mcarterbrown.com

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
Born Again n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Jerry View Post
Since the Vikings of this time did not do much for writing history there is much to be debated. But the show is one of those fictionally historic shows Just enough historical information to make a show....like the names
Totally agree .. A lot of our info comes from the sagas and Saxon writings written much later
Old 04-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCB Member

And even if it was all entirely fictional...still a great show. Some of the people on that show are simply massive though...not just in bulk but height as well
Brother Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyrally View Post
I love Floki

"can you keep a secret?"

"Hehehe, NO"

I laughed my *** off at that part

Great show, LOVE IT!

RAGNAR and FLOKI FTW
Arson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
MCB Member

No doubt....I just wonder though if Floki and Aethelsan (sp) will end up being best of friends or something....
Old 04-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
MCB Member

I really like the show. They have taken some effort for historical details, as can be seen with the Viking haircuts. I do have one complaint- the lack of attention to weapons. They are shown and used, but the Viking culture considered weapons to have spiritual qualities, considering them alive and giving them names.
There is an excellent book on this subject "The Archaeology of Weapons" by Ewart Oakeshott. It concentrates on the development and use of the Viking sword. The craftsmanship of the swords was a major contributor to the success of the Vikings and I wish the show would reflect this fact.
BretG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
Post Whore

Picked up the first season the other day and I've been really enjoying it for the most part. I do have to force myself to ignore some really idiotic things that every director seems to pull, such as including random masses of candles, because everyone in ancient times left mountains of candles burning everywhere, especially when no one was in those rooms, or even in those houses.

Oh, and everything is dirty. Because ancient people were obviously dirty, and their homes cluttered...

All in all, it is a good work of pure fiction written by someone who glanced at history.
Luckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #27 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretG View Post
I really like the show. They have taken some effort for historical details, as can be seen with the Viking haircuts. I do have one complaint- the lack of attention to weapons. They are shown and used, but the Viking culture considered weapons to have spiritual qualities, considering them alive and giving them names.
There is an excellent book on this subject "The Archaeology of Weapons" by Ewart Oakeshott. It concentrates on the development and use of the Viking sword. The craftsmanship of the swords was a major contributor to the success of the Vikings and I wish the show would reflect this fact.
I am waiting for a Ulfberht to make an appearance, it is close enough to that time period, it could be a gift to Ragnar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckless View Post
Oh, and everything is dirty. Because ancient people were obviously dirty, and their homes cluttered...
The Norse were actually cleaner than the rest of Europe. They bathed and washed on a regular basis.

It is interesteing how they are developing the characters of Ragnar and Rolo. I loved Ragnar, hated Rolo, in the beginning, but that has flipped. I hate the viking king with a passion, ever since first seeing him. I am on the fence with Floki...he is the only main character that is honest with himself, tells it like it is. I had about 6min left of the last episode...then the kids woke up so I haven't been able to finish it.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #28 (permalink)
MCB Member

Thats the best part, you need to watch it now...
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
MCB Member

Actually with their weapons they are not too far off. I agree though that they could do better. but what you have to remember..Ragnar is a farmer. His community is a farming community. Farmers high end weapons for the Scandinavians was an axe and we can see that they are all very very adept at axe wielding.

One thing I do like is that they did pay attention to the Roman influences as well. Things like the shield wall.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Thats the best part, you need to watch it now...
Finally did it last night, when the wee ones went to bed, and it was just me and the baby. Sweet Justice. Now only if they beat the king too, I will be super happy. Loved what Lagertha did. She is awesome.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat