mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
could use a little doe...

Send a message via AIM to Buck Send a message via MSN to Buck

Fan of EMR
How to politely leave a job when your boss doesn't want you to.

Hey all; Long time no see.

I've gotten myself in quite the pickle. I recently graduated with a degree in Biology from the University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown. During the summers I worked for the last 3 years at a place that makes custom ice sculptures for people who all have way more money for people. The summer work was alright so I figured I would go back and work there. My boss promised me that I wouldn't be doing a lot of the grunt work anymore and that I would be running the CNC machine most of the time and that he was going to teach me ice carving (I know some now but like anything of that nature a lot of practice is better). That was back in April; I've been working there ever since and basically everything has gone to crap. Not only have I been doing most of the grunt work still but part of my new job involves driving huge box trucks into and out of Brooklyn NYC and all over. It really isn't something I like doing and I've mentioned it to him several times. I've also let him know how I'm rather dissapointed that I'm still stuck doing so much of the "entry level" tasks. It is all very important to do and I understand that but then he hires a new kid straight out of high school to do the CNC work daily; instead of teaching him my job and promoting me like he originally promised. I'm not salty at the kid at all as he is a really nice guy but I find it rather frustrating as the reason why he kept saying I had to do it was that they were short staffed and didn't have anyone else to do it. Now that we are no longer short staffed I'm still stuck at the crap end of the stick.

I've let my boss know that I'm applying for several internships and he is very unhappy about me leaving. He keeps promising me all of the things he originally promised in the first place. But I really don't trust him. Working here has been worse than it usually is. The boss gives us our paychecks bi-weekly on Fridays and then says "Oh yeah; You can't cash those until Wednesday because I have no money;" but then brags about how excited he is to be vacationing in Italy for 2 weeks. He spends hundreds of dollars on frivolous things but things like our winch (that we use to pick up 300 lb ice blocks) are broken in such a way that it drops the ice suddenly and is a HUGE safety hazard. I work over 50 hours a week sometimes but still only bring home 1,200 to 1,500 a month and when I get home I'm so worn out all I do is sleep. I really want a job where I can do something more in line of where my skills lie such as educating people or doing environmental research yet my boss is so desperate to keep me?

I called him today and let him know that I was very unhappy but he has been begging and guilt tripping me to stay. How do I leave without being a jerk?

TL;DR version.

I want to leave my job because
1. the conditions are unsafe
2. I'm very overqualified for the position and it has nothing to do with what I went to school and paid lots of money and worked very hard to get a degree for
3. the hours suck
4. It's something I'm NOT happy doing whatsoever
5. I want to focus more on getting a real job and working towards having a real career

But my boss keeps guilt tripping / begging / lying to me and tricking me into staying. What is a good way for me to tell him that I'm through?

<Pif> I bet. Sandriges are the epitome of awesome. Coolest electro ever.
<Pif> If it could move itself, I'm sure it would attempt to hunt down John Connor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottthetot View Post
no ones gonna want to fight something dressed as a giant deer
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bubble bubble...

Uh, from what I recall, it's illegal to not pay your employees on payday. He is not allowed to make requests about cashing cheques late. If that fact was known by the authorities, fecal matter would hit the oscillating air device. You can easily just quit and should feel no guilt about it. You have a life to live too, and shouldn't endanger it to allow him to go on vacations. Tell him to straighten up or you walk to the authorities. There should be no 'polite' about it.
If the 'gh' in enough is pronounced 'f', the 'o' in women as a short 'i' sound, the 'ti' in nation as 'sh', and the 'i' in radio is pronounced as an 'ee' sound, then technically: "Ghotii" is pronounced "Fishy"
My Feedback
Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
www.yankeepaintball.com

Send a message via Yahoo to Tugboater203

Give him 2 weeks and stick to it. I wouldn't ask him for a reference if it can be avoided.

Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE . Distributor for Valken, KEE, APP and GI Sportz

Need Yankee Paintball info fast? Email or call 203-906-9621.
Tugboater203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Marksman

You could always go this route http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9A4UGtM4hDQ lol!!
Old 08-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Un Tico

Apply apply apply for a new job once you get that give him your two weeks. In my opinion he already messed up and lost you by hiring someone from the outside giving him and training him on stuff you should have gotten long ago. Instead of taking care of you who has done everything asked of him and more, you were loyal. You don't owe him anything, at the end he is looking out for himself and you should be too. Why waste your time, talents, and break your back for someone that does not do what he says he would for you. Biggest thing for me, if I don't like the job I am doing and the people I work for/with, just straight up hating it. It is time to move on before it starts affecting my mood, angry all the time and hating the rest of life. That is something I can tell you happened to me, just one job had gotten to me was not enjoying waking up each morning and going in. Was really changing me from easy going, usually positive, fun joking type of guy to just moody and little angry. I actually caught myself one day and **** this is not me, got new job left the old one after 9 yrs and never looked back.

Last edited by C_losjoker; 08-20-2014 at 09:09 PM.
C_losjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Discovered the Hidden Cup

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
My advice:
1. Shut up
2. Find new job
3. Two weeks
4. Sayonara

Except I would make noise RIGHT NOW about that safety hazard and report it to OSHA if necessary to get action.

And as for how to be polite about it, just be polite about it. You have a degree in the useful sciences. You have the reasonable expectation to find a job worth more than $25k/year.
Feedback
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
MCB Member

Polite?

The first time anyone told me they wrote me a rubber paycheck I would rudely tell them to smoke every inch of my manhood, call the labor dept, OSHA, the IRS and the KGB.

Manners are for respectful relationships. This aint one of them.

feedback

http://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
I talked to my parents about this and they support me quitting. That is good though. They agree with me on that every day I am not actively seeking employment that it is taking a step backwards. It's just frustrating that every time I set aside more time to send out more applications I get called in because of other peoples incompetence. I have 2 promising outlooks now but unfortunately I already used him as a reference on one of them and I'm trying not to piss him off too much because I wouldn't put it past him at this point to lie to them so that I get stuck here longer. The other ****ty thing is I live kind of near EMR and those who have been there or driven up that way can see how terrible the job outlook is. I really don't want to screw him over too bad because if this whole thing falls flat on my face I'd like to be able to go back there because he pays way better than anything else I could get around this area :/

I made an appointment to talk to him on either Friday or Saturday (he couldn't commit a day or a time) I told him I really wanted to quit on the phone and he was DESPERATE. But I think i'm just going to stick to my guns because working here has literally caused me to be miserable.

<Pif> If it could move itself, I'm sure it would attempt to hunt down John Connor.

Quote:
Old 08-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fan of EMR
Thanks for this though; I really needed reassurance that wasn't from my parents that I'm not crazy for wanting to leave so bad.

Quote:
Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
MCB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck View Post
I talked to my parents about this and they support me quitting. That is good though. They agree with me on that every day I am not actively seeking employment that it is taking a step backwards. It's just frustrating that every time I set aside more time to send out more applications I get called in because of other peoples incompetence. I have 2 promising outlooks now but unfortunately I already used him as a reference on one of them and I'm trying not to piss him off too much because I wouldn't put it past him at this point to lie to them so that I get stuck here longer. The other ****ty thing is I live kind of near EMR and those who have been there or driven up that way can see how terrible the job outlook is. I really don't want to screw him over too bad because if this whole thing falls flat on my face I'd like to be able to go back there because he pays way better than anything else I could get around this area :/

I made an appointment to talk to him on either Friday or Saturday (he couldn't commit a day or a time) I told him I really wanted to quit on the phone and he was DESPERATE. But I think i'm just going to stick to my guns because working here has literally caused me to be miserable.
He will make you feel needed. You will commit to more than you want too. He will still screw you because you being a good guy will not change him.

feedback

http://www.cafepress.com/paintshirt

Cool swag to promote your sport!

Honey badger don't care! Honey badger don't give a @#$%.

Shipped price is valid to domestic buyers and will be USPS priority. International buyers are welcome, but will cover additional costs. Insurance costs are included. If you prefer an uninsured package, you the buyer will assume all risk once I ship.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat