mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Yiffy Support Gunner

Send a message via AIM to slvrwulf

Remember when...

Remember when being a Scout was considered honorable for a kid, and they were the ones alot of the littler kids looked up to?

http://www.wmur.com/news/9699740/detail.html

DUBLIN, N.H. -- Police said that a 14-year-old boy was stabbed in the chest at a Boy Scout camp in Dublin on Friday morning.

Police said the teen was stabbed in the upper chest. He was taken by helicopter to Boston Medical Center, where he underwent surgery to remove the knife. Hospital officials expected him to be released in two days.

The stabbing occurred at Camp Wanocksett, which is run by a Scout council from Massachusetts.

"This morning at about 7 o'clock, a scout was injured in the campsite," camp program director Dan Megan said. "We brought them to the help lodge, where the emergency medical services were called."

Police said another 14-year-old stabbed the boy, and the two were friends from the same Massachusetts community. They said they didn't believe there was animosity between the two.

"One incident may have led to another," Sgt. David Griffin said. "That's what we're trying to determine -- if it was accidental or if there was intent."

The boys' names have not been released. Police said they were continuing their investigation and have not decided whether charges will be filed.

Now, maybe this is just me, but, how do you "accidentally" stab someone in the chest?
slvrwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Shiny. Let's be bad guys

Send a message via AIM to Kindred Send a message via MSN to Kindred

Fan of EMR
Brass N Wood Fan
I was a scout, and admitedly, some of us were kinda shady as teenages......but never anything like that!

Strive for that moment when you're only a slice of pizza and a hooker away from paradise.
Kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Post Whore

I had a friend once suddenly walk infront of my throwing knife target just as I let go, and get him self cut (the blade wasn't fully turned yet, the target was further down than he was) a bit when it smacked him.

He used to go around saying I stabbed him after that.

He was trying to some how compensate for the fact that I could say he shot me with a .22, when we were shooting rats in a junk pile, and one glanced off an engine block, and hit me in the thigh.

I used to get after him after that about checking his targets before he shot, and I think he walked in front of me when throwing the knife on purpose thinking it would shut me up. There was a big difference, I was aware of my target, and what was behind it, and an idiot walked in front of me right when I released. Huge difference when an idiot points a gun at something, and doesn't see that there is a person behind that something, and that same idiot walks in front of someone else throwing a knife.

Anyways, we were around that age at the time, so I could see it.

I am amazed at times that I even survived my teen years.

We used to joust on skateboards, try to knock eachother off of big electric cable spools with pipes, while roll-ramming them at each other like walking on logs.

Many other crazy things done among friends, that were stupid, dangerous, risky, and rough.

We used to laugh about seeing other kids "fight" because we used to play around rougher than most kids fought.

Last edited by Christian Nelson; 08-21-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Christian Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

Interesting story: My father who was a boy scout decided at around the age of 8 or so, his sons should join the boyscouts. He then took both my brother and myself to the next open house. After hearing the scoutmaster prattle on about civic responsibility, helping the community, blah, blah, blah. He opened the floor to questions. My then 7yo brother was the first with first with his hand up.

"When do we get to shoot guns?".

I swear, you could have heard a pin drop. Now, keep in mind that this was in a borough of New York city, where you're not likely to get the chance to get a trapping badge, or land navigation.

If the boy scouts were still like they were when my father was in it in the 1940's - heck, I have a Boyscout manual from 1962(what he was doing with it, I have no idea)and the information in it is very useful - like dealing with medical emergencies.

HTRN
HTRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Morbidly Sarcastic!

Send a message via AIM to Tescrash Send a message via Yahoo to Tescrash

I'm a Scout, Life rank & close to Eagle. It's really sad when something like this happens. Much like the paintball community, it only takes one bad egg....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Of A-5
I thought you were serious for a moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurtcow
I am. That's a dude that desperately wants to be a chick.
Tescrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

I got into a knife fight when I was a Boy Scout at camp ... well kinda.

I think I was 13 and we had this big camp out thing going on. My cousin who was in the Marines knew about it and sent me a huge box of stuff, like camo, sleeping bag, C-rations etc. What a hell of a surprise to get. The best thing in the box was a K-Bar knife. Man I loved that knife.

At camp there was this one punk kid who's probably in jail now. We did NOT get along. He cornered me on a wooden dock and threatened me with his crappy swiss army knock off knife. He also had a couple of his friends with him too. I was kinda nervous to say the least. I pulled out my K-Bar and it ended up slipping out of my hand and sticking into the wood at the feet of my opponent. I was thinking "oh crap I just lost my knife" but what it looked like from the other side was some Ninja move and that I had done it on purpose. My opponent freaked out and ran. His "friends" told everyone what happened and how I threw a knife at him right between his feet. Nobody bothered me after that and the rest of the trip was nice an pleasant.

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Red=Moderator

The only problem we had was that some kid stole .22's from the range.

For some reason the head range master had to leave the range, so he left the assistant range master in charge... but there was to be NO MORE shooting.. so everybody had to turn in their bullets and brass...this kid some how took advantage of the situation and walked off with brass and bullets... but left his target.

Well when the range master came back he counted everything up andrealized that they were a few .22's short.. and then he saw the target still out on the line..... they found the kid and sent him home.

That was about as bad as it got 15 years ago when I was a scout.

Erik Schmitt
Eagle Scout
Troop 399
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mod/mod

Fan of EMR
Unhappy

When I was a Cub Scout, my troop and I (some fifteen boys) attacked and killed our Scoutmaster after it was revealed to us that he was a homosexual.

They were gonna make us a special merit badge, but various moms and the press got wind of it, so the cancelled the patch, but gave us a big pizza and beer party instead.

Unfortunately, just a few years later, I was struck by lightning and killed during a storm safety meeting at the National Scout Jamoboree.

Bummer.

Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Post Whore

Send a message via MSN to Gabe

My troop had this kid a while back who was stealing stuff all over camp. He was a guest in our camp because his troop had gone to camp without him (for good reason). When a bunch of people's stuff (and my I-pod) went missing we kind of used process of elimination to figure out who it was. When we busted into his tent we found all our stuff right on top of his pack along with a bunch of this kid's cigarettes. We decided not to rat him out but instead just made his 'camp experience' a living hell (not in a bad way, in the 'do all our chores or you're screwed' kind of way).

"What makes a VM so charming is that you can chop down small trees with it" - Jaan
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum View Post
When I was a Cub Scout, my troop and I (some fifteen boys) attacked and killed our Scoutmaster after it was revealed to us that he was a homosexual.

They were gonna make us a special merit badge, but various moms and the press got wind of it, so the cancelled the patch, but gave us a big pizza and beer party instead.

Unfortunately, just a few years later, I was struck by lightning and killed during a storm safety meeting at the National Scout Jamoboree.

Bummer.

AHAHAHA!
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat