mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

Job is a job. It sounds like you've put in your time but do you really think you'll be happier somewhere else?

Mike Rowe from Dirty jobs wrote a reply to someone about finding the "perfect job" not that it applies to you but its a fun read.

A Fan Asks Mike Rowe For Life Advice... His Response Is Truly Brilliant.
Rancid1845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I feel like I have said this before:

You cannot replace intrinsic motivation with non-increasing extrinsic motivation and expect it to last. Don't work solely for pay.

Study after study have shown that prospective employees overvalue higher pay. Its amazing how far people will travel, the extra hours they will put in, and the general decrease in other positive life events they will take for a couple extra dollars on hour. Often these don't even mathematically hold (drive two extra hours for an 8 hour work day to make $16 an hour rather than $14 an hour for instance). Yet time and time again people take more money.

There is no correlation between an increase in happiness (long term) and making more money assuming you are not living in poverty. All the statistically significant increases in correlation disappear when a cut-off line is drawn at certain levels of poverty.

That being said.... for me there is a major difference between doing work I enjoy and working in an industry I enjoy (they are separate things). For instance in my current job decisions are based off careful analysis, ethical considerations, industry standards, and overall life quality for myself and employees. When I attempted to open and run a paintball field decisions were far too emotional to be effective. Find something that you can motivate yourself to do aside from the money. There is a difference between being able to motivate yourself and fully enjoying it. The money is nice but I can almost assure you, based on what I know about it, that you overvalue it in selecting your job.
Lohman446 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
I like cunningstunts

Hey man. This book could really help. I used it and it was great.

What color is your parachute?
What Color Is Your Parachute? 2014: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers: Richard N. Bolles: 9781607743620: Amazon.com: Books

Stupid title, i know, but its a best seller.

About half the book is dedicated to figuring yourself out and finding out what kinds of jobs you'd like the most. I can't vouch for that part. The other half is how to find and secure jobs. It was pretty eye opening.

Also, I think you definitely don't want to quit this job before you get another one. Not just for the security. People would rather hire someone that currently has a job. You might find an amazing job offer and you'll want to give it everything you've got.

Good luck
spikeBasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
Post Whore

over the years i worked with a lot managers that did not know what they where doing or did not want to get up and help. i also worked with people that where just looking for easy job. but they where not. when i was training people to work at truss factory you get 1 week to prove you can work in saw dept. if not i would have you sent out side stack truss to give you chance to stay. i even seen store manager go from making 80k to making only 20$ hour for 40hrs week. that huge pay cute. for not doing his job and not know night shift was steal from store.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:01 PM   #25 (permalink)
Post Whore

Well, from reading the original post and skipping the rest, I've gotten the impression that you think these "idiots" disappear when they walk out the door. They don't. They go somewhere else and bug the competent people there. Then they go to their jobs, where they annoy their co-workers just as they have done to you at your current place of employment. They are everywhere and once you have begun to see them, you will always find them.

If loud pipes save lives imagine what bright pink helmets could do.

my feedback http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/f...-feedback.html
K_Obeastly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:09 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6977 View Post
I'd look before you quite.
This x 1000 ^^

It's so much less stressful to be able to look for a new job while still getting a steady paycheck! Take it from someone that got cut to part time just long enough so that when I was let go, my unemployment was based on my PT salary and not my FT salary. I was an idiot and didn't see the writing on the wall until it was too late. I spent the next 18 months scrambling to find another job while getting mere pennies on the dollar after taxes and child support to survive. On top of everything I had hated the job for years before getting let go but because it was a steady job I never bothered to keep my eyes open.

Oddly enough I found my dream job as a Sr. IT Engineer with a growing Managed Services Provider (MSP) from an ad on Craigslist of all places! Have been there 2 years+, and while it can be stressful at times and frustrating communicating with 3rd party vendors, 95% of the job is amazing. Great co-workers and managers, good salary, and I learn something new almost every day.

College can help depending on what career you want, but a trade school certificate could be a foot in the door as many have job placements right after graduation.

Good luck in your search! And even when you find a new job, never stop looking and ALWAYS keep your resume up to date just in case something better comes along.

PS. Having worked in retail for almost 10 years in my late teens through 20's, it's by far the worse type of job. If it's not incompetent bosses and managers yelling at you for every tiny infraction while they sit in a back office surfing the web and pretending to do their job, it's the customers yelling at you because they didn't get their way. On top of all the aggravation, the pay is absolute crap. It's truly a Lose-Lose type of job with only small glimmers of happiness.

Immortals Paintball
Honor... Above all else.

Last edited by Azoth; 07-11-2014 at 11:20 PM.
Azoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #27 (permalink)

i find with out a computer ordering system its all most imposable to do that job to a t. your going to have to cut corners. its hard to work when the managers dont work much stock and dont no what they ordered so more stuff = more time spent to move that back stock out of that way. also its really hard to find good workers that care enough but that pays its slim to non. that's the problem im facing. im just plane sick of it haha is there some site that list jobs? i dont want to do this for the rest of my life but i dont no what to do. i was watching dirty jobs and one job was smashing walls and i also like to recycle computer stuff but i dont no.
thrasher_565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azoth View Post

PS. Having worked in retail for almost 10 years in my late teens through 20's, it's by far the worse type of job. If it's not incompetent bosses and managers yelling at you for every tiny infraction while they sit in a back office surfing the web and pretending to do their job, it's the customers yelling at you because they didn't get their way. On top of all the aggravation, the pay is absolute crap. It's truly a Lose-Lose type of job with only small glimmers of happiness.

Yesterday at work I was getting a hard time from one of the managers because I called a Paint associate over to mix paint for a customer instead of just mixing the paint. I blatantly told him "i just did what all of the managers do, I delegated..." He just looked at me went "yup" and turned around and walked away. The managers at my work hate it when you bring up or talk about the truth.
Steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #29 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

What do you like to do? Start with careers based on that. I never expected to go to sea but I find it is a fun and challenging career that gives me a lot of time off and good pay.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:43 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboater203 View Post
What do you like to do? Start with careers based on that. I never expected to go to sea but I find it is a fun and challenging career that gives me a lot of time off and good pay.
I started a Paintball business and i'm in the process of trying to build it right now. Hopefully with any luck next year I can quit Lowe's and count on my business for income. I really appreciate all of the feedback. It's awesome being able to hear all the stories and experiences from everyone.
Steve_81 is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat