mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainman View Post
This is exactly my point. I am looking past the wheelchair and seeing them simply as father and daughter. I'm sure there were other children or parent child teams that blew this performance out of the water and despite how good they may have been they stand 0 chance of winning.
Not about winning or losing brother, it is about being in the event. Pops loves his girl enough to come in last with her.

feedback

http://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via AIM to martix_agent

Quote:
This is exactly my point. I am looking past the wheelchair and seeing them simply as father and daughter. I'm sure there were other children or parent child teams that blew this performance out of the water and despite how good they may have been they stand 0 chance of winning.
I feel the same way as you do. It is fantastic that he cares about his daughter, and I understand that it's very hard dealing with her handicap. It's unfair to other competing though. It's almost as if if you have a handicap, you're given a free pass when it comes to emotional feelings from other people.

Did you guys see that a miss america contestant wore her insulin pump for the bikini contest recently? Everyone freaked out and said it was a huge step for diabetics. You know, wearing the thing that keeps her alive... She doesn't deserve special attention either, yet she gets it.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
It's almost as if if you have a handicap, you're given a free pass when it comes to emotional feelings from other people.
You're right, they're so lucky. It's not fair that they get all the attention and feelings, while I have to deal with walking and talking.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
Old 07-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martix_agent View Post
I feel the same way as you do. It is fantastic that he cares about his daughter, and I understand that it's very hard dealing with her handicap. It's unfair to other competing though. It's almost as if if you have a handicap, you're given a free pass when it comes to emotional feelings from other people.

Did you guys see that a miss america contestant wore her insulin pump for the bikini contest recently? Everyone freaked out and said it was a huge step for diabetics. You know, wearing the thing that keeps her alive... She doesn't deserve special attention either, yet she gets it.
Nicole Johnson wore an insulin pump on stage in 1999 as well. Sierra Sandison was not the first to do that by 15 years. The notion that any of these people are try to draw extra attention to themselves is silly. It is a pageant, so it is nothing more than a "look at me" event anyway. The poor souls who feel some sort of pity for a participant that is willing to celebrate their "flaws" are missing the point. They are NOT out there for a pity vote, the participation is about strength and character. If you voted for them simply because of a disability or health problem you do not have the character to share the stage with them.

feedback

http://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

I am going to risk stepping over the line for just a moment: Mother Theresa summed up the paradoxical commandments with the following phrase "in the final analysis it is between you and God; it was never between you and them anyway." This statement does not need to be specific to any religion it holds pretty well across them. I use it because I intend to sum up my post by paraphrasing it.

Who the hell cares who wins? You know how hard it is to raise a child let alone one with special needs? As a parent you put yourself out there and it is very clear this gentleman is doing just that.

Life is not meant to be a competition. All we can do is the best we can do with our children. I don't see this parent out there doing this for anyone but his daughter. There is no competition for him. Its not between him and those watching or judging on the internet. Its between him and his daughter. I highly doubt he cares what the rest of us really think. We could all, as parents, learn a lot from this.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
You guys are the ones missing the point. I am not saying the girl is out looking for extra attention. I also agree the father, and probably her whole family, care for her greatly and that is awesome. My point is if I was a judge at this talent show, I would not vote for them and I dont like that I have to feel like a bad guy for doing so.

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Quote:
You guys are the ones missing the point. I am not saying the girl is out looking for extra attention. I also agree the father, and probably her whole family, care for her greatly and that is awesome. My point is if I was a judge at this talent show, I would not vote for them and I dont like that I have to feel like a bad guy for doing so.
I don't think you have to vote for them or feel bad. My point is that I highly doubt the dad is doing it to gain your vote or the vote of anyone else. He is doing it for his daughter and what anyone else thinks is likely of little consequence to him. Not voting for it is not an issue. I'm not even certain why there would be (or if there are) judges at an event of that level. I know that the middle school here holds a talent show every year and it is expressly not judged.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ridin' The ShortBus

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
Kilt Fan
Palmers Fan
I think everyone is missing the point... It's just cool her father is willing to help his daughter participate in a talent show. Don't think they are thinking "Wr better not miss a step, or we won't place in the top three", but more about putting a smile on his daughters face.
The Southern Alberta Pump League TheSAPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApoC_101 View Post
I'd date a girl with a cocker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappadapink View Post
....bro, you just gave me a quarter chub.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Semper Fi

CCM Fan
Brass N Wood Fan
But you see, whether they care about what other people think or not, or if they are trying to win or not, they affect peoples lives in this situation, both good for moving people emotionally, and bad for crushing the hopes of another 10 year old or whatever who gave his all, worked tirelessly day and night to put together his routine, and gets nothing for it.

Then again, maybe that didnt happen I dont know. I just like to, what is the word for someone who argues the other side just because no one else is?

ANGELS FOR LIFE!!!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
I like Guns and Cigars.

Quote:
But you see, whether they care about what other people think or not, or if they are trying to win or not, they affect peoples lives in this situation, both good for moving people emotionally, and bad for crushing the hopes of another 10 year old or whatever who gave his all, worked tirelessly day and night to put together his routine, and gets nothing for it.
You're right. It is selfish of them to think they should be allowed to participate in things that able bodied/minded people do.

There's a difference between playing devil's advocate and exposing that you are a sociopath.

Otter Customs Paintball - - - - Straight Up Cigars - - - - My Feedback
Closed Thread

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat