mcarterbrown.com  

General Chat MCB's Coffee House: Pull up a seat, and grab your favorite caffeinated beverage. Non-paintball related chat within.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Yiffy Support Gunner

Send a message via AIM to slvrwulf

Don't steal from a Marine

FORT LUPTON, Colo. -- The mayor of Fort Lupton, who operates two funeral homes, has been afforded police protection after receiving death threats following a 7NEWS investigation that revealed he has refused to repay money illegally kept from a U.S. Marine who died.

"I've been getting a lot of phone calls from a lot of different people, a lot of threats," said Jim Bostick, the mayor of Fort Lupton.

Bostick is worried about his personal safety and that of his business and he now admits he made a big mistake.

"It's my fault ... I will try to do whatever I can with Mrs. Sepulveda to get this issue put to bed," Bostick said. "As soon as I get the money, it's her's. I mean, fast. Because, you know, I can't keep putting up with the threats against myself and my family."

While he may be sincere this time, Bostick claims he doesn't have $7,500 a Weld County court said he owes Elis Sepulveda.

Sepulveda is the mother of a U.S. Marine who was killed in a car accident and brought back to Fort Lupton for burial. Jason Sepuldeva's savings were sent to Bostick's funeral home. It was money Bostick had no right to but he refused to return it.

"He was the person who received the money," said Magistrate Rebecca Koppes Conway. Conway assessed the judgment against Bostick in small claims court but can't force him to pay.

"This is not a criminal matter. The only time that people get arrested for not paying their bills is if there is an order of the court to pay and there is a contempt citation and then there's a finding after that the person is in contempt," said Conway.

Bostick has many outstanding debts including more than $11,000 he owes in child support. 7NEWS has learned his mayoral paycheck is garnished monthly.

But he said he hasn't decided yet if if he going to resign as mayor.

"My personal financial issues have nothing to do with my job as mayor," Bostick said. "My intentions were not to screw over a Marine veteran. You know, I'm a veteran myself. I take care of veterans everyday."

"So why didn't you just pay it?" 7NEWS Investigator John Ferrugia asked.

After a long pause Bostick said, "I should have."

Several city officials are urging the Fort Lupton mayor to pay the Sepulvedas as soon as possible, hoping that the firestorm, which has nothing to do with city business, will subside.

As one official put it, "This has nothing to do with the Marines vs. Fort Lupton. This is about how Jim Bostick is doing his private business."

You DON'T steal from a Marine. you DON'T steal from a dead Marines family.... I'm truly amazed someoen would think they could get away with this.
slvrwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

Wow. I have no idea why he wouldn't have been charged with theft and put in jail.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
MCB Member

i've read something similar before w/ a deceased military personnel. opposite outcome, though.
the life insurance company had the right name, wrong person and wrong address.
it took months for the good samaritan to find the father of the deceased, who should've been receiving the cash.

let the idiot mayor pay it back before putting him in jail, but there is the child support he also needs to pay...

Last edited by freedom; 08-22-2006 at 10:01 AM.
freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
XYZZY

Send a message via AIM to Jaan Send a message via Yahoo to Jaan

I'm still not quite sure what the big deal is that the guy was a Marine. Are Marines somehow considered more human than us lowly plebs, an therefor entitled to be treated with more respect?

I can understand mentioning that he was a Marine if he died in combat, but he died in a car accident. Would this article be beating you over the head with the guys occupation if he was just a janitor?

"My happiness doesn't depend on anything. My heart is always happy. I do have anger issues though."
Jaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Post Whore

It's the whole "this person risked their life for us and should be treated as such" Besides, it's Semper Fi, always faithful, to god, country, fellow soldier. Most likely the threats are coming from other Marines.

Does he deserve to go to jail? Yes, it's a theft crime, grand larceny to be exact. Is it better if he stays out of jail? Yes, he can work to repay his debt. Should he resign as Mayor? Personally I don't want a mayor that is a thief. Should he have his *** kicked for stealing from someone in grief? I would be glad to.
El Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Yiffy Support Gunner

Jaan,m the point of the Marine mnentioning, the Marines are a world wide, thousands and thousands member family. This mayor has complaints and death threats from Marines all over the country and the world.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Member

So who is committing a bigger crime here? The mayor who is a thief or the people who may or may not be "Marines" calling in death threats?

If this Mayor of South Park had been someone important, such as the President of the United States, those making those threats would have been arrested for making such threats (or had a nice visit by the Feds)...

At the same time, No matter what you think of our current president, I just don't see "W" stealing what would be pocket change to him and owing $11k in Child Support.
mike31c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
MCB Member

Send a message via MSN to Frontier_Bill

The threats are rightful, as taht mayor is withholding/stealing money from a family in greif. Not just any family, but the family of a man that fought for our freedom. The threats are not a bigger crime.
Also, if he was anyone important and respecting/respectful, this would not have happened.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.
Team Rogue Cell #10
Feedback
NO'MAAM #16
Frontier_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
GWC Lifetime Member

While I hate theives and think the mayor should pay back the money with interest, death is NOT an equal punishment to the crime PERIOD, I dont give a flyin flip what your chosen profession was. The fact that the dead man was a marine doesnt change the crime any or make the punishment any more severe than if the dea guy was the local High School janitor.
Al Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Yiffy Support Gunner

In my opinion the career doesn't matter here, the Marine corp intervened, and Marines started making the threats, when they heard that the mayor was withholding money from this mans mother. They saw that someone was being stolen from, robbed, and made the threats i nan attempt to get teh woman her sons money. I don't really see it as ANY worse then you seeing someone being robbed, and attempting t oscare off the robber. same scenarion, just this one involves thousands of people seeing the woman being robbed.

mcarterbrown.com » General » General Chat