mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

AKA Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnigan View Post
I understand "wireless transmission," butI'm not sure how they will provide it "free." Someone still has to generate the power. That costs money.
It's not that the electricity would be free to produce. The problem, as I understand it, is that it would be impossible to meter who used how much and charge them accordingly.

Read up on Tesla and you should quickly see why this is a political issue.

And I think I'm close enough to the line as I want to get. Continue at your own peril.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
Aside from the obvious problems from blocking out the sun if we collected everything the sun gave us for power, collecting the power isn't a problem. .
Talks of solar power always end up with nuclear power.

There is a mountain of problems with solar energy. But lots of countries are dumping lots of money into the problem. I think they all see oil running out in 20-30 years, and there is a sense of panic.

The number always floating around is you would need 200,000 square miles to make all the energy we need. This assumes 100% effecieny, but generic solar panels are %10. Plus, transmission/storage issues might relate to another loss resulting in %1 usable energy coming out.

This might require as much as 20,000,000 square miles. So then people say, well, the Sahara desert is 20,000,000 square miles, and nobody lives there. Then they look at the cost, resources, and space needed......

and then people start looking at other options. Hydro and wind look great, but simply could never make enough energy to power everyone. But there is something that could- Nuclear energy. Its "green", and enough fuel to last a million years.

In which any talk of nuclear energy usually kills the debate in the first place.

"the evidence strongly suggests that neither Billy nor Adam (Smart Parts) could have invented the electronic paintgun" -Garr M. King, U.S. Judge
HP_Lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
random probability waves

Brass N Wood Fan
BP says we have 53.3 years of oil left - Autoblog
TANSTAAFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
here's your chance to be cool like Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpy
don is on the path to everlasting coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes
OMG boobs, beers and Chad Thompson. Nothing could be better.
Bored383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored383 View Post
I thought they were all giddy from all the reserves they underestimated recently and that we have 100 years left. Oh well.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post

There is a mountain of problems with solar energy. But lots of countries are dumping lots of money into the problem. I think they all see oil running out in 20-30 years, and there is a sense of panic.

The number always floating around is you would need 200,000 square miles to make all the energy we need. This assumes 100% effecieny, but generic solar panels are %10. Plus, transmission/storage issues might relate to another loss resulting in %1 usable energy coming out.

This might require as much as 20,000,000 square miles. So then people say, well, the Sahara desert is 20,000,000 square miles, and nobody lives there. Then they look at the cost, resources, and space needed......

and then people start looking at other options. Hydro and wind look great, but simply could never make enough energy to power everyone. But there is something that could- Nuclear energy. Its "green", and enough fuel to last a million years.

In which any talk of nuclear energy usually kills the debate in the first place.
"green?" we are 50+ years behind schedule on inventing a method to safely clean the contaminants. we have 50+ years of stockpiled irradiated waste.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP_Lovecraft View Post

I don't understand why people are okay with nuclear energy.

You're right, solar technology isn't that efficient, but when combined with wind and hydro you can at least cut down on the amount of dirty electricity that we're using. Even if we halved it the environment would be much better off.

Not to change the topic too much, but I hate when people argue that electric cars are just as bad for the environment because the electricity we use comes from coal and nuclear power plants. If we had a proper commitment to solar, wind and hydro electric power that wouldn't be the case.

Tesla Motors has already proved to the world that an electric car that can be used as a daily driver is doable. It's about time the rest of the world caught up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
Finding a good paintball game outside your area is like trying to figure out which neighborhood is the best for buying drugs.
Current Markers:
The Modern Pirate - Convertible Feed Sheridan

MCB Feedback
Tdot Feedback
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Those Pump Guyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRBAKK View Post
I don't understand why people are okay with nuclear energy.

You're right, solar technology isn't that efficient, but when combined with wind and hydro you can at least cut down on the amount of dirty electricity that we're using. Even if we halved it the environment would be much better off.
Please look up the amount of power generated by solar + wind + thermal. Then look up how much power we, the planet, use. It's drops in a bucket man, even halving the the amount generated from "dirty" fuels is a dream.

I don't get why people get so hung up on nuclear waste material. There seems to be this perception that it generates absurd amounts of waste. That is simply not true. The efficiency of nuclear power means it generates something like 8000 times more energy per gram of material than fossil fuels generate.

The problem with solar is it does not generate enough power for the land it needs. Look up Ivanpah, pretty much the best solar plant, if you don't believe me.

And on the original topic, sounds awesome, I hope they can get the funding.

Last edited by ryn_droma; 07-03-2014 at 10:42 PM.
ryn_droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryn_droma View Post
I don't get why people get so hung up on nuclear waste material. There seems to be this perception that it generates absurd amounts of waste. That is simply not true. The efficiency of nuclear power means it generates something like 8000 times more energy per gram of material than fossil fuels generate.
except nuclear waste doesn't go away. we humanly have no technology to decompose it. nuclear power was originally rolled out with the expectation of coming up with a way to decompose the waste in the "near future" that has passed us by half a century. 220,000 years worth of half life is longer than recorded human history. how many generations of future cleaning efforts are we exactly loaning?

moreover, solar power is not as inefficient as people in this thread make it out to be. germany just produced 50% of their electricity from solar power. not africa. not mexico. germany. there aren't even any large deserts there.

Last edited by heinous; 07-03-2014 at 10:45 PM.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
except nuclear waste doesn't go away. we humanly have no technology to decompose it. nuclear power was originally rolled out with the expectation of coming up with a way to decompose the waste in the "near future" that has passed us by half a century. 220,000 years worth of half life is longer than recorded human history. how many generations of future cleaning efforts are we exactly loaning?
there's always the option to send it into space, but what if it doesn't make it there? Nuclear energy is great, but without a proper way to dispose of it, it's a huge hazard.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
MCB Member

This device was essentially a microwave. Tesla built a small version and heated up leftover Chinese food with it.
Somebody better them Russians, the microwave has already been invented.

The transmission part, well that's radar, and we've been tracking those commie bombers for several years with one of those gizmos.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat