mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

AKA Fan
I will say that Thorium-based nuclear power is an interesting option at least for a bridge till we can produce cheap, abundant, green energy. As well as Natural Gas, which is very abundant and much cleaner than oil or coal.

Wind is interesting. I live practically in the middle of a wind farm. The company that built one of the local wind farms has recently closed their doors and moved there operations to the southwest. Their reasoning was that since the subsidies ran out continued growth wasn't profitable. So I take that to mean that the current investment vs return doesn't work out yet. If you ask practically anyone who lives in this area what they think of the wind farms their first response will be what an eyesore they are. I'm not saying that's a valid excuse to not pursue the technology but be aware you'll still have the NIMBY problem. We're getting there keep trying.

Solar may be better but you're trading one type of pollution for another. Again it may be a better option than so called fossil fuels but we're still dealing with the eventual disposal of toxic chemicals. And I really don't trust foreign manufacturers to have the planets best interests in mind when working with toxic chemicals. Call me a cynic.

Tesla motors is on to something great. I think we'll eventually see full electric vehicles become the primary mode of transportation eventually. But until we get away from "dirty" power it really doesn't fix the problem. Keep working toward clean energy, there's a demand for it and the market will bear that out eventually. Until that time though we need to find an alternative energy source to bridge the gap. Thorium, Natural Gas, Clean Coal, whatever. If someone can make it work lets do it. What we don't need to do is rule something out due to preconceived notions of sources of energy. Let companies research, find out what works, and give us options.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Millar156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Speaking of cars, have you seent he new electric engine design that toyota has released?
No crankshaft, no problem: Toyota's free piston engine is brilliant - Road & Track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUbBqSu9Hdc
Old 07-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
MCB Member

"Polarizing" THAT was funny! I watched a documentary where some U.S. folks were trying to do this, but also had a funding issue. One of them demonstrated the coil by merely holding a fluorescent light bulb in the vicinity of the coil (like 15 feet or so), and it was lit, with nothing hooked up to it. It's not that the science was never proven, his competition just convinced the world that theirs was less scary, and Tesla's could be used for more nefarious purposes. Of course, they didn't mention that theirs was no different......

My feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
b-cuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-cuzz View Post
"Polarizing" THAT was funny! I watched a documentary where some U.S. folks were trying to do this, but also had a funding issue. One of them demonstrated the coil by merely holding a fluorescent light bulb in the vicinity of the coil (like 15 feet or so), and it was lit, with nothing hooked up to it. It's not that the science was never proven, his competition just convinced the world that theirs was less scary, and Tesla's could be used for more nefarious purposes. Of course, they didn't mention that theirs was no different......
on that note, edison was a dick.
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
is my hero

Palmers Fan
It's been said it parts here, but Tesla's "free" energy concept means a couple things. First he did want to just give it away to everyone. That's where Edison comes in, and capitalism put the kibash on that. The free energy that is more important is the way he intended to capture electricity from the environment. I've been interested in this for years, and have seen many videos on YouTube of people claiming to have accomplished it but almost all have been proven to be hoaxes and I'm sure the other ones are as well. No one is quite sure how Tesla invisioned it working so its one of the mysteries associated with him.

Interesting that the Russians are doing this, since it's claimed that a bunny if Russians showed up at his place soon after his death and removed a bunch of his notes and works. Probably in response to the Tunguska event.

Who knows at this point...
Feedback thread: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:16 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryn_droma View Post
Please look up the amount of power generated by solar + wind + thermal. Then look up how much power we, the planet, use. It's drops in a bucket man, even halving the the amount generated from "dirty" fuels is a dream.

I don't get why people get so hung up on nuclear waste material. There seems to be this perception that it generates absurd amounts of waste. That is simply not true. The efficiency of nuclear power means it generates something like 8000 times more energy per gram of material than fossil fuels generate.

The problem with solar is it does not generate enough power for the land it needs. Look up Ivanpah, pretty much the best solar plant, if you don't believe me.

And on the original topic, sounds awesome, I hope they can get the funding.
This is pretty much right on the money. I remember we had to take the most efficient solar panels at the time (this was 2 years ago) and see how much area we would need to supply enough power to replace a power plant for one of my thermo classes in college. I forget the exact figure, but to power Milwaukee you would need a solar farm larger than Milwaukee at least. I forget if it was the size of a state or several states, but it was ridiculous.

Solar/wind/hydro/geothermal energy sources are a very nice idea, and they can help decrease (marginally) the amount of fuel we use, but this varies widely on where you live. Arizona is the best place in america for solar panels, off the coast of the great lakes/east and west coasts are best for wind power, the midwest seems best suited for geothermal. But be that as it may, it still will never even approach half of the power generation we need. That doesn't mean I think it's not worth looking into trying to improve these technologies, but as of right now they aren't profitable and they won't help the energy problem.

Nuclear energy is only bad if you don't treat it with respect. Here in America, we treat it with the respect it deserves. We can also look to the French, who have had some success with recycling nuclear waste. The point is that nuclear waste is nowhere near as bad as it has been made out to be. Yes there are issues with it, but as long as you treat it properly it's a viable and safe energy source.
snoopay700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopay700 View Post
This is pretty much right on the money. I remember we had to take the most efficient solar panels at the time (this was 2 years ago) and see how much area we would need to supply enough power to replace a power plant for one of my thermo classes in college. I forget the exact figure, but to power Milwaukee you would need a solar farm larger than Milwaukee at least. I forget if it was the size of a state or several states, but it was ridiculous.

Solar/wind/hydro/geothermal energy sources are a very nice idea, and they can help decrease (marginally) the amount of fuel we use, but this varies widely on where you live. Arizona is the best place in america for solar panels, off the coast of the great lakes/east and west coasts are best for wind power, the midwest seems best suited for geothermal. But be that as it may, it still will never even approach half of the power generation we need. That doesn't mean I think it's not worth looking into trying to improve these technologies, but as of right now they aren't profitable and they won't help the energy problem.

Nuclear energy is only bad if you don't treat it with respect. Here in America, we treat it with the respect it deserves. We can also look to the French, who have had some success with recycling nuclear waste. The point is that nuclear waste is nowhere near as bad as it has been made out to be. Yes there are issues with it, but as long as you treat it properly it's a viable and safe energy source.
so how many more three mile islands are allowed to happen within your range of "viable and safe?"

how many chernobyls?
heinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
so how many more three mile islands are allowed to happen within your range of "viable and safe?"

how many chernobyls?
Yes, because of two events that happened because proper protocol was not followed we should eliminate this wonderful resource.

Look at all of the nuclear power plants where they handle it correctly. This doesn't happen at those plants, but why focus on the many successes when we can focus on one and a half failures?

As I said before, it is viable and safe as long as you give it the proper respect and treat it correctly. There's a reason there has been no major incidents since those two that haven't been caused by natural phenomena.
snoopay700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
Bland

So how is it that people can run their entire home off of solar power if it doesn't create enough power? I know several people that are off the grid and do not conserve electricity to stay that way. It doesn't make sense that this is possible if it requires a space larger than Milwaukee to provide Milwaukee with power.
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:30 PM   #30 (permalink)
MCB Member

It is not the electricity that is dirty that makes electric bad, it is the production and heavy metals that go into the batteries. A Prius will do more damage to the environment over its life time than the equivalent car.
bellicose is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat