mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listessa View Post
What's wrong with candles when done correctly? No batteries to die, keep a good supply and you are fine. Or even a lantern is nice.
And why don't your fire alarms have batteries that are up to date? Or fire suppression system if it is in an apartment building?
that they are less bright, wastes oxygen when it was the dead of winter and too cold to open any windows, that the guy puts it in the living room table which was cluttered with his other **** because he has set it up as his permanent table for some strange reason, and that if he does have to carry it around, it would be an unecessary risk of fire if he trips because it was dark in the first place thanks to the blackout and because fire alarms tell you there's already a fire and doesn't actually prevent any fires from starting so that's 1 more thing for you to do regardless. keep a good supplies of batteries and you'd be fine too. also, dynamo flashlight.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

But if it is like the show Revolution, then flashlights won't work anymore....

Seriously though, when the power is out at my house, first thing is to use phone as flashlight to find real flashlight. Next step is to use flashlight to find a lighter, and light candles all over house. Then, light oil lamp in kitchen. When done properly, candles have minimal risk of fire damage, and have a longer burn time than flashlights. They are also environmentally friendly.

During the apocalypse, I would rather have candles than flashlights, as fire is more important than light.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post

Seriously though, when the power is out at my house, first thing is to use phone as flashlight to find real flashlight. Next step is to use flashlight to find a lighter, and light candles all over house. Then, light oil lamp in kitchen. When done properly, candles have minimal risk of fire damage, and have a longer burn time than flashlights. They are also environmentally friendly.

During the apocalypse, I would rather have candles than flashlights, as fire is more important than light.
it's a black out, not an expedition. the stove works fine.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellicose View Post

From my understanding even a localized EMP would result in basically all the electronics being out. The majority of my emergency gear is non-electronic. I have candles and several cords of firewood.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful" Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
it's a black out, not an expedition. the stove works fine.
Unless, of course, it's electric.

I find your fear of candles both amusing and sad. Tell me, do you still use safety scissors?
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
Unless, of course, it's electric.

I find your fear of candles both amusing and sad. Tell me, do you still use safety scissors?
if you don't use safety scissors, consequences will never be the same

i see no reason to favor fire in an urban environment when there are alternatives. the risks far outweigh the advantages. candles are my backup's backup. why would you already own candles but not flashlights in the 21st century?

Last edited by heinous; 03-20-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
if you don't use safety scissors, consequences will never be the same

i see no reason to favor fire in an urban environment when there are alternatives. the risks far outweigh the advantages. candles are my backup's backup. why would you already own candles but not flashlights in the 21st century?
I think you are being overly cautious and silly. Flashlights came into being around 1899 if wikipedia can be believed. The human race survived up until that point using fire. To each his own though I suppose. I am just dumbfounded how people become paranoid over things that were status quo 1 or 2 generations ago.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
I think you are being overly cautious and silly. Flashlights came into being around 1899 if wikipedia can be believed. The human race survived up until that point using fire. To each his own though I suppose. I am just dumbfounded how people become paranoid over things that were status quo 1 or 2 generations ago.
because there are reasons why it was immediately no longer the status quo as soon as something better came along
Old 03-20-2014, 11:44 PM   #29 (permalink)
Lost the Daylight

Send a message via ICQ to Listessa Send a message via AIM to Listessa Send a message via MSN to Listessa Send a message via Yahoo to Listessa

Well, if it is a long blackout candles do last longer than flashlights. They go through batteries pretty fast.

Scissors can be dangerous. I've snipped through skin before when trying to get thread. Needles are worse. I've stitched projects to my hand before. Those Glover's needles are the worst.

Facilis est Descensus Averni.
<--Click to descend to my feedback.
NO'MAAM #2"National Organization Members Against AGG Metrosexuals" Rouge Cell #3
Listessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:37 AM   #30 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
because there are reasons why it was immediately no longer the status quo as soon as something better came along
I hardly think it was the case that it was IMMEDIATELY no longer the status quo. I can't believe 1899 came along everyone suddenly went out and purchased flashlights. I would bet most households were still stocking and lighting with some source of flame. Actually, I believe I have some candles still here in the house. Oh, and I think you can still get them even though they're, you know, such a fire hazard. In fact, I think I have even eaten at a restaurant or two that had candles on the tables, or even little oil lamps! Maybe next time I should offer the manager a couple of flashlights? Or should I just call the Fire Dept.?

Anyway, perhaps we digress too far from the topic of the thread.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat