mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Those Pump Guyz

I think you are being overly concerned with being polite. If the job is failing to live up to your expectations and you want to leave it, there is nothing wrong with saying "Hey, I've got a job lined up, here's my two weeks notice." That isn't rude at all. Throw in a "thank you" for the job if you feel it is warranted. If you did quality work in return for a pay check, then you don't really owe him anything other than a two weeks notice. The notice is you being polite.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
could use a little doe...

Send a message via AIM to Buck Send a message via MSN to Buck

Fan of EMR
He sounded really offended I didn't give him more than a month. He had "long term plans" for me but I've already been burned twice by him. He also knew that I had my degree and I only really wanted to commit to summer work. Had he stayed with his original promise things I think could have been different but even still it isn't something I want to commit to the rest of my life doing. The last thing I want to do is to get stuck out here. And working there in the winter really stinks.

<Pif> I bet. Sandriges are the epitome of awesome. Coolest electro ever.
<Pif> If it could move itself, I'm sure it would attempt to hunt down John Connor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottthetot View Post
no ones gonna want to fight something dressed as a giant deer
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
I've porked many

Send out lots of applications, get job, give notice, and move on.

My Feedback Thread[/SIZE][/SIZE]
pillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Just Some Guy

It doesn't matter what they say, their actions have already told you the truth.

Search YouTube for the song "50 ways to leave your lover" and take notes.

My Feedback
MarkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

Did you or he ever have any expectations that you would work there forever? I understand unless I give my employees vested options there is no reason to believe they will stay there until the retire. While it is inconvenient when they leave the thing I ask everyone on the first day is that when they decide to leave we do so on good terms. Move on - he will eventually understand.

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
MCB Member

Fan of EMR
Palmers Fan
You are being manipulated. A liar does not change. If he is having trouble meeting payroll, the company will likely fail sooner, than later. I would not worry about any poor reference he might give. The vast majority of employers will do nothing more than confirm employment (title and dates of employment) as anything negative can be actionable. You owe him nothing other than a fair days work. If he had spent a lot of money on training or something similar, then maybe. Instead, he has failed to follow through with anything he has said. In the meantime, if he hands you a known bad paycheck, take it to the bank immediately and try to cash it. If they can't due to insufficient funds, have them mark it accordingly and take it to the county police. He is committing a felony and you need to cover your butt. Frankly, you could document everything, quit now and likely collect unemployment while looking for a job that is more appropriate for your skill set.

Remember one thing, loyalty is not given, it must be earned. From your story, the only thing he has earned is a boot to the nads.

Feedback
tarakian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
could use a little doe...

Send a message via AIM to Buck Send a message via MSN to Buck

Fan of EMR
I havn't been on in so long I forgot how to multiquote haha.

Lohman; Yeah I'm not really "trained" there in any special way. Harvesting the ice blocks only requires a brain and maybe a solid week before you can get as good as it as you are going to get. Driving a truck just involves being able to drive. The most "skilled" thing they have me doing involves doing setups, where I have to set up the Ice sculptures on site at wherever it is. (usually country clubs or other places rich people gather) That just involves being strong and knowing the little tips and tricks as to how to pick up the sculpture. So basically he has lots of "trust" invested in me because he is confident in my driving ability as well as my ability to do setups; show up on time; all the other things that a boss should just naturally expect from employees (the labor market is rough)

Tarakian. Yeah. The whole payroll thing has happened about 5 times since i've been working here. It kind of happens in spurts but it is always conveniently when I need money. It's always awkward though. the people at the bank would tell me "We can't cash this but we legally can't tell you why." I asked "shouldn't I be privy to the reason why the paycheck I need to pay my bills can't cash?" and they just say something about confidentiality. I asked around and apparently he has 5 days from the date of the check? The law enforcement around here isn't really the greatest. It's a small town and people talk and I don't' want to get burned out of having any job around here. I'd love to move away but I am desperate for a job. I have a few applications out and some of them look really promising so I really hope it works out.

<Pif> I bet. Sandriges are the epitome of awesome. Coolest electro ever.
<Pif> If it could move itself, I'm sure it would attempt to hunt down John Connor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottthetot View Post
no ones gonna want to fight something dressed as a giant deer
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #18 (permalink)
Post Whore

CCM Fan
Wrong. Yoiu are legally entitled to know why YOUR money YOU earned is unavailable. Screw this guy and as soon as another gig opens up for you, pop in your 2 weeks then get the hell out! I'm sure OSHA would love to hear that workers are moving 300lb blocks of ice are essentially being moved with a broken winch. He's screwing you bad and not even giving you the decency of using lube, time to give him a dose of his own medicine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartin View Post
i think you will be fine. Fed Ex was always good to me until my wifes dog bit the driver. they usually don't avoid you unless they have a reason.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
MCBs armed pacifist

A boss who will guilt you into staying is not worth working for

"Use peaceful means where they are appropriate; but where they are not appropriate, do not hesitate to resort to more forceful - Thupten Gyatso (the Dalai Lama, 1932)

"It is not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters" Coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"The ink of scholars is more precious than the blood of martyrs" - Muhammed
Lohman446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Post Whore

There's an art to being 'politely belligerent'. I'll do a lot for someone that asks nicely. I tend to avoid conflict at all costs, but guilting me doesn't fly and when they've had plenty of chances or the cost might be someone's broken leg, I cut that off fast.

The first time he handed me a paycheck and told me there wasn't money to cash it yet, he and everyone in that area of the shop would have heard it.

I've been there when a friend quit a job where the manager said he had "long-term plans" for him. My buddy told him "You've *had* me long-term, and the new guys are in the spots you promised me."

Stay there until you get a new job. Report the OSHA violations without raising suspicion, and keep a lawyer's number on hand in case that comes back at you. As soon as you find new work, tell the guy that you found work in your field, he hasn't held up his end of the deal, and you're gone in two weeks to the minute.
My MCB Feedback
My eBay Feedback
Moriearty Hobby Supply on eBay and Facebook.
Deus Machina is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat