mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

I left a retail job after 6 years
I climbed to store manager and was making GOOD money
but it was killing me...mentally and physically
im 33 years old and have had customers treat me like dirt during those six yrs
now im working in a plastics manufacturing facility that is one of the biggest employers this side of the state
I took a rather large paycut but ill make it back in a few yrs
I found that not being"obligated" to customers is well worth the money ill be short
remember nothing ventured...nothing gained
you always take a risk leaving your comfort zone but in my case it was the best move I have ever made
nucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks View Post
I left a retail job after 6 years
I climbed to store manager and was making GOOD money
but it was killing me...mentally and physically
im 33 years old and have had customers treat me like dirt during those six yrs
now im working in a plastics manufacturing facility that is one of the biggest employers this side of the state
I took a rather large paycut but ill make it back in a few yrs
I found that not being"obligated" to customers is well worth the money ill be short
remember nothing ventured...nothing gained
you always take a risk leaving your comfort zone but in my case it was the best move I have ever made
One thing that is killing me is the scheduling. I don't have much of a social life anymore. I only work 40 hours a week but the shifts change daily and i only get one weekend off a month. One day i'll be working 7am to 4pm the next day it will be a 1pm to 10pm. I have some running around to do tomorrow but do you think i will be able to do it? no I work 10am to 7am...
Steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Post Whore

One thing that was mentioned was the age old "my boss is a jerk" thing. You will find bad management at almost any job. How you respond to that will almost always set your course in one direction or another.
I have found that if you want your concerns to be heard by management, it helps if you approach it from the angle of, "I really want the company to be successful, and I want to make you successful as my authority... Here is something that I see that could be an obstacle to that success and here are a few ideas of how we may be able to solve it." Always come with solutions. Managers are bombarded all day by people who do nothing but tell them what the problem is. If you are the guy who always comes with solutions (but doesn't come with an "I know everything" attitude), you would probably be shocked at how quickly your stock would increase at work.

Feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html

I'm not going to cover your PayPal fees.
brando247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #14 (permalink)
Skeet Surfer!

AKA Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
My friend, you just don't have the right vendors taking care of you. I'm a vendor inside of Lowes, so I speak with experience. The other side of this being the Lowes portion. Lowes seems to be making a LOT of hasty, foolish decisions as of late. The corporate mindset is to just try to keep pace with the Orange box and disregard logic and the customer considerations. One more thing that is bad within the stores is the favoritism amongst managers, especially when it comes to promotions.

Unfortunately these sorts of things do happen almost everywhere these days. The days of working hard and gaining promotions legitimately are gone, at least in retail. It's sad.

Ganon's Armory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes View Post
Welcome back buddy! And GanonsGrin is your brother? He is the devil
GanonsGrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

You know the saying "its not what you know its who you know." That saying does not exist just because and it has existed for a long long time. The fact of the matter is thanks to what is actually a pretty remarkable education system and a "everyone needs a college education" mindset in the non-technical or specialized trades and professions there are more people who are qualified, at least on paper, than there are jobs.

Working retail is not a tremendous amount of fun. Working retail under policies written by disconnected management hundreds or thousands of miles away should qualify as cruel and unusual punishment. If you are great at your job and have a proven track record it is sometimes possible to "short-circuit" part of the idiocy on managements part that keeps you from doing your job effectively. However it is a risky proposition to attempt.
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Bland

In my opinion you shouldn't go back to school unless you want to work in medicine, science or law. Or you could always look at a trade.

Unfortunately the job market is beyond flooded with candidates with a post secondary education, so it doesn't really set you apart. Now, having 6 years under your belt at one company is good because you look loyal.

There are a lot of people that will tell you to find something you want to do and do it, but it's never that simple. You obviously need to find something that interests you, but you still need to be able to provide for yourself. Think outside the box. There are many ways to make money. Most people won't take them because of the risk involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyghost View Post
Finding a good paintball game outside your area is like trying to figure out which neighborhood is the best for buying drugs.
Current Markers:
The Modern Pirate - Convertible Feed Sheridan

MCB Feedback
Tdot Feedback
RAZRBAKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanonsGrin View Post
My friend, you just don't have the right vendors taking care of you. I'm a vendor inside of Lowes, so I speak with experience. The other side of this being the Lowes portion. Lowes seems to be making a LOT of hasty, foolish decisions as of late. The corporate mindset is to just try to keep pace with the Orange box and disregard logic and the customer considerations. One more thing that is bad within the stores is the favoritism amongst managers, especially when it comes to promotions.
Exactly! I see and hear sooo much stupid **** every single day. You just learn to shrug your shoulders and say whatever and go on with your day because nothing is going to get it to change. A majority of the seasonal cashiers they made part time but they are the most incompetent cashiers i've seen in my six years working there. I'm held accountable for my sales and because of them I have lost over $5,000 in sales because they couldn't do their job correctly pull up a simple invoice or just flat out screw something up.
Steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

Even the legal market is saturated.

Science and Engineering will get you a job soon after graduation, if that's your interest.

Definitely, the best time to search for a job is when you've got one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRBAKK View Post
In my opinion you shouldn't go back to school unless you want to work in medicine, science or law. Or you could always look at a trade.

Unfortunately the job market is beyond flooded with candidates with a post secondary education, so it doesn't really set you apart. Now, having 6 years under your belt at one company is good because you look loyal.

There are a lot of people that will tell you to find something you want to do and do it, but it's never that simple. You obviously need to find something that interests you, but you still need to be able to provide for yourself. Think outside the box. There are many ways to make money. Most people won't take them because of the risk involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashHopes View Post
DeuceSV has been waxing cars for ten years now, and he still doesn't know karate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnificent7 View Post
When DeuceSV takes a date out to a restaurant, he refuses to be seated. He simply eats all complementary mints by the cash register & leaves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinous View Post
DeuceSV is the change we can believe in, but he isn't interested in running for office at all.
DeuceSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

retail probably wasn't so bad......until corporate greed and gladhanding infected the industry
we had it good,at 34 locations and being a non-publicly traded company,the gentleman
that owned the company decided to sell.Unfortunately we were bought out by a corporate
entity with over 1000 locations....this side of the missisippi.
We as managers were told by the new company that we were actually being overpayed...
and they immediately put a wage freeze on every employee
so guess what that meant?
I couldn't give raises anymore...no raises=no one cares about their job=everything sucks
nucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Slowly making progress

Keep trying to get into management. It sounds like you know what is going on and would actually do something to improve things.

At the same time, keep your eyes open for now opportunities. It never hurts to be informed.

DT1 Dust Devil want list. Click me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neftaly View Post
New advertising tagline: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Feedback
desertT1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat