closest bullet authorized supervisor is leagues away. I would hold off shipping until the Spring thaw, when the polar bears head further up north for mating.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Phantom Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
Now is a bad time of year to ship to BC. The Western Chinook winds drive the polar bears from their caves, and the routes are perilous. Canada POst loses more dog teams in January/February than the rest of the year combined (IN BC at least) OUr tight gun laws prohibit the postmen from carrying loaded guns - sure they have a gun, but usually the closest bullet authorized supervisor is leagues away. I would hold off shipping until the Spring thaw, when the polar bears head further up north for mating.
I would have thought Canada Post would have brought on the polar bears as seasonal workers.
Feedback
BoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Big guy in a wig

Fan of EMR
CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
............and now I have a new sig.
Feedback
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Uticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBo View Post
I would have thought Canada Post would have brought on the polar bears as seasonal workers.
Have you ever tried working with a Polar Bear? Everything goes fine till they decide its break time, and they want a snack with their coffee.....
Uticus is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat