mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #71 (permalink)
Banned

As I previously mentioned, MSR reactors for thorium can also consume spent nuclear fuel and get the remaining energy out of it. Conventional nuclear reactors only use about 10-15% of the potential fissionable mass in the fuel pucks/rods, while MSRs can use up about 95% of it.... Their energy yield from "recycled" fuel is more than they got out of it in the first place. All that terrible nuclear waste we've buried is actually a massive energy gold mine waiting to be exploited by new reactor tech.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #72 (permalink)
Memento mori.

Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millar156 View Post
It's not that the electricity would be free to produce. The problem, as I understand it, is that it would be impossible to meter who used how much and charge them accordingly.

Read up on Tesla and you should quickly see why this is a political issue.

And I think I'm close enough to the line as I want to get. Continue at your own peril.
I get that, but it would probably just lead to a flat fee or flat tax like my sewer bill for example. I'm a new homeowner and was wondering how they came up with the number they did for my bill. They told me it was not metered, it was a flat rate. This is not free.

Also, I think the EMF danger people are looking for is Electromagnetic field. It's hazard to us depends on frequency and field strength.
Electromagnetic radiation and health - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Finnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #73 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMachinist View Post
Maybe they can get JP Morgan to finance this project. ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Why? One of the main issues with "alternative" sources in America today is they are not operating on a free and open market. They are being put in and the power companies are paying a premium for any energy that is converted to electricity by them. The public is financing private companies that will, if these alternative methods are successful, realize vast profits. We are very effectively moving all of the risk onto the public while assuring profits will stay private.

The concern should not only be about viability it should be about the public politics and finances around what these private companies are doing.

/I have probably crossed the line. I'm not the first but I will attempt to refrain from posting more on this matter. I held out for like three days.
That was tounge in cheek.

Quote:
Kemmler murdered Matilda "Tillie" Ziegler, his common-law wife,[2] with a hatchet on March 29, 1889, and was sentenced to death by electrocution at New York's Auburn Prison.[3] His lawyers appealed, arguing that electrocution was cruel and unusual punishment. George Westinghouse was the main financial backer of the powerful and potentially deadly alternating current. After safety measures were taken in the future, AC would become the standard for distribution of main electric power. It powered the electric chair, but Westinghouse actively supported Kemmler's appeal regardless. The appeal failed, partly due to the even greater financial support of the powerful financial tycoon J. P. Morgan. Morgan was backing Thomas Edison and wanted to use the execution to show that Edison's direct current was a much safer way to provide electric power.
In reference to the fact that this was the first guy done in by one of these: Electric chair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #74 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
so at the end of the day the same irresponsible thing is happening: put the waste in a cave for someone else way into the future to figure out,
Well our government is doing that with their (our) finances. Why should they be any different here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
You'll have a tough time finding a nicer group of people on the internet(even if our opinions all suck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsilence View Post
I've dealt with canadians several times and I usually undercharge by 2-5 dollars cause I feel bad for them sometimes. Just my 2cents.

feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...k-big-jim.html
big jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #75 (permalink)
Bland

As if this thread is still open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle911 View Post
I would also request common sense, but that's the most endangered species of all.

MCB Feedback
Tdot Feedback
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #76 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
As I previously mentioned, MSR reactors for thorium can also consume spent nuclear fuel and get the remaining energy out of it. Conventional nuclear reactors only use about 10-15% of the potential fissionable mass in the fuel pucks/rods, while MSRs can use up about 95% of it.... Their energy yield from "recycled" fuel is more than they got out of it in the first place. All that terrible nuclear waste we've buried is actually a massive energy gold mine waiting to be exploited by new reactor tech.
I saw a TED by this genious kid who joked about almost being finished with high school after designing and presenting a MSR. I thought it was pretty well thought out and reasonably presented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
I really like the picture posts, because I don't understand most of the word posts.
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #77 (permalink)
Turbografx 16 Addict

Send a message via AIM to Steven_Spinosa

Brass N Wood Fan
Palmers Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
so how many more three mile islands are allowed to happen within your range of "viable and safe?"

how many chernobyls?
Nuclear Thorium reactors cannot melt down.
It is not that kind of fuel or process.
Thorium will save us all.
Steven_Spinosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #78 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertT1 View Post
I saw a TED by this genious kid who joked about almost being finished with high school after designing and presenting a MSR. I thought it was pretty well thought out and reasonably presented.
Hah! Yea they are honestly very simple design. Practical to develop and build with the latest high temp alloy and composite materials today. MSR reactors are high temp, low pressure, and potentially extremely efficient and safe. Of all the fourth gen reactor design principles, they are my favourite... And they are the best application for thorium power.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #79 (permalink)
MCB Member

CCM Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Why? One of the main issues with "alternative" sources in America today is they are not operating on a free and open market. They are being put in and the power companies are paying a premium for any energy that is converted to electricity by them. The public is financing private companies that will, if these alternative methods are successful, realize vast profits. We are very effectively moving all of the risk onto the public while assuring profits will stay private.

The concern should not only be about viability it should be about the public politics and finances around what these private companies are doing.

/I have probably crossed the line. I'm not the first but I will attempt to refrain from posting more on this matter. I held out for like three days.

Tesla and Wardenclyffe[edit]
In 1900, Morgan invested $150,000 in inventor Nikola Tesla's Wardenclyffe Tower, a high power transatlantic wireless communication project. By 1903, Tesla had spent the initial investment without completing the project, and with Guglielmo Marconi already making regular transatlantic radio transmissions with far less expensive equipment, Morgan declined to fund Tesla any further. Tesla tried to generate more interest in Wardenclyffe by revealing its ability to transmit wireless electricity, but the loss of Morgan as a backer, and the 1903 "rich man's panic" on Wall Street, dried up any further investments.[18][19][20]

tongue in cheek

Tongue-in-cheek is a figure of speech used to imply that a statement or other production is humorously or otherwise not seriously intended, and it should not be taken at face value.
“Do not yearn too much for a sword made by a famous smith. This is because even if you give a good man a sword worth ten thousand coppers, he will not be able to beat a hundred men each holding a spear worth a hundred coppers.” - Asakura Takakage Toshikage, 1462-1482

Ecc. 9-10
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, where you go.
CCMachinist is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat